Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Branch: Janus

@Christy 

It's fine!

@Lucy

I can't stand abusive relationships romanticized. 

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

~Monica Cahill~                 1 John 4:10 

"Fantasy reveals what reality obscures."

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

musicspy18

One word: Twilight

• Posted at:

jade.

Stay strong, my lovelies. "Never say Goodbye. Because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting" So this is just I'll see you people later. Maybe in real life one day:)

Front sm

musicspy18

Also, on the whole Magnus Chase thing, I agree that the whole gender-fluid character reminder was annoying. I personally liked the Magnus Chase books, though not as good as PJO/+HoO. Riordan is dragging his books a little but I think he's starting to wrap them all up, because especially with Trials of Apollo, there are going to be five books in the series and I think that is either going to be the end or he's going to have one more series with like EVERYONE and bring all the gods together. (I personally think that would be awesome) and I'm not someone who supports LGBT+ at all and don't like that(SPOLIERS FOR LAST MAGNUS CHASE BOOK) Alex kissed Magnus twice, once as a boy and girl. I think Alex is a cool character, I just don't like that he is genderfluid/gay. I mean even in Trials of Apollo, Riordan has a lesbian couple, though he doesn't push it, thank God. I know that Riordan supports the whole LGBT+ thing, and that really disappoints me that he HAS to put it in his books.

• Posted at:

jade.

Stay strong, my lovelies. "Never say Goodbye. Because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting" So this is just I'll see you people later. Maybe in real life one day:)

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Jade

I think a series about all the characters would be really cool as long as it's written well. My opinion on LGBT+ in media directed towards children is that it shouldn't be in it. I think it's something parents should have a private conversation about with their kids. Like for me I learned about same sex relationships really young because I had a great uncle who was homosexual (he sadly passed away) and he had a partner and my mother explained to me that though my uncle hadn't told us specifically it was pretty obvious that they were in a relationship. But there are kids who are learning about these issues really young while their parents aren't even aware and I don't think that's okay. Because they may be learning about the LGBT+ community, but other issues aren't being addressed. Like for instance transmitted diseases. They're only seeing one side of the picture. There's also a good chance that Rick is just doing it for the money, or in part. The fact that he had hardly any characters of non-European background in PJO (from what I remember), and the fact that he only started to have LGBT+ characters after it became popular is fishy. 

• Posted at:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

cutewolf230

Just saying, don't read the Alex Rider series. It's a good book and all, but I just don't get it. You never find ut about his parents, and it just gets annoying how he doesn't ever stop telling about the action.

• Posted at:

H  L

A  O

Catholic 

I call dibs on Gally! 

To the Haven for Werewolves, 54 pages, and over 2,100 posts.

Regina George eats steak!

#RememberHurricane

So not Luana.

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

Branch: Ekaterina

@Monica

I'm mixed with the idea of LGBT+ representation in media for children. One on side, it shows that it's okay and normal and there's nothing wrong with being LGBT. But like you said, they usually don't go into issues either.

I think if LGBT+ characters are in the media for younger children, it should be with recurring or minor characters. You'd rarely see them and likely not know much beyond a mention of a boyfriend or girlfriend. Besides, having LGBT+ main characters in children's shows will just result in discussions that definitely would be better (and easier to understand) when someone is older.

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

"See the world not as it is, but as it should be."

My Blog: /301450

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Hazel

I understand your point of view. But for me it should be more a parent/guardian thing. Like for example there are people for polygamy and people against it (I'm against it). So better a child learn about it not through entertainment, but through a parent. Especially since polygamy is usually very damaging for those involved. But I think that where our culture is heading you have to have discussions with your kids at an earlier age than what was the norm in the past. Personally I grew up knowing about things that even older teens were oblivious too. That's just how I was raised. But agree to disagree. : ) 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

analyzingacrobatics725

aka DragonDragon804

I dont the LGBT character should be in  show for little kids like at that age you cqant even grasp what gay is

• Posted at:

PART OF THE WRITE OWLS

Owl name 

Owl of Night and Reading

POWER IS NEITHER GOOD NOR EVIL BUT ITS USER MAKES IT SO.

WHAT GOES DOWN MUST COME UP!

If you hurt my friends  I WILL DESTROY YOU!!!!  

Just saying...

#Alllivesmatter

Front sm

analyzingdragon106

aka CatchingBlue120

Hey jack you need to pov on the star wars rp as soon as possible! bump!

• Posted at:

THE NAMES TAYLOR. GIRLS RULE! RP Queen!

I like Miraculous Ladybug!

I'm just a girl who likes to rp.

I also like to write stories.

Book Rp!

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

@Monica

Ah. No, I get it. This is definitely the sort of stuff that children should learn from a trusted adult, not television. And probably in middle school at the earliest.

I mean, I didn't know what LGBT was until a friend described it to me in 6th grade. My mom tried to explain it when I used the word gay (as a replacement for the word happy, not LGBT) in 3rd grade, but I didn't understand at all (She ended up having me look it up in the dictionary and told me never to use the word again. I still didn't understand it because the dictionary made it all complicated and just dropped the topic).

I'm glad I didn't know all this stuff until later because it gave me the chance to just be a kid. No politics or discussions best left for when we're older.

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

Front sm

analyzingdragon106

aka CatchingBlue120

Bump!

• Posted at:

THE NAMES TAYLOR. GIRLS RULE! RP Queen!

I like Miraculous Ladybug!

I'm just a girl who likes to rp.

I also like to write stories.

Book Rp!

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Hazel

I agree. Once you're an adult people are obsessed with being at each others throats when it comes to politics, so best to just let kids be kids before it's taken away. Though I am for kids learning about the different sides of politics and worldviews at a young age, once they're at the age where they can grasp it. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

@Monica

Agreed.

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

Front sm

musicspy18

@Monica - I agree that the having LGBT+ opionons in children's book, is not something that should be in there. I mean, when I have kids, I won't be letting them read the stories until I've explained the LGBT+ to them. Yes, Riordan instantly put  LGBT+ characters into his stories, the first one being Nico DeAngleo, and that was the time that people started "coming out" offically. Yes, it does seem fishy 

@Hazel - Well, from the way that you are saying that, I'm guessing that you support LGBT+? See for me, I learned about LGBT+ by an older age, from my parents, which I'm happy about. So I believe that kids should learn certain topics at certain ages, when they are ready. Because, young children haven't fully processed everything at a young age. So I agree with you there

• Posted at:

jade.

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

@Jade

I don't support LGBT+ people, I am an LGBT+ individual. To be honest, I think it's why seeing stuff like this frustrates me so much. 

A lot of people just think I'm pro-LGBT+ anything, but I've got common sense. I know it's something best saved for a parent or guardian to tell their child around middle school (old enough to understand, but also young enough that you have the knowledge when you're trying to figure out who you are) and that not all representation is good representation (like what we mentioned earlier, constantly mentioning how the individual is LGBT+ or adding them into media because it's popular and never giving the character the depth it needs for people to really relate to them outside of who they like).

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

Front sm

greendog1510

I am David, is so boring and I am willing to read any book, but I will never read it again. 

• Posted at:

Kip

The Starry Kip Queen

If cookie are awesome, I guess I'm awesome!

I'm werid, GET USED TO IT

I love the night thou 

Goodbye my Friends

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Jade

Me too. If I have kids I'll explain the lgbt+ community before letting them read books about it. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

musicspy18

@Hazel - Alright, I wasn't sure.

• Posted at:

jade.

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

I want to say that this thread is no longer just for reviews saying not to read a book. If you liked a book but it had major/minor flaws and you want to write a review about those flaws you can do it on this thread. I'll be doing one soon. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Bunny Drop by Yumi Unita

This is a series you should never pick up. It's disgusting. I read volume 1 and thankfully looked up reviews for the other books and the ending was so disgusting that I dropped the series. My sibling randomly picked up the first volume which we both liked. It's a manga and it starts off with a 30 year old man whose grandfather just died and it is revealed that the grandfather had a young child who's 6. The 30 year old man takes in the little girl when no one else wants to take care of her while he looks for her mother who seems to have abandoned her. He's pretty immature for his age but through the adoption becomes more responsible and a better person while taking care of her and helping her through her trauma. It definitely wasn't the best manga I've ever read but it was touching, though he was an annoying character. It was the story of a blossoming father daughter relationship and adoption. Now here's how it ends in volume 9 (there is a volume 10 but I think it's a flashback): It turns out the 30 year old man Daikchi isn't related to the little girl Rin. Now it doesn't matter because he's basically the only father she has/remembers. He's her dad. It doesn't matter if it's biological or not. Rin, who's now 16-17 tells Daikchi that she's in love with him, and they decide to eventually get married when she's older. He's 40 when this happens. WHAT EVEN?!?! Here's a little bit of a review to sum it up (I had to edit it a little): 

"He tries to salvage the situation as best he can, giving an ultimatum that she give him two years to come to terms with the situation, and carry on with her school work as though nothing's happened - and if she meets someone she likes while in school to go for it and forget about him. Can't blame him for hoping that this will happen, though I'd still suggest the shrink myself.

Unfortunately for the poor guy, it doesn't work and after two years Rin graduates and is as infatuated as ever. It ends with Daisuke giving in, because 'he can never reject Rin outright'. It seems mostly like he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. And the two of them discuss the future."

First of all, how disgusting is that? Secondly, this isn't even realistic. Most normal adoptive parents would send their kid to a psychiatrist. And all of this is written by a woman. It's horrible. AND EVERYONE IN THEIR LIVES ARE HAPPY FOR THEM!!! I can't even believe that the character I knew in the first book did this. Anime/manga can be so gross and this is why I always do research before getting into something. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Book warning. Magisterium by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

The first book had one of the greatest twists and ideas I've ever read at the end. It's not a great series, but it's pretty good. But after reading the latest book (#4) it's obvious that the authors no longer care. The romance felt like it came out of nowhere. It would have been better if handled properly. The book was dragged out to make it longer. The characters didn't seem like themselves, and I don't mean that because of all that they've gone through. And the new major bad guy is laughable. It's really disappointing and underwhelming. I'll read the last one which is the next to be released, but it has so much more potential and the characters deserve better. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

yellowdragon597

THE TEA IN THE SECOND PAGE IS GOOD. KEEP GOING!

in all seriousness:

I feel that it is important to show LGBTQ+ people in books but not to an extreme. To be honest, I think LGBTQ+ in children's shows is a mixed reaction. It could be useful in case a parent feels awkward about talking about it. 

Yet, it should be kept as little surprises instead of whole lessons. Like how The Loud House has a Gay couple.

So that's my opinion on the stuff.

Books not to read: 

Alex Van Helsing: Too much incite on his thoughts, kinda Cringe worthy plot trope of "Teen boy has a secret family history and is the only one who can save the world.

Tombquest: Same plot trope as above.

The tell tale heart: This is only bad for those who are sqemish.

• Posted at:

Hey, I'm YD597!

I'm Crazy.

I'm Emo.

I'm an Artist.

I'm a Nerd.

I go by tomato to some.

You're trying to fall asleep but you feel like you can run halfway across the world ~agentaqua275 

SALT AND VINEGAR CHIPS ARE AMAZING AND YOU KNOW IT!

I AM Gay

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@YellowDragon597

I do like my tea. 

I thought this thread was dead and it's nice to see someone on and give their opinion! I will hopefully write a book warning and a  review in the next week.  

I never got around to reading the last Tombquest book partly because it felt like a chore. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee 

HUGE SPOILERS. Go Set A Watchman is the sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a masterpiece that everyone should read. Watchman ruins the first book in a huge way. Lee never had Watchman printed after she wrote it, and she was older when Watchman was published. There are questions of how much she understood or knew about the publication of Watchman, which was a media frenzy. Imagine if you had a moral character that many people look up to, but you the reader see him through the eyes of a fictional child. Then in the sequel the amazing father isn't that great. He's actually a racist, and very bitter. The character who was beloved for standing up to racism in the first book is now a racist himself. Or has he always been? Watchman is to me a sequel that the author toyed with but purposefully never had published. It ruined her characters. I like to think of it as a writing experiment. Or maybe that's because I want to see the characters Atticus and Jean as the almost perfect father and his mischievous child the same way forever. Or perhaps Atticus was always supposed to be racist. And yes, people change. But no one wants their heroes to end up being characters that they can no longer look up to. I will forever wonder if Lee was happy with Watchman being printed, but we might never know. 

Book warning for Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I was more than slightly horrified when I found out that Heights is considered by some to be a romance novel, and that some consider Heathcliff to be a romantic hero. This is not a romance novel. It's a dark tale where no one is likable. 

"I understand why many people hate this book. Catherine and Heathcliff are monstrous. Monstrous. You won't like them because they are unlikable. They are irrational, self-absorbed, malicious and pretty much any negative quality you can think a person is capable of possessing without imploding. They seek and destroy and act with no thought to consequence. And I find it fascinating that Emily Bronte chose them to be her central protagonists.

When this was first published it was met with animosity because of how utterly repugnant these two characters were. The way they go about their business caring nothing for others but themselves was enough for me to shake my head in complete and total judgment, as if Catherine and Heathcliff could see me and are then effectively shamed by their actions.

Wuthering Heights is epic, in my humble opinion, because I believe that the scope of this story is monumental. Let me explain: it is a simple tale between two families that are bound in such a way that their fates are irrevocably linked. What affects one, affects the other. Its about Catherine and Heathcliff who fall in love and how their relationship ruins the lives of those around them. The book, all 400 pages of it, occur almost entirely at Wuthering Heights, the estate of the Earnshaws, and at Thrushcross Grange, the estate of the Lintons with only a couple of miles of land in between."

It's a novel about hate, greed, selfishness, passion, abuse, obcession, sin, and the darkness of the human heart. You're not supposed to cheer anyone on. There is no hero. It is merely a story of the darkness of humans. And that's why it's a masterpiece. If you plan on reading Wuthering I suggest that you should be 16+. However old you are and if you decide to read it you should look into the content, which isn't as terrible as one might guess. But the darkness in the characters could be too much for some. Also make sure  to get a copy with notes in modern english to explain some of the language, as the book was published in 1847. One character's dialogue was very hard to understand and I wouldn't have understood most of it without the notes in the back. One last note, you will probably feel deeply the actions of the characters. Injustice is rampant in it. Expect to be haunted by it. Just like Watership Down changed the way I saw rabbits (I'm not kidding), Wuthering changed the way I see dark hills and moors forever. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

butterflycandy273

bookmark

• Posted at:

loading [B]andy.exe...

so if you care to find me, look to the western sky

#rememberhurricane

loading data, please wait...

joined 1/5/16

star count: 2142

homethread location: /322526

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Book warning for Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

"Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.

Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.”
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for."

1. There's a character named Keefe who doesn't start out as a main character but he becomes that. The series ends up basically becoming the Sophie and Keefe show. Keefe's sense of humor is honestly very cheesy. And I'm not trying to be mean to the author, but Keefe's dialogue is the worst of any character I've ever read. I've read bad dialogue, but his takes it to a new level, especially since we're supposed to take this character was someone who could really exist. But 98% of the time his dialogue is just awful. My brother agrees with me, so thankfully it's not just me. He's also pretty pushy with the main character, and a hypocrite. To make matters worse in the last book a female character was introduced who has Keefe's personality. 

2. A lot of the focus in the love square. It's pretty obvious now who's she's going to end up with, but the character is more oblivious than any male character I've ever read when it comes to their loves lives. I'm quite tired of it. She also has a best friend who is part of this love triangle but all she does is ignore him. There are no strong female relationships. She's friends with girls, but never anywhere near close. 

3. My favorite characters are Dex and Tiergan. Dex is Sophie's best friend whom she ignores, and everyone else ignores as well. From books 2-5 they became less and less relevant. In the last book (#6) they were involved like in the beginning of the series. Now I'm kinda reaching here but I believe I may or may not have had a part in this. Hear me out. The fandom is very small. It's most prevalent on two social media platforms. On one of them I made a post about how I was disappointed with these characters being ignored, and my post became very popular with people agreeing with me. The author has an account on this site. I already have a theory that Keefe has so much focus on him and no one else because of how many readers love his character. He's like a bad ripoff of Leo Valdez. I wasn't expecting Tiergan or Dex to have much written about them, and I was pleasantly surprised when they were. My theory is that the author is easily influenced by her readers opinion. The character Tiergan was given a role in book 6 that was originally given to another character in book 5. I really have no evidence and it's more based off feelings. But the fact that she's paying attention to them on top of the fact that while Keefe (her obvious favorite) wasn't given as much attention as he could have had makes me all the more suspicious. 

4. The last two books have been filler. In book 6 nothing really happened until the end and this was a 800 paged book. I hardly remember what happened because nothing did. It felt like Messenger was using her characters to continually stretch out the book and make it “logical” as to why they were doing what they were doing, which was basically nothing in the long run. It's either the author wants to make more money or isn't completely sure how she'll end her series. I finished a series where the 5th book is a filler, the 6th is full of filler and no growth, and the 7th is a flop. It doesn't deliver. Things aren't tied up. Characters are shoved to the side, and it ends in a deus ex machina (don’t read Michael Vey). And I have a really bad feeling that this series is going to end the same way. The characters find out basically nothing, and we have to wait another year for answers. And since for two years in a row the books have been basically stretched and been fillers, maybe the last will be rushed. It isn't good when you read a 800+ book and can't really remember what happened.

5. Reading this series reminds me from its dialogue that its aimed at people younger than me. It's full of unicorns, the world is sparkly and shiny, and it has more than once brought to mind my Lisa Frank notebook I still have. But then there's also prejudice, torture, PTSD, conspiracy, kidnapping, murder. Once minor thing that has always bothered me is the fact that the main character is pretty innocent from the beginning when we the readers are told that for years she had heard peoples thoughts in her head. That should make you a little crazy, or less innocent as a person. 

Am I happy that I picked up this series? There are plenty of great twists and shockers and interesting characters (who are ignored). But does that outweigh terrible dialogue and a huge amount of focus on a love square? Does it outweigh the main character who has now become annoying? I'm happy that I picked it up for the plot and some of its characters. I'm not happy over how a lot of it has been written. But I will be reading the last book (#7), I just hope it ends well. But a good amount of the series will always leave me disappointed. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

creativescarlet16

Branch: Lucian

Yeah, RR really was just doing stuff for more money, it seems. I liked how he didn't forget about Calypso, but in HoO....you had Beckendorf and Ethan Nakamura, and suddenly your cast expands tenfold out of nowhere? A lot of the characters are not that unique personality-wise anymore. Leo is like a more ridiculous version of Percy, Piper is a less book-smart version of Annabeth, etc. I don't know, but I feel like he just made the seven to show that he had diversity in his books.

• Posted at:

Thread-Ghost, I seem

asdfghjkl

A typewriter named me

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

I personally really liked the new characters Reyna, Hazel, and Frank. I didn't really care for Piper, Jason, or Leo though. I do think he's just stretching out his ideas for money now. I think the reason why the seven were so diverse was because he was criticized over how in the first series there wasn't much diversity. I especially liked how Reyna was Puerto Rican considering the fact that I'm half Puerto Rican. But I do agree with you over how certain characters in HoO personality wise didn't seem that fleshed out. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

When it came to people who joined in HoO, I only really liked Leo, Hazel, and Frank (after Mark of Athena). Jason just seemed too perfect, we never really knew too much about Reyna, and I really didn't care for Piper going on about Jason in The Lost Hero. She did best in scenes where she wasn't anywhere near him or thinking about him.

HoO seems like serialized shows in later seasons. It's so focused on what the plot is supposed to be, that they don't give enough time to the characters.

You know what kind of personality should have been in the Seven? A rather normal one. I mean, I get that them being outcasts in different ways (Preator of New Rome, fire abilities, the stick tied to life force, dying in the 1940s, celebrity dad and charmspeak, joining camp at 7 years old, etc.), it sort of united them all, but it kind of annoyed me that they all had to have grand powers/abilities. And almost everyone got rather snarky toward the end of the series.

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

I think Jason and Piper were my least favorites. And I agree with you about Piper's best scenes being without Jason, though there's a lot about the series I don't remember. I think Reyna and Nico's friendship was one of the best things about the series. 

Everyone being snarky towards the end of a series happens too often in fiction for my taste. In Magnus Chase it happened by book two! 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

epicpegasus39

aka UnlockingHidden1

Jason and Piper were definitely my least favorites. And Octavian, but everyone hates him. I did like the Reyna/Nico friendship, even though I really disliked the last book.

Agreed, and in movies. Look at Avengers: Age of Ultron. It's more like Avengers: Age of Snarkiness.

• Posted at:

Hazel

Respect IR

Remember Emerald

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

That fight scene at the end of HoO was the worst I've ever read and I don't understand why he thought it was okay? That was the beginning of the end. 

Lol, though I'm not remembering anything about Ultron dialogue wise. It's been a long time since I've seen it. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

That fight scene at the end of HoO was the worst I've ever read and I don't understand why he thought it was okay? That was the beginning of the end. 

Lol, though I'm not remembering anything about Ultron dialogue wise. It's been a long time since I've seen it. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Book warning for The Maze Runner by James Dashner

(MAJOR SPOILERS!) First off the main plot is an Idiot Plot. That means: "This trope is a term for a Plot that hangs together only because the main characters behave like idiots. A single intelligent move or question by any of the characters, and all problems would be resolved. It's not so bad if the characters are supposed to be acting like idiots, but it's very bad if the Idiot Plot depends on a character suddenly acting stupid enough for the Plot to work." 

Why it's an Idiot Plot: "WICKED's plan is basically this: instead of studying the Immunes actual immune system (the part of the body responsible for fighting diseases) they instead focus on mapping their neurological system (that is, the part of the body responsible for making decisions, and feeling emotions, and interpreting data, and making you "you") and never once do they realize that not only are these bodily systems completely unrelated, but that even if they could analyze the human brain to the point where they could copy its layout into another human being, it still wouldn't do anything because the body is dying of a disease, which is why the Immune are immune: their immune system is independent of the brain. WICKED should have studied that much more understood part of the body, but if they had, we would have no plot."

Now someone else from the site I got this from said this: "Actually, the immune system is linked to the brain—but that makes the idea of stress-testing people who are immune to find a cure even worse, since one of those links means that the more stressed you are, the worse your immune system works. Not that any of this would help if they're Immune because of a genetic mutation causing the virus to just not be able to get its foot in the door."

It makes no sense. Now for characters. Newt is my personal favorite. Teresa is a complex character who you can view in different ways. I liked Minho, but don't remember much about him. Thomas, the main character, isn't as interesting as everyone else, and I found him annoying. His other love interest Brenda was one of the most irritating characters I've ever read. The Maze Runner isn't great, but I'm happy that I read it. If Newt hadn't been in it I would have enjoyed it less. 

To those who have read The Fever Code (major spoilers): 

What do you think of Teresa? I'm not remembering everything about her arc but I do believe that she cared for Thomas and didn't care if he would end up hating her. Also I do believe that she didn't have her memories in the Glade. That email at the end of The Fever Code in Teresa's name was I believe written by Dr. Paige. It was written in the same style as Paige's email under Thomas' name.

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

SPOILERS FOR FEVER CODE:

I actually like her, despite what everyone says. That point about her email is a good one. This is now what I believe.

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Timetraveller

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Don't you forget about me

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

I didn't think my review would go through since yesterday the website went crazy after I submitted it. To add to it there are curse words, but they're more like made up substitutes. I've seen people point out plot holes. The Maze Runner isn't great. It's somewhere between okay and good. There's way better YA out there. And by that I mean The Hunger Games, The Lunar Chronicles, and three other books I've read. The best YA book I've read was Seraphina, and I reviewed the extremely disappointing sequel on this thread. 

@Lucy

Me too. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

This is a very well-loved book (maybe not here because it is an adult novel) and I just...ugh...I hated this book...

REBECCA by Daphne DuMarier

**SPOILERS**

Alright, so I was recommended this SO MANY TIMES by more than one family member, so naturally, I wanted to like it. Did I? No.

I’ll admit, as soon as I saw “TALE OF ROMANTIC SUSPENSE” I was turned off. I don’t typically read romance novels - actually, scratch that, I don’t ever read romance novels - but I thought, you know what? Just give it a shot.

Let’s just start off with the most annoying problem, the main character doesn’t even HAVE A NAME. You might be wondering, Well, what’s the point of that? I’m wondering the exact same thing, my friend. So, we’ll just call her Tiffany, on board with that?

Tiffany was basically everything that I hate about YA female characters. Whiny, childish, and immature. When the 11-12-year-old characters that I read about in MG fiction act more mature than a grown woman, you know you have issues.

I really did go into this with the intention to like Tiffany, but she just insisted on being the human embodiment of unseasoned chicken.

Okay, now into the relationship problems.

Tiffany and Maxim (who I was picturing like Maksim Chmerkovskiy from DWTS, idk why) knew each other for a few days, and Tiffany is just like: I LOVE HIM OMG BUT HE DOESN’T LOVE ME HE LOVES REBECCA, and I just got annoyed with that.

I like some romance (to an extent) but when you fall in love faster than it takes me to eat a medium pizza (which is pretty fast, by the way) it starts to get annoying.

Maxim is also like, low-key manipulative, not gonna lie.

Oh yeah! We find out a little over halfway through the book that Maxim was the one who MURDERED Rebecca because he didn’t love her. And yes, okay, Rebecca did cheat, which I will never support, but I also do not think that murder was the answer. I will say it louder for the people in the back: MURDER IS NOT THE ANSWER. EVER.

And what does Tiffany do? Be a rational human and say, “He murdered her, he might murder me too. I should probably get out of this relationship.”? No, she goes: HE DIDN’T LOVE HER BECAUSE HE LOVES ME!!! YAY!

The writing style was also really boring and way too descriptive, but I’m trying to be very lenient about that because it WAS written in the 30’s so writing style was different than now, so...

No, my issues with this book weren’t: THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN A LONG TIME AGO, IT’S BORING. Because A WRINKLE IN TIME was written a long time ago, and I adore that book.

My issues weren’t: THIS IS AN ADULT BOOK, IT SUCKS. Because the stuff that I hated about this book, I hate in any book whether it's adult, young-adult, and even middle grade.

I think maybe one of my biggest issues was this: this is an adult book. A book that’s supposed to have more mature characters than the dumb characters in YA, right? Wrong. The characters just reminded me of all the stupid characters in YA. The romance reminded me of all the stupid romance in YA.

Yeah, I just had a lot of issues with this book, but that’s just my personal opinion.

mods please let this through!

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Timetraveller

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

"I really did go into this with the intention to like Tiffany, but she just insisted on being the human embodiment of unseasoned chicken." < This sentence is a masterpiece. I honestly thought it was a YA book when I was reading your review. It sounds terrible. I went on Goodreads and I read that it's gothic literature. Also everyone is giving it 5 out of 5 stars? I'm so confused. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

Lol thank you! Ikr? Like, did we read the same book? I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I honestly feel like I read something different to what everyone else was reading.

And not to mention that Tiffany was 21 and Maxim was like, 45...

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Timetraveller

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

There are trashy/bad books that are popular. Honestly that age different wouldn't weird me out if she was really mature and they made a good match, but he's a terrible person so... Also she's unhinged. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY