Small image uploaded from ios bc607bd853

Becky B

admin

Hi all! Posting this to WoFMB, SAMB, and 39Clues MB.

First off, sorry bout the apparent glitches that were happening on the site over the weekend. Came back to see mention of them in all the MBs. Seems like everything is back to normal now, but I'll still mention it to the robots that control the internet our developers. 

Second, I see a lot of folks talk about their posts not being let through. I want to explain a bit how the moderation system works because the biggest issue here is really a lack of transparency on our part. And I'm sorry for that.

Basically, we have an autofilter that is (to put it bluntly) not smart...but necessary. We used to used to do everything manually 4+ years ago and BOY was it slow. We literally read through hundreds of posts a day so it would sometimes take days for your post to go through, especially if it was a long one. So, now we have this filter that does that automatically, catches words, and pings me if there's something that needs my attention. I typically read through the filtered posts anyway so I know what's going on, and why something was filtered out.

Why didn't my post go through?

Chances are there was a word or sequence of words that the filter didn't like in your post. This can be words you made up - if the filter doesn't recognize something it sometimes will block it. Maybe there was a violent moment in a story, and the filter is taking it literally. Maybe you have a post that seems like it might have personal information, for example if you have a story about a made up school or a made up address. The filter doesn't know it's in a RP and thinks it's real info. The word "stupid" gets caught like 99% of the time because it thinks it's being used as an insult towards someone, even if it's obviously not.

Think of the autofilter as a robot that has zero sense of humor, doesn't get any sarcasm whatsover, takes things extremely literally, and doesn't understand the concept of context. And also hasn't read any books.

What can I do to help my post go through?

Look at what you wrote and check:

1. are there words that could possibly be considered insults toward someone?

2. is there potential personal information? Even if it's made up for a story?

3. am I using a bunch of uncommon words or words I've made up myself?

There are a lot of false positives and it stinks. All I can say is just try and try again with a few edits taking this stuff into account.

I will say the auto-moderation is *a lot* better than it used to be, and is certainly much better than when it took days for a post to go through when we manually checked every message.

Why did I get banned?

I'd say the most common reasons someone who is an active member of the community gets banned are:

-sharing personal information

-sharing usernames for other sites

-linking to outside websites.

These bans should only last 24 hours to a week. A month ban is uncommon but happens on occasion if you're an active member of the community, we don't think you should be permabanned, but ya keep on giving us reasons to ban you. Permabans are given out to users who are clearly trolls, spam accounts, or active members who have done something really bad like constant bullying, harassment, etc.

If you've written something where it sounds like you're going through a hard time, we send a message with our concern. This message comes by way of a ban that expires instantly. I want to be clear that you're not getting banned for expressing your feelings. "Ban messages" are simply the main way we can send a message to you about what you're writing. Is this ideal? Definitely not. But it's what we've got.  

Chatting

In the Scholastic chat there's an autoban system that's similar to the autofilter since we can't be on chat all the time reading messages. It will sometimes give you a "time out" aka cool off period of 15 minutes to 24 hours for doing things like spamming the chat, saying inflammatory things, or giving out personal information. 

If what you did is bad enough, like trying to write your phone number, saying something super mean, or harassing someone, you may be banned for much longer.

It also has an extremely picky autofilter. I know it stinks and blocks out a ton of words, seemingly at random, but it's there to make the chat safe. I've seen it block silly things like the word "go" but also prevent trolls from harassing people. The main thing to understand about this autofilter is that it blocks words it doesn't know. I've seen typos get blocked, or forgetting a space between words such as "heyyou" get blocked. 

Last but not least

If a post seems like it's going to turn into a debate, argument, or something that's inappropriate/unhealthy for the forum we mods reserve the right to lock the post or delete it, even if it's not necessarily breaking a rule at the moment. This doesn't happen frequently, but it has happened. I will always try to leave a message on the post so that it's clear why and it hasn't just vanished.

I hope this clarifies some stuff about posts and bans and is helpful! We are working on a bunch of stuff that I hope will make interacting with one another on here better...but that's all I can say about that.

-Becky B

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Front sm

tsunamininja5

Branch: Tomas

"If you've written something where it sounds like you're going through a hard time, we send a message with our concern. This message comes by way of a ban that expires instantly."

My ban didn't expire instantly but okay

Anyway, ignore me

Thanks for clearing this up and thank you for fixing all the glitches; we really appreciate that. :)

• Posted at:

- Samurai - 

Black Belt

Manga Artist

Writer

Jaguar Tarik Akira

Small image uploaded from ios bc607bd853

Becky B

admin

I guess I should say it *should* expire instantly. It's not meant to be a punishment. I'll look into what happened with your  ban.

And fixing glitches is what we do best! Unless we caused them. In that case causing glitches is what we do best >.>

• Posted at:

Front sm

analyzingacrobatics725

aka DragonDragon804

Branch: Ekaterina

Man I remember the times when posts would take days to go through lol 

Those were some interesting days.

• Posted at:

ONE OF THE REMAINING MEMBERS OF THE UNOFFICIALLY DISBANDED WRITE OWLS

Just an asexual boi

I actually write and roleplay quite a lot.

Front sm

dogyellow583

Glad to see you posting this! I'm glad we have these measures in place here, even if it's a little difficult sometimes. It's so cool of you to write a post to let us know these things, also ^_^

• Posted at:

christy ~ i'm scared for you. freaking out. i want to just know you're okay... alive...~

Front sm

tsunamininja5

Branch: Tomas

@Admin Becky

Nah, it's all good. I'm not sure how long it was for, but when I came online the next day (around 11 am) it said "Ban will expire in about 5 hours." It's cool, though; don't worry about it. 

• Posted at:

- Samurai - 

Black Belt

Manga Artist

Writer

Jaguar Tarik Akira

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

Branch: Lucian

In my story, labeled "A Fanfiction", I tried posting a chapter, and it wouldn't go through, then when I posted it as a 2 part chapter, it let through the first half, but the second half isn't going through. all that's happening is that ponies are laughing at a Weeping Pegasus(Aka Weeping Angel AKA a statue that's somehow alive but wants to kill everything for energy, or something like that) and Brave Chaser destroys it. I think you should make Annedroids instead of a robot to do the autofilter. Annedroids have a sense of humour and are more human than robots.

• Posted at:

Amber.

Miraculer

Whovian!

I'm from the 39 clues website!

Forum Twins: Fiona and Raven

I'm A Jehovah's Witness.

Check out my RPs! the 39 clues, Vespers RP. Children of Bigfoot RP, Limited Spots

leave a message at the beep, unless it's bad news BEEP

Front sm

elfbulldog81

Thank you, Becky B!!! :D

• Posted at:

NAME:

ElfSarynHopeLoridellFortisElementorialAvery

REFRDBY:

Elf

Ranger

ElfDaEarmuff

ISA:

Christian

Gen2SAMBer

Lucian

SemiActiv

FaNgIrLiNg

MOOD:

Good

QUOTE:

"LoveUrEnemies&Pray4ThoseWhoPersecuteU"

Matt5:43-44

SONG:

"HaveItAll"

Thx4HavnMe

Front sm

redwolf5538

Cool. 

• Posted at:

Front sm

butterflyamber887

I find it strange that a robot sent me a message that it's worried about me and thinks I'm suicidal. Thanks, robot?

• Posted at:

BRACHA

Life's tough. I'm tougher.

I wish  all the misery, pain, worries, EVERYTHING, time itself, would stop, just pause a bit...

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

Understandable how that's confusing.

• Posted at:

Amber.

Miraculer

Whovian!

I'm from the 39 clues website!

Forum Twins: Fiona and Raven

I'm A Jehovah's Witness.

Check out my RPs! the 39 clues, Vespers RP. Children of Bigfoot RP, Limited Spots

leave a message at the beep, unless it's bad news BEEP

Front sm

bookishunicorn121

@Becky so the sucide messege i got just was part of the ban? (then why was i banned for a week)

-Unicorn

• Posted at:

ʊռɨƈօʀռ

| ISFP | Libra | Elysium | Scriptor | Ravenclaw |

Triplets: Penny/Vixen and Samurai

Flip: Pony

3/30/18

Front sm

dogyellow583

Hi Becky, posting on behalf of a friend of mine. I made a thread titled something like "Becky & other mods: reason for Dragonflying601 permanent ban?" In it I explain that the user was banned, doesn't know why and thinks it very possibly could be a glitch. He's expressed worry that he won't be able to use his account again and he's been here/had that account for a very long time.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look and I'm sure he would too :) thank you for your time; I'm sure you're very busy.

-Christy

• Posted at:

christy ~ i'm scared for you. freaking out. i want to just know you're okay... alive...~

Front sm

airportwinter35

I think idea of ban was good but it became too automatically. Since my friend got ban, I think some random posts should be read by human at least one of hundred.

• Posted at:

t Jacob (major and mostly used) t

Anything interesting

Stay Calm, Study Yourself, Stop Wasting Time.

These are all 'St process of life. 

Front sm

coolfeathers25

hi

• Posted at:

Front sm

catdawn453

Just now it said that my account was banned. Y?

• Posted at:

SHA-EL