CLASSIFIED

Hi! So I've been writing this story for a while, but I wasn't sure whether I should post it on the MB. I finally made my mind up and well, here it is. I'm not sure about the title, I can't think of a good one so I'm just leaving it as "Elsmeria" for now. I'll change it if I get inspired and think of something better, and I'm open to any suggestions too.  It's the first story I post on the MB that isn't a 39 Clues fanfiction, so I'm nervous about this. I don't know where this story will take me, I'm sort of improvising it as I go, but I hope you all like it!

CHAPTER ONE 

Sunrises; they were never the same. Some mornings they were unimpressive, covered by thick clouds or masked by heavy rain. There would be nothing to look at, nothing to see except the color of the sky slowly changing from dark indigo to soft blue. Other days, however, they were stunning enough to make you forget how to breathe for a while. The sun would slowly creep up into the sky, tearing itself away from the distant horizon in a majestic show of colors. Those were the kind of sunrises I loved, the ones I longed to see every morning as I got comfortable in my favorite spot, perched high up in one of the branches of the huge oak near the stream.  

The thing I loved the most about sunrises though was their reliability. No matter how poorly or how well things were going in my life, no matter where I found myself or how confused I was, they were always there. The sun never failed to make its appearance, and it was always the same sun.  That thought, as odd as it may sound, was very comforting.  It was one of the very few things I could count on to be the same both in Virginia and in Elsmeria. Everything else was utterly confusing.

I twirled a leaf between my fingers as I scrutinized the morning sky. Fluffy pink clouds were sailing across the sun, but they weren’t big enough to cover it completely; its orange rays were still noticeably visible. I was thankful for the soft summer breeze that ruffled my hair, as it brought relief from the pressing heat that was present even so early in the day. Not bad, I decided, but there have been better mornings.

Unfortunately, the sunrise wasn’t the only thought that was plaguing my mind that morning; I would be leaving for Virginia in barely a few hours. I couldn’t quite decide if that bothered me or pleased me. On one hand, I was eager to get back to the place that had practically become my second home. On the other, it always saddened me to leave Elsmeria. Virginia –like the rest of the human world- never seemed to be clean. The air was always tight and heavy, and it made my lungs ache and yearn for the pure air that we gave for granted in Elsmeria. The landscapes were obstructed by large buildings and nature was basically inexistent.

I could understand why everyone here at home despised the human world; it was cruel, bare and tainted. But there was also something about it… a kind of spell that always made me want to go back at the end of each summer, made me miss the place when I was away from it, and made me able to forget about the polluted air and the lack of nature once I was there.  I couldn’t quite explain it, but for some reason the human world didn’t feel as evil to me as it did to everyone else. Perhaps it was just the fact that most of the other elves had never actually visited, much less lived in the human world, while I had been living there for ten months a year for the last five years.

When my father had first suggested the idea of sending me to study in the human world, I had been shocked to the core. He had said it casually, a passing comment mentioned over dinner one random evening, but his words had penetrated my brain and stuck there. I hadn’t been able to think about anything else for days. How was it possible that my father, who despised the human race more than anyone I knew, who never ceased to remind me of the ruthlessness of humans, who never grew tired of telling me the stories about how humans had driven elves into hiding millions of years ago, was even considering sending me into the human world? For some reason, the idea had appealed to me from the very second the words had left his lips, and naturally, being as curious as I was, I had brought it up again barely days later, unable to wait any longer for him to do so. He had tried to shake me off, to get me to forget he had ever said anything, obviously regretting his words, but now that this new possibility had entered my mind I was not letting it go. My imagination had gone wild –I was only the equivalent of a human ten-year-old back then after all- and every day my eagerness to see the human world I had heard so much about grew, my hunger for this new adventure occupying my every thought. After weeks of negotiating, arguing and well -why not admit it- bribing, my father and I had finally come to an agreement:  I would be sent to the human world to study for ten months –no more- with my trusted tutor, Eliah.

I was thrilled about the idea, and so was Eliah. He had been my tutor for as long as I could remember and he had taught me everything I knew, but I was also aware of how much more knowledge than me he still possessed. Eliah had made several trips to the human world before, years ago, to gather information he needed for a book he had been writing, so I knew he would be essential both for my preparation before I left and my well-being once I was there.  And quite frankly, I don’t think anyone could have done a better job at getting me ready than Eliah did.  

In a few months he taught me the basics of the English language I would need to be semi-independent in the human world. Latin is my first language, and seeing as English doesn’t come from Latin, as other human languages do, it wasn’t easy to learn at all. Then I needed to learn fundamental aspects of human society, as elfic society is as different from it as you can get.  Names, places, history, laws… it took a while to learn everything but eventually I was ready to go. 

It wasn’t until I started living there, studying and interacting with humans that I really got to understand their world, their minds and their points of view. It was truly nothing like I expected it to be. Humans surprised me more than I can put into words; they are so different from elves, but at the same time, it’s almost like we’re the same creatures. I made friends that I wouldn’t trade for anything, and gained experiences and memories of good times that I will most likely cherish forever. By the time those ten months were over, I was more convinced than I had ever been of anything that I needed to persuade my father to let me go back the following year.

And so I did.

When I came back home to Elsmeria after my second year in Virginia my father almost expected me to ask him to allow me to go back a third time, so it was no surprise when he agreed to my petition.  After that we sort of gave it for granted; he didn’t ask me if I wanted to go back, and I didn’t ask for his permission to do so, I just left without a doubt at the end of the summer. 

By now I’m used to the human world, although it still amazes me at times. My English is almost as good as a native’s and I just blend in so well no one thinks of me as strange any more, I’m just one more kid in the class. Of course there will always be differences, and noticeable ones at that, but my classmates are accustomed to seeing me easily solving mathematical equations for a random senior who is struggling in calculus class. Seriously, human brains are just so small and simple I surprise myself by not falling asleep in the ridiculously easy classes we take at school.  My friends and classmates have long given up asking me where I’m from though, because my answers vary every time they ask me.  One week I’m from Italy, the next from Canada and a month later I’m from Sweden. The truth is I really can’t tell them I’m from Elsmeria, as the whole point of the country is to provide a safe haven for elves to hide away from humans, but they just believe I like to keep what they call my “mystery guy” profile. 

Works like a charm with the ladies, my friend James once said. And it’s true; I practically have the girls lining up at my front door. Not that I actually try, but it isn’t my fault elves are so much better looking than humans. To them, my looks are just unbelievably stunning, while in Elsmeria I don’t really stand out as anything special…not for my looks anyways.  

But today, for the first time, I was having my doubts about going back to the human world. It’s not that I didn’t want to go back, of course I did. I missed my friends and their crazy ideas, my motivated teachers that turned those boring and simple classes into something to look forward to, and most of all, the heavenly ice cream parlor across the street from school where we spent hours debating the best strategies on how to get Macy Stinson to agree to go to the school dance with Michael.

It was a conversation I’d had with my father a few days ago that was bothering me. As we both knew, I would be starting tenth grade this fall, which meant I only had three more years of high school left before I graduated. I had said this to my father, and then mentioned that I would miss school once I finished it. My father had immediately gotten accusatory and defensive.

“Is it that you no longer enjoy spending time in Elsmeria? Are you implying that the human world appeals to you more than your own country?” he had asked me.

“I never said that father; I was merely stating that I will miss my school when I graduate. Of course I enjoy spending time in Elsmeria; it is my home after all. The human world could never compare to it.”

“Is that so? You seem to feel quite at home there.”

That’s when I had realized he had been reading my mind again. I can usually feel it when my father is searching my mind for thoughts or memories that for one reason or another he has a particular interest in, and I try my best to put up my mental barriers, like I have been taught, and keep him out. But while I can keep almost any other elf in Elsmeria out of my head quite easily, my father is –unfortunately for me- just about the most powerful person around. It’s basically impossible for almost every elf in the country to keep my father out of their minds, he is simply too strong. Trying to resist to his mental games is almost psychological torture, trust me, I’ve been there often enough. But to my great surprise I hadn’t realized he had been reading my mind that evening; I must have been really distracted.

“But it is not my home,” I had replied weakly.

With raised eyebrows, my father had pulled the card I hated the most, reminding me of my future responsibilities: “No. It is not, and you must understand that, Nicholas. You will never be able to go back there once I die and you are crowned king of Elsmeria. Your first duty shall always be your country and your people. Do not forget that.”

And with that he had stood up, excused himself and left. It was his way of reminding me I was getting too comfortable in Virginia, that it was not my place and would never be. And as always, his way of reminding me of my unavoidable destiny. As humans would put it, sometimes it really sucks to be prince, and heir to the crown of Elsmeria.

I for one hate the idea. I never wanted to be royalty, I wish I could have just been born some random person from the city, son to some completely random and middle-classed parents and be raised just like any other child. But no, I had to be part of the royal family. Sure, it has its good parts, like living in a grand palace with everything I always wanted, getting a stellar education from a private tutor, and being more powerful than most when it comes to performing magic. But quite honestly I would have been much happier living in a humble house in the city, going to school with everyone else-like I did in Virginia- and having a moderate amount of magical power.  I try not to think about it; what-ifs never got anyone anywhere.

My father’s words had been nothing out of the ordinary; he was always reminding me of my responsibilities, but it was the context in which the words had been placed that bothered me. What he had said was true, why bother to spend so much time in the human world, to get close to my friends there and get used to their customs and ways of living if I’m never going back there after I graduate? I know my future is in Elsmeria, nowhere else, I have always known. And for some reason that annoys me too, I know it shouldn’t, but that I don’t have the freedom to choose where I want to be, that I don’t have an option at all and that my life is set out so precisely like I’m just a pawn in a game of chess… it frustrates me. 

But it also worries me. I shouldn’t be having these thoughts, I should be happy to stay in Elsmeria; the human world is evil after all, right? It’s just that, after seeing the world beyond the territories of Elsmeria, after seeing what other cultures –the human one in this case- are like, my own country seems oppressive.  And the worst part of all is that I’m not sure I prefer it to the human world anymore. I’m happy in Virginia, despite its obvious flaws and drawbacks. I’m carefree and as independent as a fifteen year old can be, with no one pressuring me to be perfect, or barging into my mind, invading my privacy and demanding why I didn’t do such thing in such way, which, of course, would have been way better to how I did it myself. It’s really not easy to be happy in a place where everyone expects so much of you just because you were born the king’s son. And most certainly it’s not fair. I think that’s why I appreciate the human world so much; no one expects me to be faultless there, no one knows I’m a prince and I’m not supposed to be sitting in the back of the class not paying attention and passing notes. They just know I’m a regular kid who makes mistakes like everybody else.  And it feels good to be that kid.

So while part of me was desperately wishing the time to go by faster so I could get back to the human world, the other part of me was guilty because of my feelings, and wondering whether or not spending so much time in the human world was the right decision.  

It was Eliah who finally interrupted my train of thought, calling for me to come down from the tree.

“Nicholas! I strongly suggest you start making your way back to the palace now! You have to get ready to go!”

I smirked at his choice of words, strongly suggest, nice one. He couldn’t really tell me what to do, since I was the prince and he was just a tutor from the court, but Eliah could always think of a smart way to order me around without him sounding like he was giving me actual orders.

“Coming!” I called out. With swift movements I started climbing down the tree, not stopping until my feet touched the damp grass. I looked up at my tutor with raised eyebrows while he took in my messy appearance. I knew what he was implying with that look of his, that I couldn’t just walk into the palace with twigs sticking out of my hair and dirt-streaked clothes; but it’s hard to look perfect when you’ve just spent a few hours running around the forest and climbing trees.

As always, Eliah’s silence was more powerful than his words could ever be, and after a few minutes I gave up to those commanding and authoritative blue eyes, not being able to keep a straight face.

“Alright, you win,” I said with a laugh before attempting to smarten myself up.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Front sm

awesomeninja30

aka CobraRed30

Branch: Lucian

Wow, that's amazing Carla. And I usually improvise my stories too. I don't plan out all the details. I know whats going to happen, and how it should end, but thats about it. Awesome first Chapter.
  • Posted at:

AwesomeNinja30 aka CobraRed30

"You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you."

A Chain Reaction of Compassion

Former LuciaLeader

~Jessica

Front sm

turquoiseaphrodite39

aka CatEmerald79

Branch: Janus

Oh my Horan ;), this is really good :D :)
Please continue; I want to see what Nicholas does next :)
Here's a few suggestions for the title: "Sunrises in Elsmeria and Beyond", "Captured in a Ray of Sunlight", "Pathways to the Unknown", "Rising Suns", "The Sun is Always the Same in Virginia and Elsmeria", and "Never Doubt the Power of a Sunrise". 
Sorry since they're mostly about sunrises :Ppl
The first few paragraphs kinda got to me… 

-Mahin aka the future Mrs. Niall James Horan 
  • Posted at:

MahinT

"I spent half this moment thinking about the tee shirt you sleep in" –Birdy  

I’ll never forget you Harper.

CLASSIFIED

Your writing is amazing! I was totally entranced by it. :D
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

* wipes tear * that was beautiful story! 

Mary 
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

Great story! I am adding this to my list of favorite stories!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Jessica: thanks, I'm glad you like it! I don't even know what's going to happen or how it's going to end to be honest... I have a slight idea of the main plot (but not much) and of a few characters I want to include, but that's it basically. I hope I can think of something good!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

Awesome...I find it Emerald Maze (ElsMeria)....:P
  • Posted at:

Front sm

fearlesssylph3

aka TechnologyReader1

You choose right!!! it's amazing!!
  • Posted at:

fearlesssylph3 aka TechnologyReader1

We Grew

Up

Learning To

Cheer On

The Underdogs

Because We

See Ourselves

In

Them

CLASSIFIED

@Mahin: oh my Horan? Is that a new thing you just made up? LOL! Thanks for the title suggestions! I actually have it saved as "Sunrises" in my documents because it's the first word in the text, so the computer automatically saved it under that name :) Yeah I was inspired with the sunrises!! LOVE your new sig BTW!

@AquaBreeze125: thanks!! I'm glad you liked it :)

@Mary: thank you! I'll be posting the next part soon, probably tomorrow although I'm not sure yet.

@EspionageAnalyzing22: oh wow really?? Thanks! I feel honored :)

@Miks. HAHAHA!! I started laughing like an idiot at that comment, my mom asked me what I was laughing about, I tried to explain but she didn't find it funny... LOL I still do. I didn't thiknk of my agent name when I made that name up! I made that name (and this whole idea of the story) up YEARS ago, when I was playing pretend-to-be with my  sister.

@TechnologyReader1: aww, thanks!! I'll post more soon!         
  • Posted at:

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

Very wonderful job, Carla. You are the best writer of your age that I know. You sound like a professional author!!! George
  • Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12

Front sm

turquoiseaphrodite39

aka CatEmerald79

@Carla:
Yep :)
I'm gonna use 'Oh my Horan' every single time I need to say 'Oh my gosh'... :Ppl
Your welcome :)
I know you probably won't do this, but at the end of the story, I think you should have a scene where Nicholas and some other person are gazing at a sunrise again. 
But that's just a suggestion :Ppl
You don't have to do that.
And thanks about the sig :)

• Posted at:

MahinT

Front sm

stormfire17

aka EmeraldCobra502

*jaw drops in silence*
  • Posted at:

| singing i am your worst, i am your worst nightmare |

sapphire.

Front sm

amethystmeadow15

aka AmethystMeadow2

I'm loving it Carla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Kim :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Posted at:

Kimberly

No matter what I do, it never feels like enough.  I want so badly to protect the people I love from harm, but my love is not strong enough.  How can I learn to make peace with that?  How does anyone? The Sisters’ Fate

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

@Carla - I was pretty sure I had posted a comment yesterday after reading Chapter One of your story. Don't know what became of it. I think your writing is AWESOME, as usual! You are already an author, you are so very good! I'm sure you are keeping everything you write somewhere for future reference. I can't wait to see the first book you publish!!!!!!!! Make it into a trilogy and have them come out just one month apart! Maybe you'll start a trend where readers don't have to wait a year in between books!!! George

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

chasingcupid19

aka DecodingIsland3

Branch: Ekaterina

Your story is so amazing!!!! Can't wait to read more!!!
  • Posted at:

➹Showleen➼➹

~Demigod daughter of Apollo,

Cahill, Divergent and dragon trainer

"Your voice is your identity" -Nico Di Angelo

CLASSIFIED

@George: aww, thanks! I think you're slightly exaggerating though, I've seen better writers around the MB... Anyways, greatly appreciated!!

@Mahin: hmm... that's actually a pretty epic idea. I like it!! I already have an idea of WHO he should be looking at a sunrise with too... Thanks Mahin!  
  • Posted at:

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

@Carla - I do NOT exaggerate!!! I've read tons of books, and you are right at the top with what you write. I speak the truth. And remember, Peter Lerangis likes your writing, too!
  • Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

fallinggale12

aka AgentCaptain84

Firstly - THE STORY IS UTTERLY AWESOME!!!! Secondly - I'm not going to be on the MB really that much anymore :/ My mom destroyed my laptop somewhere together with my brother's IPad and my IPad and the computer cafe has really slow internet and my mom lessened my allowance. From 50 pesos to 30 pesos. If you compare that to American Currency then 50 pesos is just about 1 dollar and 30 is less than a dollar. Why I'm comparing this with American Currency I have no idea.

~Hydra 
  • Posted at:

fallinggale12 aka AgentCaptain84

"Do it with your dying will."

CLASSIFIED

@Sapphire: LOL what's that supposed to mean??

@Kim: thanks Kim!! I'm going to post the second chapter in a minute...

@George: your comment did show up yesterday! The one with a little rainbow picture at the end. Anyways yeah that would be a nice new trend, huh? Books coming 1 month away from each other to teach the other authors a lesson hahaha! I don't think it would be possible though, unless I wrote all of them before publishing the first one or something like that. Yeah I would love to publish too! It's actually on my bucket list (yeah I have a bucket list... no, I'm not dying).

@DecodingIsland3: thanks! I'm going to post the next chapter now, I hope you enjoy it as much as the first :)

• Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

CHAPTER TWO

It didn’t take us longer than twenty minutes to reach the palace. I can’t really say it isn’t impressive, even if I have been living there since I was born. Its soaring walls always seem to be desperately trying to reach the sky and the polished marble floors make our footsteps echo across the vast halls. The windows are always open, allowing a fresh breeze to navigate the corridors. But of course air isn’t the only thing that sneaks in through the windows; the birds are constantly flying in and out of them too, brightening up even the saddest person with their soft songs. The birds never stop singing in Elsmeria.

Eliah told me to go freshen up in my room with his usual display of fancy words – it would be most advisable for you to go clean yourself up in your bedroom now- and then disappeared down a corridor, to the library I supposed. So I followed his advice and made my way to my room.

I was surprised to find someone already waiting for me there when I arrived. Adelais was sitting on the edge of my bed, eyeing my prized swords with a thoughtful expression. He’d dumped his bag on the floor in the middle of the room and taken his shoes off. I had to smile, because only Adelais would dare to act in such a way in the royal palace.

“Glad to see you’ve made yourself comfortable,” I commented.

“I happen to recall you saying you preferred me acting this way as opposed to all the formalities expected of me in your presence,” he replied good-naturedly.

I let out a laugh before walking over and picking up one of the swords he’d been looking at.
“And I still prefer it, always will,” I said. I picked up another of the swords, examining the blade to make sure it was in a good enough state. “Care for a sword fight?”

“Your way of speaking nowadays never ceases to surprise me… Whatever happened to your nicely structured sentences and complex vocabulary?”

“You know what happened. I got used to how they talk in the human world,” I replied, already suspecting the reason of the sudden change of topic.

“Is it true then that they speak in such a way?”

“Absolutely. And worse too, you should see how they text.” I couldn’t hold back a grin at that, because I could just picture Adelais’ face if he ever read those texts we sent each other back in Virginia, full of abbreviations, grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.

“Text? What is a text?”

“Uh… it’s kind of hard to explain seeing as we don’t even have cell phones here-“

“Cell phones?”

“They’re…communication devices… sort of…”

“Do you now understand what I mean when I say your way of speaking has taken a turn for the worse? Contractions, expressions such as ‘sort of’… how can people even communicate like that?”

I set down the swords I was still holding and sighed, because I had been right in my suspicions about why he had ignored my offer for a sword fight and brought language up out of the blue. I knew what he was going to say even before the words left his mouth:

“Do you not think that perhaps you spend too much time in the human world?”

“You too? I already had that conversation with my father, I don’t need you to bring it up again,” I answered annoyed.

“Bring it up? What does that mean?”

“Oh forget it, the meaning gets lost in translation,” I muttered. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering I’m talking in Latin and not English.

“Well, regardless of what it might mean, do you not agree with my statement?”

“Actually, that was a question, not a statement. And no, I don’t agree.”

“Do you not see the reason and logic in my words? The way you talk tells me enough about how accustomed you are to human ways. Do you speak in such a way in your father’s presence?”

“I try to watch my words more when I’m near him. I’m not stupid enough to go around yelling out human expressions right under his nose. I just thought I didn’t have to watch my words around you, I thought we were friends.”

“We are friends, and that is why I worry. I worry that you might prefer the human world to Elsmeria, that you might not come back one year, and that we will never see you again,” Adelais said as he walked over to where I was standing near the window.

“How can you even say that,” I snapped. “You know I can’t ever leave, that I have responsibilities to attend to once my father dies. My whole life is already planned and set out, Adelais; I can’t really do much else except follow the path that my father has oh-so-meticulously laid out for me already. And that path does not include running away to live in the human world forever.”

“And yet you have not denied what I stated, that you prefer the human world.”

“You don’t get it, do you?” I retorted bitterly. “It’s never about what I want or what I prefer, it’s about what my father says, no questions asked. Why do I even bother… you’d never understand, it’s not like you have any future responsibilities to pretend to happily look forward to anyways.”

“I am afraid you are wrong there. I might not have my life planned out as well as yours, but that can be a curse as much as a blessing. Your destiny in life is certain for you, as is having food on the table three times a day. Do not forget that some of us do not enjoy that luxury. I will be responsible for feeding my family once my father dies, and while that may seem simple enough to someone who has never gone hungry, it is not as easy as it seems when your whole family spends days without food every winter.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. It always pained me to hear Adelais talking like that. It was so unfair that my father and I had a whole palace for ourselves when there were so many families, like Adelais’, who didn’t even have enough money to feed themselves. There wasn’t much I could do about it though; Adelais refused to accept any money from me, no matter how many times I offered and my father didn’t deem the starving families in the kingdom a problem worthy enough to pay attention to. I really hated my father sometimes. If there was one thing I would do as soon as I was crowned king, it would be making sure everyone had enough food. 

Adelais shook his head sadly. “You cannot be blamed for our troubles.”

“But my father can,” I answered. It was at moments like these when I was truly ashamed to be standing there in my bedroom in the huge palace, next to my expensive swords, wearing silk clothes and above all, complaining about my life. “Really, Adelais, I don’t know how many times I’ve offered, but if you ever need-“

“I will not accept charity,” he said dryly.

“It’s not charity, it’s help. From a friend. Is that so hard to accept?”

“Having only ever been at the top, you will never understand what it is like to be at the bottom.”

“That’s precisely what I love about the human world, being at the bottom. Well, that and the freedom.”

Adelais looked up at me, analyzing me with those mistrustful eyes of his as he always did. I’ve never understood why he’s so mistrustful of everyone and everything, but I guess it has something to do with all the hardships his family has had to overcome. I looked at him in the eye confidently, showing him that he could trust me. Although, really, he should know that already, we have been friends for over ten years now and not once have I deceived him in any way.

After a few minutes he looked away and the tension in the air seemed to disappear, but the silence remained. He finally interrupted it with another change of topic:
“How is it that you have been in Elsmeria for two months and we have barely seen each other?” he asked me. “Have you been busy with court events?”

“No, not really. I’ve been wasting my time the whole summer really. I’ve been…thinking,” I answered vaguely.

“Thinking.”

“Yes, thinking.”

May I ask what it is you have been thinking about so much?”

“I think you already know the answer to that.”

“The human world,” he said almost ruefully.

I nodded slowly, searching his face for any hints of his reaction. “I’ll be leaving for the human world this afternoon.”

“I am aware of that, it is essentially the main reason I came here today, to say farewell.  I deeply regret not spending more time with you this summer, but there is nothing to do about that now. “

“I regret it too.”

“Well, you probably have to get ready, your time of departure approaches and I certainly do not wish to interfere with your preparations.” Adelais picked up his bag and put on his shoes as I just stood there watching him, not knowing what to say.  He has always been like the brother I never had for me, but I have to admit he is right when he says we have grown apart too much since I left for the human world the first time five years ago. How is it possible that this guy makes me feel so guilty about everything?

He finally stood up and almost simultaneously we hugged each other goodbye.

“I’ll see you next summer, I promise,” I said.

“I should hope so,” he replied with a grin. “Take care.”

“You too.”

As he was about to walk through the door he stopped, turned to face me and spoke one last time. “Nicholas? You never answered my question.”

I knew what he was talking about, so I replied as honestly as I could. “I like the freedom, and being at the bottom.”

He nodded, and I knew he had understood.
  • Posted at:

Front sm

darkheroine5

aka SecretCat23

O...M...G!!! THAT'S TOTALLY, AWESOMELY, AMAZINGLY, COOL! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ANYONE'S GOT ME INTERESTED TO CONTINUE READING A STORY ON HERE!!!
... *Ahem, turns around and says: an applause for Carla please?!* **A massive applause comes from behind me with me part of it, of course!**
Don't worry about the improvising! Just let it take you where-ever it goes! Either way I'm sure it'll be brilliant!
  • Posted at:

Katie Spaskaya:

That  Irish girl who’s Bohemian  Queen  of the Modern World

Empress of Evil

Airwoman of the Angels

*Proud  Feminist*

CLASSIFIED

@George: hahaha!! Peter Lerangis says good things about everyone's writing (the prompts I mean) on the MB!! We can never really be certain he truthfully likes it. But THANKS anyways, you just made me smile :) I'll trust your word then!!

@Hydra: thanks! Oh :( I'm sorry to hear about your computer fiasco! Wait, you use pesos in the Philippines? Wow I didn't know that! Anyways, hopefully you can still try to get on here every so often from...IDK a school computer? Smartphone?

@Katie: LOL thanks for the applause! *bows* I'm JK! I'm glad to hear my writing made you want to continue reading! And thanks for the vote of confidence too!    
  • Posted at:

Front sm

fallinggale12

aka AgentCaptain84

I'm right now under my mom's desk inside her room with her small laptop. I found a way to get out of here fast! :D Now, I have got to go. I hear footsteps comin', bye!   ~Hydra
  • Posted at:

fallinggale12 aka AgentCaptain84

"Do it with your dying will."

CLASSIFIED

im posting this as i read it
ok carla?
this way you see my opinon as i read it
now i dont really get teh first part
talking about sunrises??
wait human world??
there anouther kind?
 wait wai wait hold the phone
did i read elves?
what IS this?
and whast esmira
this is confusing me, guess i should continue reading
so do you have pointy ears?
and do humans know that elves exist at the moment?
so many questions in my head, gotta keep reading it
 oh i get the twist with latin
back way back in time latin was a lost language
but it wasent lost was it?
it was the elven language :P
nice twist ya got there (=
 you cant tell them were u live, or that your from elven hearatige?
and OF COURSE the elve's gotta have the brain, so typical ellven knolege xD
wait the characters a guy?
 AND DO THEY KNOW ELVES EXIST????
so its the character that dosent want power, yet has a bunch
yikes, i feel bad for him
 ok, i like it
BUT DO HUMANS KNOW ELVES EXIST?
AND DO THEY GOT POINTY EARS? 
curiosity )=
oh well i guess
il read the next part later 
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

im posting this as i read it
ok carla?
this way you see my opinon as i read it
now i dont really get teh first part
talking about sunrises??
wait human world??
there anouther kind?
 wait wai wait hold the phone
did i read elves?
what IS this?
and whast esmira
this is confusing me, guess i should continue reading
so do you have pointy ears?
and do humans know that elves exist at the moment?
so many questions in my head, gotta keep reading it
 oh i get the twist with latin
back way back in time latin was a lost language
but it wasent lost was it?
it was the elven language :P
nice twist ya got there (=
 you cant tell them were u live, or that your from elven hearatige?
and OF COURSE the elve's gotta have the brain, so typical ellven knolege xD
wait the characters a guy?
 AND DO THEY KNOW ELVES EXIST????
so its the character that dosent want power, yet has a bunch
yikes, i feel bad for him
 ok, i like it
BUT DO HUMANS KNOW ELVES EXIST?
AND DO THEY GOT POINTY EARS? 
curiosity )=
oh well i guess
il read the next part later 
  • Posted at:

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

@Carla - Great writing! You know, you are a mature writer. You have things planned out so well. Your descriptions really pull me into the story so that I feel like I know what it's like to walk through the castle. You handle conversations really well, dealing with thoughts and emotions realistically. You need to believe that you are an awesome writer, because you really are! And, yes, Peter Lerangis has given positive comments to everybody who has written from a prompt, but most are short and vague or have constructive criticism. I do believe the positive that he gave to you was way more than that. (I don't remember them, exactly, and don't have access to them, but I remember being impressed with his comments to you.) Seriously, that is one area where you should feel proud of yourself and confident in your talent. Have you ever had to write stories for school? What have your teachers said? Or do you just write reports. They would be well written, too, except they wouldn't show your creativity. I love your stories! You write in a way that I never could in a million years because I can't convey descriptions, thoughts, feelings, etc the way you do. Thank you for sharing with all of us!!!!! George =o) (The colors aren't working.)
  • Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

turquoiseaphrodite39

aka CatEmerald79

@Carla:
Are you serious?????
And, if you don't mind telling me, who will he be looking at a sunrise with?????
Sorry, I just don't like being kept in suspense :Ppl
That's why I read so much and so fast :Ppl
And you really are a superb author :)
The last portion blew my mind :)
It was awesome :)
Carla, you really are the best author on the Message Board :)
And I'm not lying. 

• Posted at:

MahinT

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

@Carla - Great writing! You know, you are a mature writer. You have things planned out so well. Your descriptions really pull me into the story so that I feel like I know what it's like to walk through the castle. You handle conversations really well, dealing with thoughts and emotions realistically. You need to believe that you are an awesome writer, because you really are! And, yes, Peter Lerangis has given positive comments to everybody who has written from a prompt, but most are short and vague or have constructive criticism. I do believe the positive that he gave to you was way more than that. (I don't remember them, exactly, and don't have access to them, but I remember being impressed with his comments to you. Especially the first one.) Seriously, that is one area where you should feel proud of yourself and confident in your talent. Have you ever had to write stories for school? What have your teachers said? Or do you just write reports? They would be well written, too, except they wouldn't show your creativity. I love your stories! You write in a way that I never could in a million years because I can't convey descriptions, thoughts, feelings, etc the way you do. Thank you for sharing with all of us!!!!! George =o)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

CLASSIFIED

Carla, this has left me stunned! You. Are. Amazing!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

That was epic.
  • Posted at:

Front sm

adorablerabbit55

aka WinningBrilliant10

Branch: Ekaterina

Amazing story! You should become an author. :)
  • Posted at:

adorablerabbit55 aka WinningBrilliant10

"Stay witme   

"Always       -Katniss and Peeta

The Hunger Games

The World Will Be Watching

Front sm

wolfdreamer11

aka AgentDreamer92

That was really AWESOME!!! I loved it!! I was wanting to get back to it A.S.A.P! You're a really great writer!
  • Posted at:

I love wolves! I mean they're awesome!

Soccer's amazing! I got kneed in the jaw!

Tiger's are my favorite feline

And I'm a Christian :)

*interviewer raises hand* Why are you bouncing on a ball while answering?

*stops bouncing* I never said I was sane.

CLASSIFIED

@Colton: LOL that was somehow comical :) No pointy ears (sorry, they creep me out). And no, humans don't know the elves exist. Sooo.... humans drove elves into hiding thousands of years ago because well, they didn't want non-humans around (animals don't count cause they're not intelligent like elves and humans). And elves have kept their existence hidden since then, because if humans found out there are still elves around they would kill them. And the very few elves that go into the human world absolutely can NOT tell humans they are elves, where they come from or anything like that. Is it clearer now? Sorry if I made this too confusing...
  • Posted at:

Front sm

fearlesssylph3

aka TechnologyReader1

YOU should SOOOOO make this into a book i'm soo not kidding!! this is just.....PURE AWESOMNESS!!!!!!!!
  • Posted at:

fearlesssylph3 aka TechnologyReader1

We Grew

Up

Learning To

Cheer On

The Underdogs

Because We

See Ourselves

In

Them

CLASSIFIED

@Hydra: LOL good luck with your mom :)
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@George: oh gosh George... you always make me feel so awesome for some reason!! I can't believe how much faith you have in me, it really moves me :) Thanks so much for believing in me, it means a lot. I have written stories for school, but not since like 6th grade. Nowadays we write stuff like... well essays mainly. I also had to write this "letter" for a friend pretending we were 16th cenury travelers who had gone on a trip to Florence and we were describing the city to our friend in the letter. But yeah mainly it's just boring essays, not stories or anything. Back in elementary school we DID write a LOT of stories, like all the time. Teachers always had great comments about my writing, and a couple of them wrote to me (on report cards, or this 5th grade yearbook we made) or said to me that they were waiting to read my first book. But yeah, I was in elementary school, I'd like to believe my writing has improved at least a bit in all these years. I think it has. Anyways, I'm glad you like how I write, I'm always trying to pick up tips as I read books. As I read I focus a bit on how the author has written the book, how and when they insert information for the reader to know, the way dialogues are played out and so on. I think it's been helping my writing a bit... So yeah, practice, practice, pracice is what I do. Thanks once again for believing in me like that! You're the best!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Colton: LOL that was somehow comical :) No pointy ears (sorry, they creep me out). And no, humans don't know the elves exist. Sooo.... humans drove elves into hiding thousands of years ago because well, they didn't want non-humans around (animals don't count cause they're not intelligent like elves and humans). And elves have kept their existence hidden since then, because if humans found out there are still elves around they would kill them. And the very few elves that go into the human world absolutely can NOT tell humans they are elves, where they come from or anything like that. Is it clearer now? Sorry if I made this too confusing...
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@Mahin: OMG, thanks! You guys make me feel so good with your comments!! Well, the person he's going to look at the sunrise with hasn't been introduced yet. He/she's from the human world. That's as much as I'll tell you ;) You'll just have to wait for the rest! But a big THANKS for the idea! It will be an excellent ending, very symbolic!
  • Posted at:

CLASSIFIED

@AquaBreeze125: LOL thanks! You just used my favorite descriptive word in the dictionary too :)

@Leah: aww thanks! You are too Leah :)

@May: thanks, I can't really say I haven't considered that... it's an option although I'm not 100% sure yet.

@AgentDreamer92: haha! Thanks for the enthusiasm!! Makes me want to post even more :)

@TechnologyReader1: that's the plan ;) I'm trying to make this real book-length, my goal is at least 100 pages. I know that would be a short book, but it's good enough for me right now... That's why on the Word document where I'm writing it, the chapters are divided differently, to make them longer like in a real book. Thanks once again!

@EVERYONE: I'll post the next chapter tomorrow as a sort of "Happy 4th of July" gift :)  
  • Posted at:

1 , , 3 ... 8 , 9 , 10