#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12

CLASSIFIED

More! More! This is AWESOME, Carla! Consider getting it published!
  • Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Front sm

constellationgriffin6

aka BronzeArrow11

Branch: Ekaterina

Great!!
  • Posted at:

Punctuation saves lives! Or else the panda eats,shoots,and leaves.  And who gave the panda a gun?

Go ahead.Judge me.Just remember to be perfect the rest of your life.

Valdemar,Tortall,Pern.

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Hey Carla,
So I was looking for that story you told me about with Peter Lerangis' writing prompt about Jonah, but I found this instead, and I have four words for you:
Oh. My. Fudge.
EPIC!!!!!!!
I've only read up to the start of chapter four, though, so I'll continue reading it tomorrow, 'cause the optometrist told me not to strain my eyes on my iPod too much...
Can you PLEASE give me the link to that story?? Pretty please??
Signing off,

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- The name is Sam. Female.

- I write, read, and apparently am good at maths and other school stuff.

- I'm 16, and in Year 12.

- I'm Australian.

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. - Bill Gates

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Just got up-to-date with the story, and it's amazing! Next chapter, please! :D

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

CLASSIFIED

Hi everyone I'm back! I'll post in the next few days :)
  • Posted at:

Front sm

amethystmeadow15

aka AmethystMeadow2

Branch: Lucian

CARLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so happy you're back!!!!!!!!!!

-Kim :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • Posted at:

Kimberly

No matter what I do, it never feels like enough.  I want so badly to protect the people I love from harm, but my love is not strong enough.  How can I learn to make peace with that?  How does anyone? The Sisters’ Fate

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

YES!!!! Welcome back!! Missed you :) post soon, please!!

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

CLASSIFIED

Guys, I'll try to post tomorrow, but I'm not promising anything. I'm extremely (like EXTREMELY) sleep-deprived so I'm afraid I'll sleep like 15 hours and I still need to finish unpacking tomorrow and all. But I'll try for you guys :)
  • Posted at:

Front sm

wolfdreamer11

aka AgentDreamer92

Branch: Janus

You're back!!!! Yay!!!! I hope you get bunches of sleep...hmm does that make sense? Anway get as much sleep as possible if you can and stuff!!! ~Dreamer
  • Posted at:

I love wolves! I mean they're awesome!

Soccer's amazing! I got kneed in the jaw!

Tiger's are my favorite feline

And I'm a Christian :)

*interviewer raises hand* Why are you bouncing on a ball while answering?

*stops bouncing* I never said I was sane.

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

No worries, Carla. Get some sleep :)

-Sam
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

Front sm

lightningdragon264

aka LordAssassin246

*twitch...twitch* 

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!! THAT WAS BEYOND AWESOME!!!!!! THAT WAS WAS SO UNEXPLANABLY EPIC, I'M GOING TO DIE IF YOU DON'T CONTINUE!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SERIOUS HERE!!!!!!!! CONTINUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Erika ;)   
  • Posted at:

lightningdragon264 aka LordAssassin246

My name isSCOTCH TAPE.(Also known as Erika) Also, thx 2 Jay 4 da name!

Problemo?

There were2roads…andItookthe oneless traveledAND IT HURT, MAN!!!”

ScotchTape ;)

Proooblemoooo? =3

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

@Carla - are you back home? When do/did you start school? How was camp? George
  • Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12

CLASSIFIED

@Erika: oh my gosh calm down!! hahaha I'm glad you liked it! I'm going to write some more right now actually, so i'll hopefully post soon! Thanks for the comment!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

GEORGE!! Finally!! I've been back for almost a week now and I still hadn't talked to you!! I missed you! Anyways yeah I'm back home in Spain now, I got here on Monday. Camp was awesssoooommee! It finished on Saturday (the day when I've been most sleep-deprived in my whole life...) and it was just so much fun. We did tons of stuff. I guess since I'm back home I can tell you what's been going on for me this summer: I spent my first 4 weeks of summer in Virginia/Washington D.C. with my mom and sister. Then I went to camp for 3 weeks, which was in Connecticut. While at camp I also went one weekend to Boston and one day to NYC (to watch a Cirque du Soleil show at Radio City Music Hall). Also at camp we did tons of stuff like what we called "main events" in which every night we'd get to watch shows like a hipnotist (you wouldn't expect it, but it was HILARIOUS!), a comedian, movies, bands...etc. A dance team from America's Best Dance Crew (the T.V. show) also came to dance for us. We had games and talent shows and just heaps of fun. On weekends we got to go on trips, I went to Boston my first weekend, and the second weekend I went to play paintball in the forest on Saturday (OMG PAINTBALL IS SO MUCH FUN!! It's almost like war, seriously, so INTENSE!) and to NYC to watch Cirque du Soleil on Sunday. I met so many people from all over the world, it was insane. I'm so glad I went to camp cause it was one of the awesomest experiences I've ever had. My school starts on September 4th, so I still have some free time to relax before it starts. In these last few weeks I have a LOT of writing to do (I feel so guilty, I haven't updated my Elsmeria story in FOREVER!) and I'm also making a scrapbook for camp (I've made 6 pages already), I need to write in my travel journal about the places I went to this summer and write letters to my French pen pal and to a bunch of my friends from camp. So yeah, I have stuff to do. Yesterday I went to the beach with my parents and sister, it was fun :) The waves weren't very strong though, which limits fun, but oh well... IDK if we're going to go to the beach again today, I'm not sure. How are you doing? How have your last few weeks been? I haven't talked to you in forever! Talk to me!!

P.S. I'm still reading the Mortal Instruments books (I didn't get much reading done at camp, as you might expect, I just didn't have time.) BUT I did read another book in between reading 2 of the Mortal Instruments books. This book was called "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. A girl from camp recommended it to me before we went to camp (I was talking to her on facebook) and I read it and OMG I swear I had never cried harder reading a book in my life. Not even in Dumbledore's death. I just cried and cried and cried, sitting there like an idiot at 3:30 A.M. crying and reading. I seriously recommend it (if you don't mind the crying that is). It's a mature book honestly, not a simple story book, but it's really beautiful. IDK if you'd be interested or you'd rather wait until you're a bit older, but I'm just letting you know in case you want to read it, because it's a great book.  
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

Yay! I finally forced myself to sit down and WRITE! Seriously, I love writing but sometimes it's so hard to get started on it. So anyways, here goes chapter 6, I hope you all enjoy it because I worked really hard on it (especially on Porta Carmen!!).

CHAPTER SIX

As it turned out, Eliah’s guess of how long we’d take to reach the kingdom’s main gates was off by twenty-three minutes. It took us exactly eighty-three minutes to get there. Of course, this wasn’t Eliah’s fault; we found ourselves delayed by a number of major issues. First we had to take the long route, going way out into the fields and around the city in a wide circle, all to avoid being seen. We also had a nasty encounter with a couple of invaders who fortunately didn’t see us, but Eliah still insisted we hide out for a few minutes. After we finally crawled out from behind the pile of rubble that kept us away from the invading soldier’s view we continued on our way, ducking and hiding as we went, something I’d never thought I’d do in my own kingdom.

By the time we arrived at the gates it was almost midnight. The inky black sky was dotted with millions of stars, like pieces of glass that had been crushed and spread around by a careless hand. I was glad the foul smoke had finally dissipated and the air was, although not entirely clean, somewhat less polluted. What was not fading, unfortunately, was the smell of the corpses that could be found behind every corner. The scent of the bunt and now rotting flesh, flesh that had spent hours in the summer heat, was carried by the wind and spread around every street of the destroyed city. However nothing worried me more than the silence.

Where screams and shouts had been heard a few hours earlier there was now only silence. An eerie silence that could have been considered peaceful in some other situation, but that was just ominous now. What had happened to all the people screaming? Were they all dead? Were there no survivors at all? The thought was sickening. Even the sound of gunshots and explosions would have been more comforting at the moment; it would have meant the invaders still had something to fire at.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and concentrated on what was right in front of me. I’d never seen the gates to the kingdom before; they were useless really, because under normal conditions any elf willing to enter or exit Elsmeria had to teletransport. I wondered why the gates had been put there in the first place. Maybe it was symbolic.

I can’t deny, though, the fact that the gates were the most impressive structure I had ever seen in Elsmeria, aside from the castle of course. They were made entirely out of gold. Shiny, sparkling and valuable gold; the sort of things humans went berserk for. Standing about thirty feet high and topped with golden spirals that twirled up into the sky like birds ready for flight, and yet although beautiful they were threatening. They were issuing a warning to unwanted visitors; a warning of the undesirable fate they would encounter if they dared cross these gates. It was a silent warning, but an intimidating one. But then again someone had crossed these gates tonight, and the golden bars with their soundless threats had not been enough to make them turn around.

Eliah was already pacing back and forth in front of the gates, a slight crease between his eyebrows indicating he was deep in thought. I glanced around but saw no enemies so I joined him at the base of the golden giants and watched him as he paced. After several minutes of this I was growing rather impatient, and I couldn’t help but clearing my throat to catch his attention. The old tutor didn’t seem to hear me, so I tried a second time. His eyes shot upwards and focused on me, looking confused as if wondering what I was doing there.

“Yes?” he said simply.

“Um, shouldn’t we be doing something? Trying to get out of Elsmeria somehow?” I asked. It sounded quite lame when I said it like that, and the question was obvious enough it didn’t need an answer.

Eliah, however, always had an answer. “We are doing something. Or at least I am.”

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to remember,” he glanced at me, an expression I couldn’t quite read on his face. “What do you know about these gates?”

“Useless. You can’t go in or out through them. I guess they’re just the visual representation of the kingdom’s safety? Like a symbol of our protection?”

“Symbol of our protection…. a symbol…” Eliah suddenly whirled around, his eyes ablaze and excited. “Have you ever heard,” he said, “of the Porta Carmen?”

“Of course I have. The Porta Carmen… The Gate Song. You’ve talked to me about it before. It’s an old ode, isn’t it? An ode to the gate? About how only very few specific things could crack it.”

“Correct.”

“And the things that could crack it are so remote and hard to find no ordinary person-elf or human-could do it, right? That’s what the ode is all about, celebrating the ingenuity of the gates?”

Eliah nodded and plunged into a recital of the song that was so familiar to me:

Porta ut Abyssus

S
emita ut Nex ;                                                                                                                                  

Tantum orbis of campana,                                                                                                                   
Quod puteulanus - cruor spiritus.

Ianua ut vita

Clavis ut cavea;

Regius cruor in novacul
a
Quod verus veneficus adultus.”  

“The gate to Hell,                                                                                                                                      
The path to Death;                                                                                                                                  
Only the ring of the bell,                                                                                                                        
And the blue-blood’s breath.

The door to Life,                                                                                                                                         
The key to the Cage;                                                                                                                                    
Royal blood on the knife                                                                                                                             
And true magic of age.”

I muttered the song to myself, in English, and even as I did so I began to see where Eliah was going with this. “Whoa, wait. Hold it. You’re thinking of-?”

“Precisely.” Eliah seemed pleased with himself, although there was still doubt etched on his face. “It makes sense, do you not agree? The song boasts about the unbeatable nature of the gate. Only four things in the world, if combined together, can unlock it. Four things that not everyone can get hold of. In fact, there are only two people alive today who could easily unlock these gates.”

“My father and I,” I whispered. “Royal blood and the blue-blood’s breath.”

“And even you could not do it alone. The last line of the Carmen stands in your way: Quod verus veneficus adultus.’ And true magic of age’. Your father could do it alone, if he were willing to strip himself of his magic. You would be unable to do so because you are not old enough, not of age.”

“So we still can’t open the gates and leave Elsmeria anyways because I’m not old enough.”

“I am.”

I raised my eyebrows at him, surprised. Was he…volunteering? “You’d be willing to have your magic taken away from you?” I asked incredulously. I didn’t know what I would do without magic. It was just part of my life, part of who I was; it had always been.

“Why do you think the gate asks for true magic of age?” This time Eliah didn’t wait for my answer. “Sacrifice. The gate should never have to be opened, teletransportation should always be the means used to travel in and out of the kingdom. The fact that we find ourselves in need to open the gate is what matters. The gate was designed this way to keep intruders out of Elsmeria, not to be used as a mere doorway. If we are desperate enough to strip ourselves of our magic to get out, then the use of the gate is worth it. Our sacrifice is a message to the gate, as if letting it know this is an emergency.”

“And you believe this is an emergency worth giving up your magic for,” I said quietly.

“I would much rather be power-less but alive than powerful and dead.”

“I see,” I said, but I didn’t want to. I didn’t want Eliah to have to give up his magic so we could open the gate. It made sense, in a cruel sort of way; the gate wanted to reassure itself that it would only be used in case of extreme emergency, like it was supposed to be. It was also a way of making sure that no human could ever open the gate, only an elf. That was what the whole Porta Carmen ritual was for after all, making it too hard for elves to open the gate on a daily basis and making it impossible for humans at the same time. “Alright, okay then. Let’s get started.”

Eliah seemed relieved and pained at once. “The blue-blood’s breath should be easy enough,” he said. “We only need you, the blue-blood, to breathe on the gate when the time is right. “

“Got it. Royal blood on the knife? I’m guessing that means I’ll have to cut myself up.” I looked around, hopelessly searching for a stray knife. Thankfully Eliah was armed; he pulled out from his belt the sword he’d retrieved at the castle a few hours ago, when he’d gone back to rescue me from the invader who’d shot me. I took the sword from my tutor and held it against the palm of my hand, ready to make the cut that would provide the blood we needed.

“Wait. Not yet.”

“Why not?”

“The ring of the bell,” he informed me, as if that explained everything.

“Yeah I don’t get that one so much. Is there a specific bell we’re supposed to have?”

Eliah glanced up at the starry sky, muttered something under his breath and turned to look at me again. “Of course, the tower bells from the city; they ring at midnight.”

I glanced skyward, just as Eliah had done a few seconds ago, and calculated by the position of the stars how much time we had left until midnight. Seven minutes approximately. “Oh. Are you sure those are the bells we need?”

“It’s the simplest yet most fitting answer to the puzzle,” he replied with a slight shrug.

Having nothing left to do until midnight we stood in an awkward silence, both of us lost in our thoughts. I ran my hands along the massive golden gate, wondering what it would be like to walk through this daunting ‘Path to Death’. I guessed Eliah would be thinking about how these were his last minutes as a magical being-that’s what I’d be thinking if I were in his situation anyways.

“There’s something I don’t understand,” I blurted out suddenly, breaking the silence.

“What?”

“The Porta Carmen. First it says these gates lead to Hell and Death, and that makes sense in a way. They’re taking us away from the safe haven that is Elsmeria and into the real world, where elves were once slaughtered by humankind. It’s understandable the song would call it Hell. But then it says… it says ‘The door to Life, the key to the Cage’. It’s contradictory.”

“I thought you of all people would understand that.” Eliah’s tone was mild but surprised. He opened his mouth as if he were about to say something else, but he was interrupted by another, much louder sound. It was the tower bells from the city, chiming a repetitive and concise pattern. They were carrying a message from time; midnight had arrived.
  • Posted at:

Front sm

wolfdreamer11

aka AgentDreamer92

Cliffhanger?! Nooooo! It was a nice chapter Carla!!! Write more when you can!!!! ~Dreamer
  • Posted at:

Front sm

fearlesssylph3

aka TechnologyReader1

:0!!!
  • Posted at:

fearlesssylph3 aka TechnologyReader1

We Grew

Up

Learning To

Cheer On

The Underdogs

Because We

See Ourselves

In

Them

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Great chapter, Carla! Oh, how I envy your way with words... Can't wait to read the next chapter!

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

CLASSIFIED

bump? Anyone still reading this?
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Dreamer: is it okay if I call you that? It just sounds way awesomer than "AgentDreamer92". So... can I call you Dreamer? Thanks for the comment :) I was actually writing more a while earlier, hopefully I'll post it soon!
  • Posted at:

Front sm

lightningdragon264

aka LordAssassin246

WHAT?????????? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO END THE CHAPTER LIKE THAT????????????? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY????????????????
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONTINUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erika ;)
ps:, I know, isn't it hard to get yourself to STAY IN THE CHAIR??? I'm writing a story for my friends too and nowerdays, I can never stop getting distracted! It's so annoying!
  • Posted at:

lightningdragon264 aka LordAssassin246

My name isSCOTCH TAPE.(Also known as Erika) Also, thx 2 Jay 4 da name!

Problemo?

There were2roads…andItookthe oneless traveledAND IT HURT, MAN!!!”

ScotchTape ;)

Proooblemoooo? =3

CLASSIFIED

Thanks for the posts everyone!!

@Sam: I still have much to learn though... I look at real, published books and it always comes to me how wordy they are and I find myself unable to get to that level of word-awesomeness!!

@Erika: yesss! Staying on a chair just writing takes so much effort. I love writing soooo much, but it's just hard to concentrate and I'm a real slow writer so I'll take like 2 hours to write 2 pages which stresses me out. I already wrote like half of the next chapter (chapter 7) so it should be up soon hopefully!
  • Posted at:

Front sm

wolfdreamer11

aka AgentDreamer92

@Carla- Yeah you can call me Dreamer!!! Post more when you can!!! I have school so if I don't reply during the week it will be on the weekend!!! ~Dreamer
  • Posted at:

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Says you! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a professional author - like Lerangis, Riordan, Watson, Haddix, Collins, Rowling, etc etc etc. and for someone so young, that's saying something. ;)

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

CLASSIFIED

Dont you Mean word someness?? I love this story
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Dreamer: sure :) I have about half of chapter 7 written, but I'm having a hard time with it, I don't quite know how to proceed. Anyways it'll be up soon I think, so no worries!!

@Sam: ooohh, I wish!! I would love to be like them!! I practically hero-worship J.K. Rowling... I'm working my way on getting to their standards. Thanks!! You're too sweet :)
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Miks: wait what? Wordsomeness? Hmm... I like the sound of that :) *grins evily* Thanks!!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

CHAPTER SEVEN

This was it; the moment of unlocking the Gates to Hell themselves. I glanced at my trusted tutor, who gave me a brief but confident nod. I turned to face the gate and brought the sword up to the palm of my hand. With a quick, light movement I drew a red line that cut through my pale skin. Blood quickly surfaced, stinging like poison, but I ignored it-I had what I needed. I raised the bloodied tip of my sword and touched it to the golden structure in front of me. Almost at the same time I let out a deep breath that clouded the metal I was facing. Royal blood on the knife and the blue-blood’s breath.

Unable to quell my curiosity, I glanced sideways to where Eliah was standing a few feet away from me, his palms flat against the golden gate and his head resting on the sturdy bars. He was speaking quietly, whispering into the surface words that I could not hear, words drowned by the loud ringing of the bells. The moment seemed to stretch on forever, trapping us in time, holding us prisoners. I closed my eyes, unable to keep looking at Eliah because of the pain I felt at the thought of him not having magic anymore.

The minute passed, and the bells fell silent once more; the only evidence they’d ever rung was the echo still audible in my head. I opened my eyes, surprised to see nothing had happened. I didn’t dare to take my sword away from the gate just in case I would interrupt the ritual, but nothing was going on anyways. Had we done something wrong? Just as I was going to call out a question to Eliah, I felt movement under my left hand-the hand that had not been holding the sword-which I held pressed against the gold. Before I knew what was going on, the gate started moving.

It was slow, at first, and then picking up speed as it opened for the first time since it had been created centuries ago. It swung outwards majestically, almost as if the gate itself were inviting us to walk with it, tempting us to step outside our protected homeland. For something so big the doors opened soundlessly, looking unbelievably light; I almost thought it could be the wind that was gently pushing them open. I dropped my hands back to my sides, but my eyes were unwilling to be drawn away from the spectacle in front of me. Foot by foot the huge gates made the space between them grow wider, opening up the doorway to the human world. My feet started leading me forward, although I have no recollection of making the decision to walk myself. I wanted to run. I wanted to sprint ahead and cross to the other side. I’d been to the human world hundreds of times, and yet it had never seemed as dangerous as it did now, when entering through the Gates to Hell. The danger made it all the more desirable, in a peculiar way.

As I walked through the gates slowly, unable to pick up my pace, I started hearing voices. The voices were singing, singing a familiar song in sweet, melodious tones, the Latin words as familiar to me as my own home.
Porta ut Abyssus, semita ut Nex…I wasn’t imagining it, I was sure the voices were there. Tantum orbis of campana, quod puteulanus - cruor spiritus…It was the trees, the trees were whispering the words in the soft rustle of their leaves. Ianua ut vita, clavis ut cavea…The sound surrounded me, enfolded me in a blanket of soft voices I was unable to break out of. Regius cruor in novacula, quod verus veneficus adultus…

The singing was gone. It disappeared the moment I was fully outside Elsmeria, out of reach of the golden bars of the gate. I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding. Turning around, I saw the gates swinging the opposite direction now, closing us out of the kingdom.  I also saw Eliah, who was standing a few feet ahead of me, calmly observing the closing doors. He didn’t look any different than he had before we’d crossed the gates; he just looked like himself with his imposing blue eyes and neat short hair, as usual. I approached him tentatively, unsure what to say. What did you say, really, when someone had just lost something as vital to their being as their magic?

“Are you okay?” There. The three most original words I could muster.  

“Yes, yes of course. Let’s go, Nicholas. We shouldn’t stay here, we’re still too close.” Just as he finished his sentence the gates closed with a noise that sounded like a relieved sigh, ready to rest for another few dozen centuries before they were disturbed again.  

I looked at what was around us with mild curiosity; we were standing at the edge of a forest that seemed to have no end. There was nothing else in sight, just a forest spreading out in every direction for as far as I could see. Behind us only the gates were visible, which made them look quite out of place. The rest of Elsmeria-the houses, the towers, the city and the castle itself- was made invisible by the spells placed around the kingdom to keep it from human eyes. Anyone who happened to come across this place would only see more forest where there was really a whole civilization. I wondered what they thought the gates were doing there. Although I was aware it was just magic, that the kingdom was still in front of me, the apparent inexistence of Elsmeria made a shiver run up my spine.

We walked into the forest, but I knew we wouldn’t be traveling for long. We just needed to increase the distance between ourselves and Elsmeria enough to make it safe for us to rest for a while and to get our energy up. And then we’d teletransport, I knew, because whatever the invaders had done to make it so hard inside of the kingdom couldn’t possibly have affected the lands around Elsmeria too. As we trudged through the thick foliage my bullet wound started aching again-first numbly, but escalating quickly to an agonizing pain. Indeed, it wasn’t long before I had to stop, leaning against a tree trunk to steady myself. “Eliah,” I croaked. “Do you have any more of those leaves? The medicinal ones you gave me earlier?”

He wordlessly took some out of his pocket and handed them to me. I braced myself for the foul taste and gulped them down, trying not to gag.

“I think we’ve gone far enough,” Eliah declared, eyeing me worriedly. He sounded tired and I wondered if it had something to do with being stripped of his magic. Or maybe it was just the events of the whole night catching up to him now that the adrenaline was gone. Whatever the case, I agreed with what he was saying. We sat down in silence for a while-Eliah perched on a rock that jutted out of the ground near a tree and I simply sat on the damp grass. I knew I needed to rest at least for a few minutes, as I would be responsible for teletransporting us both to the human world briefly, but I couldn’t stop fidgeting. I could hardly be blamed either; my home had just been attacked, burnt to pieces by some mysterious invader army. I thought about my friends in Elsmeria. Granted I had more friends in the human world- in Virginia-than I had at home, but still the ones I did have in the kingdom were most probably dead by now. An image of Adelais flashed in my mind and I was suddenly overwhelmed with fear and despair. He was my best friend, and I’d left him behind to die. I wanted to think he had made it, that perhaps he and his family had managed to hide out and stay away from the bullets, but I knew that was only wishful thinking. Odds were Adelais was just one more corpse lying in some bloodied gutter by now. And what about my father? Eliah had said he had been the first to be taken to safety, but where was he?

I tore at the grass in front of me in anguish. Plucking the fresh and wild blades one by one, tearing them from the earth mercilessly. It wasn’t exactly relieving me from the tension, but it helped to have something to do. I continued moving my hands along the dirt, scavenging for more blades and ripping them apart, letting the destroyed shards fall back to the ground once I was done with them. It became an incessant pattern; reach, pluck, tear, drop, repeat. Reach. Pluck. Tear. Drop. Repeat. Before I knew it I felt salty tears dropping down my cheeks. I wiped them off with my filthy hands, not wanting Eliah to see me crying. But he already had.

He crouched down next to me and stopped my hands from continuing their ceaseless job of plucking and destroying. I stared at my hands; they were covered in blood, dirt and the fresh green stains of grass. Eliah didn’t say a word-he knew it was useless because, just like me, he understood that any words of comfort he could have given would have been lies. Lies, however, I thought, were often better than the truth.

I stood up, unable to continue not doing anything, and blinked the last tears back. The pain in my side had subsided to a numb ache again, which I was extremely grateful for; the healing properties in the leaves apparently worked fairly fast. “We have to get back to the human world now,” I said. “It’s pointless to stay here any longer.”

I grabbed Eliah’s arm so I could take him with me when I teletransported, seeing as he couldn’t do it himself anymore. I took a last gulp of fresh air and closed my eyes, concentrating. For the second time that evening I brought back the sights, smells and noises of Virginia, trying to remember them vividly in order to make teletransporting easier. I soon felt the expected twist in my gut that always came when I performed magic like this, and instinctively held my breath. The ground seemed to twist beneath my feet but I knew better than to fall for magic’s tricks. I refused to stumble or try to stable myself because previous experience had shown me that would completely ruin the whole thing. Continuing to envision my destination-our small house in Virginia, two stories high, with a red roof and an overgrown backyard-I clenched my teeth together for better focus and hoped it would work this time.

Soon I felt a sort of breeze rushing around me, the cool air tussling my short hair and numbing my face and hands. I was weightless, as if suspended in mid-air, high above the ground. Sounds reached my ears; a variety of voices, traffic, music, nature, water and a million other things that flashed by too fast for me to give them a name. I kept my eyes closed, remembering stories I’d heard about elves going blind when they opened their eyes during teletransportation- I certainly didn’t want that happening to me. Lights blinked against my eyelids, so bright that it felt like I really did have my eyes open. And then without warning, my feet were back on the ground, the air returning to my burning lungs and the warmth back in my body. My eyes flew open and there was our house, staring us down from across the deserted street. Eliah was there too, and I’ll have to admit I felt a tiny bit proud at that, since I’d never teletransported another person before.

I raised my eyebrows at my tutor, my silent question clear enough not to need words. He responded with a single nod, and then turned and walked across the narrow road over to our house. It was simple, really, nothing much to it. It was one more house camouflaged amongst the endless row of equally shaped houses that lined the street, all of them bearing the same monochrome paint, large squared windows and red tiled roofs. And yet, to me it was special. I had spent some of my best times in that small house, and had many great memories in there that I would surely treasure forever. In fact, I would’ve even dared to say this was more like home to me than the palace in Elsmeria. In a strange way, I felt much like a soldier returning home from war.
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

bump...
  • Posted at:

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Carla-
Hero-worship J.K. Rowling? LOL, me too :) I'm guessing you're a Harry Potter fan? Don't worry, I know the feeling ;). That was an awesome chapter, I can't wait to read the next part! Continue soon please! 

-Sam 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

CLASSIFIED

@Sam: of course I'm a Harry Potter fan!! I love those books! I already wrote a big chunk of the next chapter but IDK when I'll post it. Not many people are reading really... it's just like 2 or 3 people at most :(
  • Posted at:

Front sm

fearlesssylph3

aka TechnologyReader1

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You- your-AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY, I WAS TEARING UP!!!!!!! YOU HAVE AN AMAZING GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Posted at:

We Grew

Up

Learning To

Cheer On

The Underdogs

Because We

See Ourselves

In

Them

Front sm

indigowatching1

aka WritingArt2

I am definately one of the readers and I want to read more!
  • Posted at:

indigowatching1 aka WritingArt2

aim4good

Check it out: http://www.the39clues.com/messageboard/show/23666

Front sm

midnightblue99

aka EmeraldCloud2

Carla-
I don't get how people don't like Harry Potter...like my dad. Sometimes he drives me nuts with his stupid insults towards Harry :( oh, and don't worry about the amount of readers you have! People might be reading it but just not commenting, and besides, you have readers!! Those of us who ARE reading want you to continue! It doesn't matter how big the audience is, the important thing is that there IS an audience, and you've got to keep going for them. Pretty please? 
Still desperately waiting for that next chunk!

-Sam

PS: If you want, I can put the link to this thread in my sig so people see it, if you're really concerned about readers... Just let me know, I'm here for you! :) 
  • Posted at:

Some notes about me:

- I'm Australian.

Front sm

fearlesssylph3

aka TechnologyReader1

Not really a fan Of J.K rowling's Harry potter, I don't think that people should be dressing up as harry potter while in line for a movie to come out, It's kinda funny.
  • Posted at:

We Grew

Up

Learning To

Cheer On

The Underdogs

Because We

See Ourselves

In

Them

CLASSIFIED

@TechnologyReader1: thanks!! I'm glad you liked it although, really, there was no reason to tear up!

@WritingArt2: aaaahhh yess, I already have a lot of chapter eight written, but not all of it and I haven't written anything in like 2 days which is making me feel guilty! I will get to work on that today hopefully and post soon!

@Sam: IKR? How can you INSULT Harry? It's like, not possible. Awww thanks Sam, you're awesome. I'll keep writing, no worries, I was just stretching it out a bit to see if more people came to this thread. But it's okay, I'll keep writing anyways no matter what the audience. Thanks for all your support!!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@TechnologyReader1: are you kidding me? I've always wanted to do that! To dress up as fictional characters for a movie premiere!! I went to the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix premiere in Florida years ago, but I didn't dress up :( If Catching Fire has a world-wide premiere (meaning that the movie comes out at the same time everywhere in the world, not just the U.S.) I'll go to it and dress up as Katniss!! Same for The Mortal Instruments! I'm soooo gonna get shadowhunter gear! Seriously I'm going to put "dress up as a fictional character for movie premiere" in my bucket list...
  • Posted at:

Front sm

awesomeninja30

aka CobraRed30

Sweet. Keep writing Carla! Please...
  • Posted at:

AwesomeNinja30 aka CobraRed30

"You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you."

A Chain Reaction of Compassion