is marching band a sport?

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430

Branch: Lucian

The other day i got into an argument with some people on whether or not marching band is a sport and since it ended in a stalement I thought to ask you all if it is or isn't

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

my name is ruby 

team leader of team RWBY 

i have silver eyes

i am using this account because the original person left and I am different 

my favorite color is red

i carry a crescent rose

my boyfriend is chell

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Branch: Janus

It absolutely is a sport, to the highest degree if I do say so myself.

There's no higher degree of danger and risk in the musical world when compared to marching band. The physical stress it compounds to on the players amounts to the same, possibly (most likely) even more stress, when compared to sports of the general public. Brass players who don't use gloves are prone to burning their hands on the metal. All players who hold their instrument without a strap are prone to injury in their arms if they mess up.

Percussion players are the most prone to needing hospitals after a performance. This is a bit of an exaggeration, but when someone with a giant drum strapped to their front by the will of their back trips and injurs themselves, it will mostly likely end up in them never being able to play for the season.

Haha carpal tunnel am I right 

The mental stress it builds up in a weak, scrawny little high schooler and an experienced college student are one and the same.

-"I HAVE to succeed or everyone will be disappointed."

-"If I mess up this part I think I'm going to starve myself tonight."

-"I'M SORRY DRUM MAJOR PLEASE STOP YELLING AT EVERYONE IN MY SECTION IT WAS MY FAULT" 

-"If I miss practice today everyone will hate me, even if I have every reason to miss practice"

Competitions all throughout the year, practices each and every day depending on how gung-ho your director is

There's a sweet little video somewhere that uses technology to scan the physical stress on a percussion who plays for the show. Turns out it to have been extreme enough to be compared to your typical basketball player, except what if that player was wearing weights as they played????

Marching band IS a sport and I have trouble understanding the other side.

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

thorloki138

aka AgentPrincess16

Music is not a sport  

• Posted at:

Mal

Titanic<3<3<3

Disney

Doctor Who

Marvel

Dc

39 Clues

Percy Jackson

Kane

Magnus

Once Upon a Time<3<3<3

Rp names:

Maya

Liv

Maddie

Mal

Elsa

Ellie

Front sm

sneakygirl1

aka BlueDolphin595

HEADS UP, I have a rant.

Is marching band a sport?  Absolutely.  @ThorLoki - I agree that the musical component of it may not necessarily be a sport (by that, I mean just playing an instrument), but the marching part of it definitely makes it qualify as a sport.  Marching season is especially gruelling.  People have to not only play their instrument, but march in a specific formation while holding said instrument for the entire duration of the song.  Oftentimes, more challenging performances require musicians to jog or even sprint across a field with their instruments, which range from flutes to very hefty tubas in order to stay in formation.  Not to mention, most of a marching band is generally comprised of brass and woodwind instruments, which require a person to blow into a mouthpiece in order to play it.  So, marching is usually a struggle in breathing.  Playing a woodwind/brass instrument itself requires extreme exertion and causes shortness of breath, but adding jogging/sprinting on top of it makes marching band extremely challenging and not for the faint of heart.

Additionally, those in marching band have to stay in shape.  Over the summer, my school hosts mandatory camp for those in marching band, where they not only practice their instruments, but run laps around the school every day (and my school is extremely large).  Those with heart conditions and other health issues (especially respiratory) are usually unable to stay in marching band because it's so physically challenging.  Marching band is no joke.

My school has a marching band so I see them practice every summer and I feel very strongly about this topic :)  The things those guys do are crazy, and the majority of my friends are in marching band.  I hang out with them all the time and get lots of stories.  My best friend is a drum major, so she sees all of this happen.

Just my take on it, from what I've witnessed firsthand and heard from those in my school's marching band :)

• Posted at:

l i g h t   i s   e a s y   t o   l o v e.

s h o w   m e   y o u r   d a r k n e s s.

- r.  q u e e n

Front sm

pizzapizza263

I definitely believe it is. And you wonder why I think so? I’m IN marching band. And just because it’s not related to a ball on the field or in a gym or outside period doesn’t mean it isn’t a sport. It is. It definitely is. So much energy and time and effort and strength and mental strength go into you. You have to have the will power to be able to go threw what we go threw on a daily basis. It’s hard. It really is hard. It isn’t easy. I can honestly say I practice at least 6 hours every day minus Saturday’s and sundays. We put in so much effort in what we do and most don’t see that. We have to play and move our bodies at the same time and that is not easy. It really takes all of your mental and physical strength to keep yourself focused and in line and if you mess up, it’s EXTREMELY noticeable. It can’t be hidden. Our shows may only be 8-10 minutes long, but in reality for us even if it seems like it only takes two seconds, it’s a very tiring sport. It really truthfully is. 

• Posted at:

~*Alissa*~

"He smiled and intertwined our fingers.  “If I’m going down, at least I’m going down with you.” "

-Andrea/ArtisticWords12

MB Member since 2012

"You may not see it, but I'm smiling on the inside because of you." 

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430

The dictionary definition of a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

By this definition marching band is a sport because there is physical exertion with how long we have to stand (i am in marching band btw) or the fact that practice is over the summer and that's the hottest time in the year.

The skill is in being able to walk and play and count at the same time.

The team is the band That's playing

The other team is the other marching band

Lastly, the entertainment is in the music that we play

So, yes marching band is a sport

• Posted at:

my name is ruby 

team leader of team RWBY 

i have silver eyes

my favorite color is red

i carry a crescent rose

my boyfriend is chell

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430

Bump

• Posted at:

my name is ruby 

team leader of team RWBY 

i have silver eyes

my favorite color is red

i carry a crescent rose

my boyfriend is chell

Front sm

catamber1354

That's a good question. Personally, I've never thought of it as one, but I suppose if horseback riding is a sport, then marching band is one too.

• Posted at:

Forget all this stuff that I usually put here. The forums are ending so no one cares what's supposed to be here.

But this is what I want you all to remember: Be kind. You will have everything in life if you are kind.

Love you all.

~Windsong <3

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430

bumps

• Posted at:

my name is ruby 

team leader of team RWBY 

i have silver eyes

my favorite color is red

i carry a crescent rose

my boyfriend is chell

Front sm

ghostmorning7

I'm not sure, but at my school at least, it counts for PE credits so I guess it's enough XDD

~Hope Forever~ Andrea

• Posted at:

~Hope Forever~ Andrea   

Goodbyes are only sad if you know you'll never say hello again

I guess this one is sad

So I'll bid you goodbye for the last time

And say thank you for the memories

Know that I'll miss you tomorrow and ever day after

Front sm

dragonbook402

Branch: Ekaterina

Marching band is a sport.

I think it's because a person has a mindset thinking "Sports are tennis, basketball, soccer, etc etc." Marching band may not require all of those things needed like strength or endurance, but it needs a good coordination, and memory. This really is an "activity involving physical exertion and skill".

• Posted at:

Mname is

BIANCA

Attack on Titan Fan

Levi Ackerman Fan Girl 

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430

Better yet there is strength for the tuba players (in the tuba section where I come from we have someone that is like 5 feet tall carrying the tuba)

• Posted at:

my name is ruby 

team leader of team RWBY 

i have silver eyes

my favorite color is red

i carry a crescent rose

my boyfriend is chell

Front sm

grayham48

aka CatchingBaseball430