Front sm

dogyellow583

Branch: Ekaterina

People say that your life "flashes before your eyes" in a dangerous situation. But that's not true.

The metallic smell of was so intense that you could almost taste it. I knew what it was before I even opened my eyes and looked around. It could have well been confused for a crime scene. Even worse was the silence-- heavy and suffocating, deadly. I tried to turn around in my seat but the belt was tightened around me in a vice grip and my head pounded. My fingers found the belt buckle and pressed the button. They were sticky.

Where am I?

A face appeared in the window frame beside me. "Ma'am, are you alright?"

My throat was dry and coated in dust. I tried to swallow and answer the man-- impossible.

"Can you talk to me? Ma'am."

The car rumbled underneath me and the stranger reached across my lap to turn the car off and take the keys out of the ignition.

"I'm okay," I rasped, finally. I moved forward in my seat, reaching for the door handle, finding that it was too crushed to open. My head spun; I groaned and leaned back against the seat again.

Another face appeared on the other side of the car, pushing aside the deflated airbags, peering in at me. It felt like being an animal in a cage, visitors staring and laughing at the animals.

But there was no laughing. It was silent. Too silent.

"Talk to us-- how do you feel?" The new stranger spoke, a woman.

"Dizzy..." I mumbled. "But it's fading..."

Another moment passed as the strangers tested the doors. A couple of them creaked and metal screeched.

"This one opens," someone called. The voice came from the back of the vehicle.

And the silence... My heart stilled. Slowly, I shifted in my seat and turned around to look. Putting it off wouldn't help; the news would be delivered later, if not now.

Wide eyes stared back. Deep breaths, a blood spotted chest rose and fell.

I slumped in my seat; the world seemed far away and was fading away before me, slipping from my fingers.

----

The next time I opened my eyes was on a stretcher in the back of the ambulance. The metallic smell was gone, the dust remained stuck to the sides of my throat and permanently in my nostrils. I might never get rid of it, I thought.

I heard a voice saying something about stress and heatstroke. I flexed my fingers, still sticky and my clothes seemed stuck to me as well. I groaned-- my head was still throbbing.

"It doesn't seem like a concussion," the EMT said to me. "But we're taking you to the hospital to make sure.

----

Three hours later we were sat around the dinner table just as normal.

People say that your life "flashes before your eyes" in a dangerous situation. But that's not true.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Christy ~  currently trying to figure out what’s wrong with me 

Front sm

cloudart142

Branch: Lucian

That was sooo goood!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Helloooooooooooo!

I’m a

Dreamer