As a person who has suffered(and is many ways is STILL suffering) from severe clinical depression and anxiety and a HOST of other things, I'm here to tell you that things CAN get better. You can heal. It's possible.
But, I'm also here to tell you that all the answers aren't in herbal teas and boxed chocolates.
While these things CAN help, they will NOT help if you have a sink full or dirty dishes and haven't showered in three days.
So, here are my tips to PRACTICAL self-care:
1. Get up in the morning before 9:00. Go to bed before 11:00. Trust me, rest is essential, but OVER rest can make you exhausted and irritable. Your schedule will COLLAPSE if you're not careful.
2. Shower. Shower every day. Cold showers stimulate circulation and increase oxygen intake and alertness. Warm showers also stimulate circulation, relieve stress, and can be a natural sedative(may help with insomnia problems).
3. Pick up all your clothes off the floor cuz that's where your entire wardrobe is and you've already cried once today when you tripped over your favorite sweater and realized that the cat ouked on it.
4. Go outside and feel the sun(5-15 minutes.) You're real. The world is still spinning.
5. Go for a jog. Exercise releases serotonin AND keeps you in shape so you can still fit into your favorite pair of superhero pajamas.
6. Eat a full breakfast complete with protein.
7. Put the crackers and chocolate down cuz that's all you've eaten for two days.
8. Drink eight glasses of water a day for hydration.
9. Do your dishes because they're the first thing you smell when you walk through the door and rotting food stinks.
10. Feed your cat and play with them. They need love too.
11. Wash your face every morning and night. And brush your teeth.
12. Call your friends who are worried sick about you and apologize. If you can't do that, at least tell them you're ok and need some space.
13. Do all your homework immediately. I don't CARE if the new season of Stranger Things is out and you have no motivation. Do your homework.
14. Make your bed. Even if you feel like you can't handle your room right now, at least make your bed. It'll give you a calming center, and help you focus on the little things that need to be done.
15. Make a to-do list. And do everything on it. Play some old 80's music, rock, whatever while you do it; but do it. Please.
And last, remember this:
The most empowering type of self care is responsibility. Chocolate is great, movies are great, but you'll have a really hard time enjoying them if you can smell the cat puke in the other room and are surrounded by homework. Love yourself; and take responsibility.
((and after that, some chocolate and your favorite Disney movie wouldn't hurt. ;-))
Please tell us why you'd like to report this post
Drama! Parts I've played:
Wendy (Peter Pan)
Fantine (Les Mis)
Maria (Sound of Music)