"Truly, songs and tales fall utterly short of your stupidness. Err,"

"MY PARDON?"

"Stupendousness! I meant stupendousness, O Smaug the inexpressibly wonderful!"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

Branch: Ekaterina

Who are we hiding from?

I love the idea, but I'm warning you that I've been rather busy of late. But as soon as Dec. 13/14 hits, I'll be able to write more. So, we can start planning now. What did you have in mind?

I've never actually written a story with someone else before. (There is the thing 99's doing, but we haven't exactly started yet.)
  • Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

@Bess: Oh, Oz is already in my class. He's totally flunking it.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Branch: Janus

'Preciate the support miss! You have a way of indelibly charming your more gifted students. I'll bring an apple next time I make it to class. (Oh, and we're hiding from a small tribe of demonic troll-like gnomes that are incredibly illiterate. Instead of taking it upon themselves to learn how to read and write, they decided to wage a war against literacy and other similar things, commiting unbelievable atrocities along the way. Trust me, they're extremely dangerous and have made a pact condemning mercy.)

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest let's move on to the story!

I really haven't had much experience writing a story with others, myself. Um, give me a moment on the idea department...
  • Posted at:

FROSTSPARROW15 aka COVERTAGENT183

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

mermaidartemis84

Lyss and Oz, yes, I realized Oz was in the class just after I posted.  Oops!  Galu! 
Bess

(Galu
means either good luck or good bye in Sindarin.  If you didn't know that already, O wise and mighty teacher Lyss!)
  • Posted at:

I am a Janus/Madrigal.

Warning: This person may spontaneously break into song!!!

Cmail@57891

I am a Homeschool Council Minion and a PROUD elven maiden!

Bess Cahill

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Bess: It does? Now what on Earth is Sindarin...
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Okay...for starters, what period of time would you prefer for the setting? The present or sometime in the past?
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

mermaidartemis84

Sindarin is the language of the elves in middle earth!  It is the most common, and is derived from the first old language, which is Quenya.  However, Quenya is not used except by the High Elves and the Valar...Glorfindel is a high elf, just so you know.  I am learning both languages...sort of.  It's hard because Quenya is a complete language, but Sindarin is not.  Tolkien died before he finished all the grammar rules.  :(
  • Posted at:

I am a Janus/Madrigal.

Warning: This person may spontaneously break into song!!!

Cmail@57891

I am a Homeschool Council Minion and a PROUD elven maiden!

Bess Cahill

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

@Oz: Yes, I am rather charming. Ugh, those monsters sound positively nasty, just like chips.

Since we're already doing modern with the other story, we could either do something historical-like or sci-fi like. If historical, then we may have to do some research, but I already know you're accustomed to that. (What with helicoptors or some such.) Or we could make up stuff. :)

@Bess: No, I didn't know that. I myself am more partial to Quenya. But I'm not an elf, I'm a Barding. So I don't know much of it.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

*ahem*
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

I am inexpressibly sorry for not getting here sooner, I've been really busy lately playing Dogfight. Luckily I found out there are only ten levels! For the fourth time.

Beg your pardon, but were you referring to tortilla chips, British french fries, or cow chips?

How about a blend of both? I had this idea for a sort of a reverse timetravel scenario where a character in the past (the present from their point of view) meets someone who traveled back in time from the present. For the historical setting, we could choose something that doesnt take too much research. Making up stuff is fun too...
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

It's from LOTR. "What's taters, precious?"

Hmm... your proposal has got my wheels turning.

What we could do is loosely base the "past" setting on a period of history, but change it a bit to make it ours (so we don't have to be accurate). The main thing we need to think of now is why the "present" person went back in time anyway. Was it by accident, or was it to advert some disaster? Or a mix of the two... he/she goes back in time by accident, then discovers some sinister plot or something that will affect his/her own time, so he/she teams up with the character from the "past" to fix the "future".

And how did they time travel, anyway? Was it an invention, or magic? If magic... perhaps the threads of time are coming loose due to the tampering of evil magicians. When the "present" character stumbles back in time, he/she decides to try and stop the tampering in the "past", before it can affect the "present". Make any sense?

Another thought, should the character from the "past" travel to the "present" with his/her friend from the future? I guess we can figure that out once we see where the plot is going.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Oh, I saw that scene but without sound...who's side were you on?

Okay, now we're getting confusing...Perhaps the person from the present is grappling with said evil magicians in the future when they inadvertantly send him/her back in time to the place that they're messing with. Then, while he/she figures out what on Earth happened, he/she discovers the sinister plot. One thing I never understood about time travel: Why don't deviations in the spacetime continuum instantaneously affect everything that occurs after them? 

They could both travel to the time traveler's present near the end, possibly. Should the magicians follow him/her back in time (disguised?), or do they even realize what happened to him/her? And who exactly are these dastardly magicians and why did they target the person from the future/present?
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

Well, I don't really like potatoes, so Gollum's side.

I don't think the magicians should realize that the main character went back in time. In fact, maybe he/she wasn't even grappling with them, but just got caught in some vortex on accident. Maybe he/she had no clue what the magicians were doing until he/she went back in time. I suppose we can figure out which makes the most sense later.

Question: How far back is he/she going to go? 100 yrs? 60? 40? 20? If it was longer, than the magicians of the "present" wouldn't have a direct hand in the "past", but perhaps their mentors did. In which case the evil magician problem would have gone back a long time without anyone realizing it.

I think deviations do instantaneously affect the future. That's how the main character is going to change the future, right?

Yeah, we could do the travel back near the end.

Like I said earlier, I don't think they should target him/her, I think he/she should just be an innocent bystander who gets caught up in it. But yes, we do need to figure out what exactly the magicians are doing and why they're bad. Do they work for an evil government? Are they independent? Is magic a usual part of the society, or is it rare? Maybe a ruler is employing magicians in secret to try and see if they can do spells to change the past or send someone back in the past. The reason the ruler is all secret about it is because people would revolt if they knew he used magicians.

BRAINWAVE! In the "past", magic was a fairly normal part of life. Not super ordinary, but it was used to predict weather, make water safe, wage wars, etc. However, maybe there was some big accident with magic that either: 1) made people hate it, so they destroyed the books on magic, charms, and killed magicians OR 2) destroyed magic and magicians altogether. As a result, the "present" is pretty much without magic. There are a few remnants, but those are secret. Perhaps the ruler employed the magicians to see if they can recover magic from the past. The ruler would then use the magic to conquer lands that now have no magic to defend themselves with.

Does that make any sense? That's my explanation for the bad guy's motivation. The reason the characters need to stop the ruler is because he's bad or something.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

Oh yeah, we really need to figure out the gender of our main character. I'm tired of saying him/her. :P What do you think it should be? And should we make the past character the opposite gender?
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Sorry for taking so long, blast it...

They're very plain...they didn't happen to have a deep fryer with them did they?

So if the magicians don't realize that him/her went back in time, what were they planning to use the vortex for? If they sent someone back in time to the exact same moment that him/her arrived at he/she would never meet him because he/she comes before the evil magicians, effectively making it impossible for any confederates they send back in time to meet him unless they know that he was transported into the past. That would then leave him completely without enemies from the future, in the past, unless they were sending people back already with the vortex to alter the past. In that case, would the original time travelers be magicians? Or is the vortex a prototype and they haven't really used it yet? Did that make any sense? Time travel can get really confusing. 

If 100 years, that would put him/her in 1913...one moment. Are we setting the present at the same time as our present? Is it the real world or sort of a fantasy version of it? 

I would assume so, but certain movies and such like Back to the Future depicted it as taking a little while. So I'm not sure...oh wait, I think that only happens with PARADOXES. *shudders*

Alright. Should someone from the past come with him/her? 

Okay, that sounds good. I think they should work for the government but not be completely docile. Should the ruler be interested only in personal gain or is he just performing underhanded operations like the U.S.'s use of mass surveilance/monitoring? (In some people's opinion, I should note. Heh, heh, heh...) I think choice 1 on magic's destruction. Should it be the reason for witch-hunts, since those were very popular in history?
So, how about the few remaining magicians know a limited amount of magic and the ruler orders them (or they approach him with their services) to salvage it from the past. Do they intend to go back in time themselves with the portal, or would they send a spell through it or something like that?

Who's badder? The magicians or him? Also, are the magicians just like normal people, besides their knowledge of magic? 
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Actually, which one is the main character? The person from the past or the person from the present? I think they should have opposite genders, but I'm not sure who should be which. Your stance?
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

No fryer, more like a stew pot.

You totally lost me on that first paragraph. So... whatever floats your boat.

I think we should do a fantasy version. Otherwise that would land us right before WWI... do we want to use that somehow? Like, we could have a WWI equivalent in a fantasy land. But it may be too much to handle.

The ruler wants personal gain, methinks.

Umm... witch hunts were way over by 1913. That's why I think we should do a fantasy world, so we can manipulate history without confusing ourselves. For instance, I think it would be cool if the past was somewhat medieval.

What if... the kid from the present ultimately tries to fix the huge mistake that happened and caused the witch hunt? That way, the ruler of the present wouldn't be able to use magic to his advantage, since everyone has it. Just a thought, don't know if it's a good reason. He/she needs to fix something, and I suppose that would be one way to do it, although it would dramatically change the present.

In some ways, the past should be more sophisticated than the present, since it has magic.

I think the plan is to send some magicians back in time to salvage spell books and other things that could be used by the ruler to conquer other lands. Maybe the kid from the present has to stop some of these agents.

The ruler is definitely worse. The magicians are greedy, but the ruler wants to take over the world. I think they're regular people who have dabbled in the lost art.

I think the main character should be the person from the present. Because we start in the present, yes? And it's about how he/she has to stop the magicians. But that kind of goes against your original idea, now that I think of it. We could have both be the main, and switch perspectives when needed.

Who do you think should be the girl, and who the boy? And about what age are these kids? 15-16? Also, we need to decide if there are going to be any romantic interactions between the two. Which could get tricky, since there's a 100 yr. age difference. But I suppose one of them could eventually choose to stay in the past (or the future).

Also, what is the means of traveling through time? I said vortex, but I really have no clue. Somehow the magicians must have searched high and low for relics and charms that, combined, would generate enough power to send someone back in time. Once someone is in the past, can he/she return at will, or do they have to be summoned? Is there some sort of amulet that lets them do this? If so, how did the kid from the present find this thing, when it would be guarded by the magicians.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Okay, if my reply doesn't folow this post, don't panic. DON'T!
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Hmm, I believe if they filled that up with some kind of edible oil, it would function as a fryer.

Not sure I made any important points anyway, in the first paragraph. Just a detail.

Great, I like the fantasy world idea. It would be much easier to sort everything out if we don't have to make sure that it all completely adheres to reality. So, if we did make it a fantasy world, would this be a rough outline of its history?:

~Society uses magic in everyday life
~WWI, (main character arrives back in time at this point)
~Something goes wrong (besides the war...or because of the war?), magic is mostly eradicated
~100 years passes
~The present, main character's origin, ruler covertly attempting to revive magic for personal interests through magicians

How advanced should the present be? And the past? As you said, without magic, things would be more primitive since they used magic as sort of an equivalent to technology. 

Yeah, so he/she could fix the mistake, subsequently cancelling out the ruler's plans and reducing the magicians to ordinary civilians. 

That sounds good for their plan. However, I'm not sure about him having to stop them, because simply preventing the accident would accomplish both. But, there should be some complications. Just changing the event seems a little too easy.

What should the ruler's gender be? And how many magicians are there...

Well, we could start off from the main character's perspective in the present, switch to the person in the past after the main character is sent back in time, and alternate from there.

Hold on, I'll reply to the rest in a seperate post...
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Okay, back.

My mind is blanking out on this. I guess the one from the future could be a boy and the one from the past a girl. Not really based on anything...
15-16 sounds good. Should the boy be younger? Or vice versa? Let's see, romantic ineteractions...that would be an excellent way to drive up the ratings! No, seriously, I don't see why not. Um, the hundred-years-apart problem...I suppose one could stay in the other's time. Maybe their relations gets killed or something.

Timetraveling. Hm, we'd have to take in consideration how the main character would accidently be sent back in time without the magician's notice. Together, would the relics and charms be accessible and operable by anyone? Or would they accidently send the character (bystanding) from the present back in time during an experiment? I think the amulet allowing them to return at will is good idea. He could find himself in the past without one and attempt to acquire from the people the magicians' sent back in time.
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

*panics*
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

analyzingwizard7

aka CapitalCelebrating1

Branch: Lucian

Hey guys,  I didn't mean to eavesdrop,  but this thread is on the first page. So,  your story seems interesting. 
  • Posted at:

Chai @^@

2010-2016 : 6 years as a Cahill

The Lord of the Books!

The Inventor of the Gavinometer!

King of the 39 Clues Fandom!

Horizoner, Greencloak, SQ, Madrigal, Amulet Keeper, Shadow House Special

Since the very start!

ChaiHam or ChaiJavi

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

Hmm... maybe the big war/catastrophe was caused by a magic accident somehow, and that's why the people went on a witch hunt. The main character would have to arrive before the accident, but he needs to know that's it's going to take place, otherwise he won't know to stop it. Or maybe he has no clue, but finds out from the agents the magicians send.

Maybe the present could be kind of old-fashioned: some technology but not like today. And the past could be sort of Medieval, but with more conveniances due to magic? Perhaps the fall of magic plunged them into a dark age.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure how he should change the event, or even what it is. Maybe some explosion that kills royalty, a great fire, plague, flood, drought, etc.

Not too many magicians, since magic is scarce. Should it be 5, or 3? They're not the real bad guys, so I guess we don't have to go into too much detail concerning them. But they should be unlikable.

Ehrm, I don't know about the gender of the ruler. Male is good for rulers, but female can be cunning/creepy. But I think we should go for male.

I think the alternating idea is good.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

That's what I was thinking! Boy from the present, girl from the past.

Either they should be the same age, or the boy should be older. The girl would be more knowledgeable about magic, and it's always funny when the younger one is smarter.

:P I wasn't expecting you to agree to the "romantic interactions" thing. I've never actually written anything romantic... I'm just too darn practical (or chicken). But I can try.

Yeah, he could get an amulet from someone else, but not right away. He needs to be in the past for a while so he can see that he needs to help.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

@Chaitanya: Eavesdropper! Is your name Lyss all of a sudden? :)

Tsk, tsk. Reading people's planning pages is bad form, what. Wait for the story.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

analyzingwizard7

aka CapitalCelebrating1

If your characters are 15-16, then romance would be a good subplot. Also, the person from today could be a weak guy, as in he or she gets bullied, doesn't have friends and so on, but after traveling to the past, he/she changes to be brave and heroic.
  • Posted at:

Chai @^@

The Lord of the Books!

Since the very start!

ChaiHam or ChaiJavi

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Hi Chaitanya! Glad you think so, we're exerting our minds trying to understand each other. Well, not quite that bad..... :P
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

The MB is in suspended animatioooooooooooooooon! Matrix bullet tiiiiiiiiiiiiime.............
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

@Oz: We are? My mind doesn't feel very exerted. Well, except for that space-time continuum thingymajig.
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

analyzingwizard7

aka CapitalCelebrating1

Lyss: 'bad form'? Do you watch Once Upon a Time,  too?
Can't wait for you guys to start the story!
  • Posted at:

Chai @^@

The Lord of the Books!

Since the very start!

ChaiHam or ChaiJavi

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

@Chaitanya: No... I'm just trying to sound British. Like Oz.

And how do expect us to get any work done with you sticking your nose in here, asking questions? Hmm? *sticks out tongue* :)
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Lyss: Well, as long as we're on the subject (I'd recommend skipping past the next paragraph or so...), why don't we expound on the various theories regarding the space-time continuum and its various properties?

If one were to go back in time, and kidnap, say, I don't know, Abraham Lincoln on December 31st 1862, zap forward in time about 2000 years, abandon him, blow up the Lighthouse of Alexandria, zip unnecessarily around tearing wonky holes in the fabric of space and time (actually it's a lot more like a rug really), become famous in every single year that one cares to manipulate, return to one's present, dodge the flak, and survey one's accomplishment...congratulations!

Because, since we're not finsihed with this discussion and we really don't care to go on (we as in I; as in irrelevant) about it, than
—THEN—we realize that infinity in relation to scientific theories equals insanity (infinity x scientific theories = X0) or, more accurately, the ultimate destruction of our mental capacities—HOWEVER, this is all a worst case scenario and should not be taken seriously unless you live in either the Andromeda Galaxy or a rather obscure solar system situated in the Milky Way Galaxy. Seeing as the chances of that approach zero at a temperature of 99 degress centigrade then we may safely assume that the world isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.........        
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Lyss: Tongue-sticking is bad form!
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

inkforest13

aka ClassifiedEvil4

Is what?
  • Posted at:

You're a cherry blossom

You're about to bloom

You look so pretty

But you're gone so soon

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

DOOMED! Through the process of implosion as the foundations of reality disintigrate, quickly destroying itself from the inside out!

Will reply regarding the story planning in a moment... 
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"

Front sm

frostsparrow15

aka CovertAgent183

Okay...now where we before I was so gracious as to get distracted with that other conversation...

That sounds good. Now, how should the war go? Would the people realize in the end that the magicians are to blame and then start getting rid of them, or would the magicians and magic play a large part in the war itself? 

What if the main character were to find out about the accident from the Magician's agents because they mistake him for another agent? Seeing as he would be dressed in modern clothes and they'd probably be on the look out for new arrivals.

That works. Should the people regret the destruction of magic or view it as a necessary event, even with the resulting dark age?

Maybe a magician (or more) accidently kills someone next in line to rule a country, and nations afffiliated with that country become hostile to the magician's home country because they believe that it was done on purpose in that nation's interests, sort of (sort of) like the actual WWI. Then they realize in the end that it realy was just an accident and in a fit of propaganda-fueled rage the world goes on a mass witchhunt. Or, perhaps magicians accidently cause a plague that destroys food and crops, forcing people to war over supplies. Or they could cause a fire, flood, or (insert giant disaster here), that causes a scarcity of food and in turn causes the war.

How about three? Five already seems a bit much. Should they be condescending? It would make them very unlikable...oh, and should one (or more) be female?

Male is fine. How old should he be? And we should also figure out his personality...

Alright. (this seems too short of a paragraph, oh my...)

Good, then that's agreed!

I guess the boy can be older. How about their looks and personalities?

lol, you shouldn't have suggested it. But since you have...
Well, we don't really have to make it romantic, if you know what I mean, but they can fall in love (or however you say it without sounding corny... :O).

Agreed...

Anything else we should go over? Like film rights and royalties and whose name is bigger on the cover? ERR, I mean, anything else to discuss? Or any ideas to work in that don't specifically affect the main plot?
  • Posted at:

Lord of the Trophies

GATEWALKERS

Tact is Everything

THE HUNTED

Ozzomesauce

~Oz~

"MY PARDON?"