Front sm

agentclue77

Branch: Ekaterina

So, I've seen people post videos and things where they discuss how they aren't too old to read YA. Well, I feel like that's great and all, but I have to discuss Middle-Grade and the floople (a word which here means bad things people say about people who read MG) we get based on it.

I'm sixteen and I can safely say that all the books on my top 10 favorite books list are MG* (don't get me wrong, I have read YA) People typically try to tell me that I should be liking YA and that MG  is getting to be too young for me. But you know what? I just don't care. I like these books, and for me, it doesn't matter that the typical age-range for MG is 8-12.

Now, what is YA and what is MG (for those of you who don't know)

YA is a term which here means Young Adult literature and the books that fall into the category are books like THE HUNGER GAMES, DIVERGENT, and THE MAZE RUNNER. The normal character age range is 14-19. I have read some good books in that section, but I like to stay away because they're normally filled with cliches and tropes that I'm just sick of.

MG is a term which here means Middle Grade literature and the books that fall into this category are books like HARRY POTTER, PERCY JACKSON, and THE 39 CLUES. The normal character age range for these is 10-14. I prefer these because (while there are ones with cliches, trust me) they don't usually have all these dumb romance tropes that no one likes.

I think I realized when I was maybe 11 that I didn't like YA. I had read THG, DIVERGENT, TMR, and TFIOS (my feelings on these last 3 are very mixed now) but I couldn't really find any other ones. And it wasn't that I didn't understand it, because I understood it perfectly fine, I just didn't like it anymore. Then I got introduced to MG again. I read THE 39 CLUES (my feelings on this one is very mixed now) and it made me fall in love with MG literature.

Up until I was 13, at Barnes & Noble on my birthday I was able to get a free pastry at the cafe inside the store, when I turned 13 I received 20% off on my next book purchase. But here was the catch: It could only be in the teen section. I thought that was really dumb so I bought a teen book, then returned it so I could get a MG book. And I had been doing that until this year when I decided to give YA a chance again. I decided to read ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell (why I thought reading a contemporary romance book was a good idea, idk) and I didn't really like it, so I exchanged it for REPLICA by Lauren Oliver (a book about clones which is right up my alley). *sighs* I just- I didn't like it. So, I exchanged it for IN OVER THEIR HEADS by Margaret Peterson Haddix (a MG book)

Idk, people just keep thinking that I'm too old for MG and I especially feel that way when I go check books out from the library or get books at Barnes & Noble since the MG books and the little kid books are together and it makes it look like I just walked into a kindergarten classroom.

*In case you actually cared about this part, here are my top 5 favorite books (NO ORDER):

1) MASTERMINDS by Gordan Korman

2) CHILDREN OF EXILE by Margaret Peterson Haddix

3) THE EXPLORERS: THE DOOR IN THE ALLEY by Adrienne Kress

4) RESTART by Gordon Korman

5) WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Something to believe in for even a night

Front sm

ravenfairy187

Branch: Lucian

That's my problem. 

Like, I'm going into 6th grade, however I read on a 12th grade reading level(If you know what a Lexile is, the one I took at the end of the year is 1,395.)

I can't stand most YA books cause of the romance. Which is why MG, while not for my reading level, is amazing. 

• Posted at:

Lani

I'd Rather Be Me Then Be With You

Also, I miss Newsies(Hannah)

And Mary Poppins(Bird Woman)

And Annie(July)

Front sm

elfbulldog81

*shrugs* I sort of like YA books. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm obsessed with PJO and my absolute favorite book is I'm pretty sure a MG book, but then again, that's just me. (I tend to like either action-y books or romance/action-y books. XD)

(P.S. Lucy, I'm pretty sure that my sister gave me "When you reach me"... Is it good? I haven't started reading it yet, so what do you think??)

• Posted at:

ELF

"But I don't regret,

Nor will I forget all who took the road with me.

To these memories I will hold

With your blessing I will go.

I bid you all a very fond farewell."

-Billy Boyd

Front sm

agentclue77

Lani-

Same...in Elementary school I was at high school reading level and my teachers were really strict with that which sucked

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

agentclue77

Elf-

Yeah, I'm not saying all YA is bad, that is not my point at all, I just hate all the tropes.

On the topic of WHEN YOU REACH ME, yes! It is AMAZING! Definitely check it out

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

creativescarlet16

I don't like MG books because I finish them in an hour or less.

I don't like YA books because, like you said, romances that are sappy and cliche. WHY DO YOU EVEN INCLUDE ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS, AUTHORS. THAT'S MY QUESTION.

• Posted at:

R E M E M B E R T H E L O S T 

*yEETS AWAY*

"I thought mascara was a fish"-Galaxian

"Make an insect AU and they're all fruit flies"- Ishmael

"Brussels sprouts are just delicious earth meatballs"-Becky

Deviantart is LivVirtual

Front sm

tsunamidragon1384

Im like middle grade, and i think that Ahsoka is a ya novel, but i dont know

• Posted at:

Jedi Master Artemis!

Currently Writing Surviving 66.

I FLUFFEH  UNICORN

My Gods Not Dead!

Proud Ravenclaw!

Daughter of Hades

Host of Neith

THE CLONE WARS IS BACK!!!!!

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Branch: Janus

Don't let other people take away something that you like from your life. Some of the greatest books ever are directed towards kids who aren't teens or just became teens. I usually don't read YA since it's sometimes full of language and inappropriate behavior. I finished the first book in The Lunar Chronicles recently, which is YA. I liked it, though it had a cliché romance and the characters weren't as fleshed out as they could have been. But from reviews I've seen it gets better as a series. Also When You Reach Me is definitely on my top books list. Remember, it's your time. You're reading the books you choose. You shouldn't read/watch/listen to something to please others. And I understand that you may feel embarrassed, but don't be. Also there's more to books than MG and YA. There's also classics. I read the book Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis and it was so good!!! I would recommend it for anyone 16-17 and over. You're never too old for a good book, even if it happens to be directed towards people younger than you. : ) 

• Posted at:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

~Monica Cahill~                 1 John 4:10 

"Fantasy reveals what reality obscures."

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

Monica-

I love what you just said omg. I actually have THE LUNAR CHRONICLES on my TBR and hope it's good. Anyway, what you said reminds me of a quote from STRANGER THINGS: "You shouldn't like something just because other people tell you you should." Thanks for that!

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

jadecat1391

@Lani

NO way

i hate YA and like MG

Our lexile scores are the same

We are going into the same grade

• Posted at:

CATTE

AKA:

The pun master (more than you, LUCINA)

The cat lady

The undertale fangirl

Depressed

Atheist

BISEXUAL

KITTIIIIIIEEEEESSS

Sci-fi

Oreos

Alphdyne

- crisis

會 - opportunity 

They are one in the same. We are the future. We are leaders.

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

Hi. I'm 17 and I mostly read MG unless it's for school. I love our Children/Youth librarian, but she gets A LOT of books that are DARK or romance. I don't like either. All the zombies and witches and what not - not my thing. I have a lot of MG that I like. Some of the MG books that I like actually seem like books for older kids because of the lexile score, but they are more complex and interesting. 

I volunteer at the library, mostly in the Children/Youth section. We moved out of our library a couple of years ago so our library could be renovated and added to. We're going to be moving back soon. Right now it's my job to cull the books that are damaged. I'm almost done. Today I spent 2-1/2 hours going through YA graphic novels. OMGosh! I never realized how dark that stuff is - not to mention the violence and stuff that's not PG! Many are so worn and I wonder how many parents actually know what their kids are reading. I'd get grounded for life if I tried to read one of those books! We have twice as many in storage that I'll be going through soon, too. Oh my!

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Lucy

I've never heard or read that Stranger Things quote. You're welcome! Have you ever watched Stranger Things? I was just wondering because I'm curious of how much horror is in it, since I'm interested in watching it. But I don't like horror. 

• Posted at:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

George-

Same! One of my friend's older brother loves YA graphic novels, and you know what? Good for him. But my friend and I were looking through them just to see what he was talking about and we were just like: What the heck?

Anyway, glad to see that someone else around my age understands

Monica-

Yes, I have actually. Don't worry, I'm a real wimp when it comes to scary things, and I mean, it is creepy, but it isn't I'm peeing the bed every night for 3 months scary.

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

kindhydra1

@Lucy (I almost wrote Sarah. STILL. Whoops.)

I personally enjoy YA more because I like when the protagonist is relatable age and (sometimes) going through relatable problems. However, I'm at no shame to say that PJO will probably always be one of my favourites. But I will probably never touch a YA romance novel. I'll stick to the fantasies and dystopias, thank you very much. Actually, though I'm not totally sure, I think you'd like this book I read a couple months ago. I think it's called the Keeper of the Mist and it's a YA, but it is NOT cliche, it is NOT predictable and there is a slight bit of romance, it's not that sappy stuff.

@Monica

I heard from a friend that the second book in the Lunar Chronicles is the worst, so even if you find yourself uninterested, her advice to me was to push through and know that that the third, and then fourth books are way better. :)

• Posted at:

I am Zoey

I'm a Janus

I'm a Madrigal

I'm a daughter of Athena

I'm a hunter of Artemis

I'm a member of Erudite as well as divergent

I have a penguin spirit animal

I'm a hystorian

I'm Atlantian

I'm a zebra

I'M A BOOK LOVER!!!!

-KindHydra1 (39 Clues Mber)

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@Lucy

Ah okay. Thanks for letting me know! 

@Zoey

I'll make sure to chug along. : ) I'm about to start it soon. Thanks for letting me know! 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

readingmystery130

I am 15 and was thinking am I too old for MG books?! I am so glad I am not the only teen who reads MG books!

• Posted at:

<{Rylee}>

I like a LOT of different things!

•MASTERMIND•

• Cahill (39 clue fangirl)•

• Elounor shipper•

•CHRISTIAN GIRL•

•book lover•

•one word..{Lovely}-Ian karbra.

ONE DIRECTION FAN!#1D4LIFE

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

For my niece's (Abby) 12th birthday this spring my mom and I gave her the set of "The City of Ember". I explained to her what dystopian and utopian were and how she would learn why some people do bad things thinking it's the right thing to do. That there would be a lot of behavior in the book that would help her in her own situations in the future. Her mom (my sis) was all over me! She thought it was something like The Hunger Games! I'm like, "Seriously - you don't think I know better than that, at her age, after all of these years of giving books for gifts?" Then the 9yo sister (Joce) told her mom, "Oh, I read the first book in school this year! I liked it!" LOL - my sis continued to read the back of the boxed set because she didn't believe Joce or me. 

I like books like these that make you think while they entertain you!

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

agentclue77

Rylee-

I love seeing more and more teens loving middle-grade!

George-

Lol! That sounds like something that would happen to me! Anyway, yes! That's probably why I love middle grade books so much, that they make you think, but still thoroughly entertain you.

IN CASE ANYONE CARES, MY UPDATED LIST (NO ORDER):

MASTERMINDS - Gordon Korman

CHILDREN OF EXILE - Margaret Peterson Haddix 

RESTART - Gordon Korman

THE EXPLORERS: THE DOOR IN THE ALLEY - Adrienne Kress

WONDER - R.J. Palacio (this one hits so close to home, you have no idea)

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

Wonder was such a good book! The trailer came out for the movie maybe a month ago. 

• Posted at:

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

Monica-

Ikr? Yeah, I know, I keep watching over and over lol

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

agentclue77

BTW if anyone wants a thread talking about my problems and opinions on YA literature, just let me know...

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

ravenfairy187

@Catte

Scary...

• Posted at:

Lani

I'd Rather Be Me Then Be With You

Also, I miss Newsies(Hannah)

And Mary Poppins(Bird Woman)

And Annie(July)

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

Riley -

I like the Children of Exile series as well as Mastermind and Wonder. I can't wait to see the movie either! I LOVE the Mr. Lemoncello's Library series. The movie trailer is incredible. We don't have TV so I don't know when I'll get to see the movie, but I can't wait! One of my new favorites is The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. A sequel is coming out! This is an amazing book!

George

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

agentclue77

George-

OH MY GOODNESS! SOMEONE ELSE WHO LIKES CHILDREN OF EXILE AND MASTERMINDS?!? Anyway, I saw that trailer! It looks different, but at the same time very similar? If that makes sense. Ooh! I'll have to check it out.

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi