Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Branch: Janus

@Shadia: Haha thanks! I have a feeling you are going to love the next chapter.

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

dawndancer15 aka ButterflyActress33

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

"Charming, 'andsome, and speaks French? Amy, keep him." - Marguerite Beaufort

Updates every Tuesday and Friday! 

Read the new and improved rewrite at: forums/topics/287662

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Awwww yiiisssssssssss, a second page, weeeerrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

It's that time again! And I am not going to give a big intro today, because I want to just jump into this. Without further ado, here is the next chapter!

Chapter 6: Sisters

“Make new friends, but keep the old; one is silver, the other’s gold.” - Unknown

“Good seeing you, ‘cuz!” Jonah Wizard shouted back at her, flashing a lopsided grin as he strolled away from Amy, steering his delicate flower of a fiance towards the general direction of long-time pal, Hamilton Holt.

To say that Amy was “surprised” at how the evening was turning out would have been a gross understatement. She was stunned, amazed, and honestly, quite frightened by her warm reception from the Cahill clan. With a few exceptions, the majority of her friends and family had welcomed her back with open arms and big smiles, and all in all, it was confounding. By all accounts, they should have hated her! That would have at least made some sense. But then again, Cahills weren’t usually known for their ability to take the easy paths in life - their choices were most often made with the heart ruling the head every time.

Amy felt a hint of a smile creeping onto her face. Like always, it was their ability to feel so deeply that made them so distinctly unique.

Suddenly, Amy felt two soft hands cover her eyes, and she gasped in shock.

“Guess who?” asked a familiar voice, and Amy squealed in joy. Finally!

“Oh my god, Nellie!”

Turning herself around, Amy took a good look at Nellie Maslow née Gomez, a woman whom she has always considered like an older, more fun sister who still managed to keep an air of responsibility and respect around her. The stunning female’s brown eyes sparkled with mirth, and her short chestnut hair had a rebellious streak of purple to match her lovely lavender gown. Amy loved it - it was like her former au pair dressed up for the occasion without changing a single quirky thing about herself.

“Oh, kiddo, I’ve missed you so much!” Nellie exclaimed, as she hugged Amy tightly to her. “How are you? How’s New York? How’s lecturing? How’s Jake? How’s ‘our friend’ - ”

“Whoa!” Amy interrupted, laughing at Nellie’s quick questioning. “New York is beautiful, lecturing has its ups and downs, Jake is busy, and so is ‘our friend’. Oh, and I’m fine, of course.”

“Of course you are! I mean, look at you, you’re gorgeous!” Amy blushed lightly at the compliment. “And positively glowing!”

“Only because I’m so happy to see you,” Amy responded. “But enough about me - what’s been going on in your life? How is Andrew? And the twins! How are my favorite troublemakers?”

Nellie rolled her eyes and linked her arm through Amy’s. “Don’t even get me started! I mean, Andrew’s been godsend, like always. I honestly wonder what I have done in my past life to deserve a man like that - ‘good’ doesn’t even begin to cover it. But the twins! You know, I’ve suspected it would happen for a long time, but as they’ve been growing older, I’ve become more certain of it.” She paused dramatically. “I’m pretty sure they can read and control minds now. And not just each others, but everyone’s in proximity to them. It’s the only explanation as to how they manage to get away with literally everything!”

Amy laughed. “Are you sure it’s not because you let them get away with literally everything?”

Nellie scoffed in return. “Psh, what? Me? I would never! I am as strict as a prison warden with them!”

“Coming from the woman who let twelve-year-old Dan fly a plane without a pilot’s licence,” taunted the redhead in a singsong voice. “By himself.”

Nellie bumped her shoulder playfully. “Totally untrue, that rascal stole the plane and we all know it.”

“You didn’t stop him.”

“Well, at least he learned from his mistakes.” The women glanced at each other and burst out in boisterous guffaws.

“They must be what, three now?” Amy asked, wiping tears of amusement out of her eyes.   

“Three and a half. Trust me, they will remind you every time with a fit of rage so awful you will never dare insinuate that they may be younger than they actually are again. It’s one of their many control tactics,” Nellie said. “Now, even though I can talk about my beloved children forever, I want to know - what is this party about?”

Amy sighed. “I can’t tell you.”

“What?” the short-haired woman screeched. “And why not?”

“It’s a surprise that will be unveiled later on in the evening,” she stated. “I promise, just be patient.”

“Ugh, no thanks.” Nellie squinted her eyes suspiciously, and took a step back from the eldest of the Cahill siblings. “It isn’t . . . ?”

Though it took only a short second, Amy spotted how Nellie’s eyes quickly flashed to her left hand, more specifically, her ring finger. She let out a breath of discontentment at her friend’s action. Great. It has begun.

“No, it isn’t,” she confirmed, and Nellie groaned in frustration.

“Come on!” the culinary whiz whined. “How much time does the guy need, honestly, this is getting ridiculous!”

“Tell me about it,” Amy quietly grumbled. “But don’t worry! Trust me, the surprise is much more . . . surprising than that.”

“Well, it must be a surprise of titanic proportion to finally get you down here,” purred a silky, feminine voice, and Amy and Nellie’s heads immediately snapped toward its general direction. The sight that greeted them made their jaws drop.

Tall, slender, armed and dangerous, Natalie Kabra was the epitome of the classic lady in red. Her jet black hair was pulled into a slick bun, and her gown rivaled those worn by queens and empresses thanks to its fine detailing and long, silky train. Strangers simply stared in awe at the British beauty, too gobsmacked to say or do anything in the presence of a woman who could shut them up with a simple a cool glance sent their way. Maybe to those aforementioned strangers it might’ve even seemed like the daughter bared an uncanny resemblance - in looks and in heart - to her deceased and infamous mother. However, Amy saw right through that ice cold facade the young girl spent her entire life building. Natalie’s expressive eyes held something Isabel’s never did - a kindness and vulnerability molded from the perseverance of her own strength.

Which is why, of course, the former Cahill leader boldly stepped towards the Kabra female, and pulled her into a tight embrace which was - unsurprisingly - heartily returned. Whether she was thirteen or twenty-four, Natalie had never once stopped being her friend and family - the two had gone through too much to simply let their unique acquaintanceship die after all the tests it endured, so they instead opted for becoming something akin to sisters instead, despite the many unfortunate circumstances that played part in that distinct decision.

“Oh, it’s been too long!” cooed the Barbie doll.

“We’ve only just spoken two weeks ago!” Amy exclaimed, laughing slightly. Many might not associate Natalie with a “keeping up with friends” type, but Amy knew that just like anybody (maybe even moreso), the young woman needed affection and attention from her peers on a consistent basis. As she had explained to the Cahill girl before, it might or might not have had something to do with growing up in a household consisting of an evil mother, a distant father, and a more or less troubled brother, all whom had in one way or another largely underestimated and ignored the runt of the family for a very long time.

“And what am I, chopped liver?” Nellie shouted, with a mock outraged tone.

Natalie just hugged the woman  who was really attempting to look affronted, but was failing wonderfully. “Hey, Nellie.”

Though the two weren’t as tightly bound as Natalie and Amy were, the pair did come to a close second. After the terror she had endured underneath the cruel imprisonment of the Vespers, Natalie came to see Nellie as something a lot more than a glorified babysitter - she was a true friend (and sometimes even a surrogate mother) dispensing helpful advice, or just listening to the problems the young Londoner’s life presented her.    

“Well, Amy dear, looks like your fashion sense has taken a major uprise,” Natalie commented as she scanned the Cahill up and down and detached herself from Nellie. “I must say, that dress is wonderful, even if it isn’t from my line.”

“Coming from you, Nat, that’s the highest compliment a gal can receive,” Amy replied with slight smile.

“Remind me to dress you for the next big event. I have a piece that I’m working on that would be just perfect for you.” The girl scanned the room nonchalantly. “So, this is quite a posh ‘shindig’, as you Americans would call it - ”

Nellie rolled her eyes dramatically, and took another sip of champagne.

“Are you quite certain that you cannot spill the beans just a little bit?”

The married woman among them just scoffed. “Don’t even try, Nat, I’ve been attempting to get her to open up, but she refuses to budge.”

“Yes, but darling, your methods of extortion are nothing compared to mine,” Natalie pointed out. “No offense, I know you try your best.”

“None taken.”

“First, that may be true, and second, Natalie Kabra you wouldn’t dare!” Amy exclaimed.

“Try me,” teased the raven-haired girl with a smirk. “Seriously though, how’s it been so far today? With your sudden return and everything.”

“Quite honestly, not too bad. Actually, with a few exceptions, it’s been . . . almost dreamlike,” Amy replied. A lone thought suddenly popped into her head that made her face turn sour. “I saw Sinead.”

There was small silence before anyone spoke.

“Wow, you really haven’t heard?” Nellie asked, a strange and curious expression on her face. “I thought Dan might have been exaggerating.”

Amy frowned slightly. That was one of her punishments for daring to start over - she was out of the loop for everything related to Cahill business.

“Last time I saw her, she was being permanently deported,” she confessed.

Natalie took a large gulp of her drink. “That was supposed to be the arrangement, yes. But customs has taken a keen interest in her case. Apparently, they’re thinking of reevaluating their decision. I reckon it has something to do with Cahills, someone of influence must have pushed for this to be done so quickly and quietly. Sadly, I haven’t had the time to investigate the matter myself, I’ve been busy as of late. Anyway, the arrangement at the moment is that she could stay with her parents for up to five months, and is required to wear an ankle monitor when going outside of the house.” She glanced at Amy. “She must also have a formal invitation to visit anyone else’s home.”

“Don’t look at me, I didn’t send her anything,” Amy said. Must’ve been Dan. But why? “Are you okay?”

Natalie let out a small snort. “Yeah, as long as the twit stays far away from me, I’m fine.” Amy could see that she was anything but, however, there was really nothing she could say or do to make the younger girl feel better, it was after all, a great ordeal that she went through. Maybe listening could help. “You know, I could’ve forgiven her for her rat like tendencies and for nearly getting me killed, but I draw the line at - ” Once again, Natalie looked over at Amy hesitantly. “At my brother, I draw the line at Ian. What she did to him . . . now that puts a whole new weight to the word despicable.”

“It was a long time ago,” Nellie whispered.

“Not nearly long enough.”

Amy had to agree with the Kabra female there. Emotional scars leave their mark, and Sinead’s meddling and plotting was horrific, no matter how young and damaged she was back then. The Starling triplet was always considered to be a genius, so it should have come to nobody’s surprise that she knew to hit where it hurt the most. Still, no one was truly prepared for the lengths that she would go to for her vendetta against Amy Cahill and the people she held close to her heart. Those type of betrayals are hard to forgive, and nearly impossible to forget.

“I draw the line at Ian . . .”

Ian . . .

I wonder if he’s . . . Amy shook her head. No! Not again.

The last thing she needed or wanted was a walking reminder of one of the biggest mistakes of her life.

How I would kill for Jake to be here right now! she thought, letting out a loud breath.

“Penny for your thoughts?” came Natalie’s voice.

“Trust me, they’re not that interesting.” Oh, if only she knew. “I’m going to go get some food, do you guys want anything?”

“I’m good with the food, but I do want to go see Dan. I think I’m going to go find him,” Nellie asked.

“I’ll join you,” Natalie said. “It’s been awhile since I mercilessly mocked Daniel, and I do rather enjoy that blessed pastime.”  

Amy giggled. “You two have fun.”

It might have been her imagination playing with her, but she could have sworn Natalie’s eyes flash over her shoulder and widen for a split second before returning back to normal. One thing that she was sure she wasn’t imagining was that the brunette left with a hint of a smile on her lips. Interesting.

As Amy made her way across the ballroom looking for a waiter passing around those delicious finger sandwiches, she wished that Veronica would have had dinner served earlier. Her stomach grumbled with dissatisfaction, and she blushed furiously at its loud sounds which were attracting the attention of some snickering guests. Amy was so fixated on her slight embarrassment that she wasn’t really paying attention as to where she was going.

The next thing that happened could be interpreted in many different ways. Maybe it was fate, or maybe just another one of her klutzy moments, but Amy tripped over her long dress, and stumbled straight into a man, for the second time that evening. However, this time, both came crashing down onto the marble floor beneath them.

To say the least, she was mortified. “Sir, I am so, so sorry, really I have no idea what has gotten into me tonight, I swear I am not usually like this - ”

“Past experience begs to differ.”

And at the sound of that voice, she froze, only registering the first three things that came to her brain. British. Clove. Armani suit. God, please, no!

Daring herself to finally look upon the face of the man that she was currently sprawled all over, her suspicions were confirmed. High cheekbones framed his expressive amber eyes and accentuated his jawline, drawing attention to his full lips as a stray piece of wavy black hair broke away from it’s tight gelled hold on top of his head. He pushed it back into place, never once breaking eye contact with Amy, or making any move to get out from underneath her weight, almost leading her to believe that he enjoyed being there. Almost.

She knew she should have broken that gaze, got up and walked away like this accidental meeting never happened, but blame it on shock or literally anything else, she couldn’t for the life of her look away.

The man smirked softly, and Amy swore that her heart was going to jump out of its chest cavity.

“Hello, lover,” whispered the one and only Ian Kabra.

Well, well, well, now isn't that a cliffhanger! XD I have a feeling all you Amian fans are going to love Tuesday's chapter. Oh, and for everyone who thought I might have made the mistake by saying "lover" instead of "love", nope, that was purposely done, and also partially inspired by "Hello Lover" by the Empires (give it a listen, you won't regret it). Also, fun fact: the relationship between Nellie, Natalie, and Amy was partially inspired by the Bennett sisters from Pride & Prejudice! What do you guys think? Comment down below!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

snakedancing13

*is making little origami ships and putty little Ian and Amy figures in them and floating them in the bathtub* I love Amian SO much!!!!!!!!! But I also ship Hamead. How could you do this, Veronica? How?!!!!!!!!!! 

*sobs dramatically* 

But wait, there's still a chance. You can still make them end up together. 

So, if you'll excuse me while I go discretely kill this Matt character.

~Krista~

• Posted at:

Recipient of Mickey's Respect

Krista the Key

Will you give all you can give

So that our banner may advance?

Some will fall and some will live

Will you stand up and take your chance?

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Krista: XD I gotta admit, I was going to go the Hamead route originally, but with the whole development of Ham coming out and everything, and the decision to still keep up tensions between Sinead and the family, I thought that it would be better to showcase more diversity of thinking and feeling within the Cahill clan. But who knows . . . it is quite a story, and anything can happen . . . BUT AMIAN *screams*, you have no idea how much I enjoyed writing that last part!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Branch: Ekaterina

that was an AMAZING chapter. I love how you would write about the 39 clue characters when they are older and adults, and what is going on in their lives!  and i love, love, Love, LOVE, LOVE AMIAN so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

#Youcanbeanythingwhenyouread

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: That means the world, thank you! And yes, I find that writing about them when they're "all grown up" serves for a more telling story, with endless possibilities to fill in the gaps in their lives. Plus, not all of us can say we went on a search all over the world for clues, or faced homicidal maniacs when we were teenagers. However, we can all relate to having unresolved pasts, being alienated and lonely, bored out of our wits, and having no idea as to what direction we want our lives to head in, and the aim of this story is to show that even that what we associate with as trivial, matters a great deal to everyone. And I think you will LOVE the next chapter, and the many more chapters to come, because now we are really getting into the juicy, drama filled bits *whisper chants Amian*. XD

~Vanessa~ 

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

ooh! Can't wait!

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

darkqueen30

aka DetectiveGirl13

I had been waiting so long for this! This story has been one of the first fanfics I read here and I just love it, like, congratulations! 

~APHRODITE~

• Posted at:

Proud Greek

Ninjas, Ninjas, Ninjas in pyjamas! (Let's show them who we are!) **follows trap dance :P**

Proud Little Black Star

Aphrodite, the dark queen of CCMB

\m/ metalhead 4ever

#RememberSkylarAndAnyoneWhoDiedfromCancer

Sasuke Uchiha <3

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Aphordite: Thank you, I'm always glad to see a return reader, and I am very happy that you are enjoying the fic so far! :)

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

I invite everyone here to go join my 39 clues writing prompt challenge! There's plenty to write about and I would love to see what your ideas are! Here is the link! forums/topics/290962

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

SEVENTH CHAPTER HERE WE GOOOO!!! EEK!!! This was a doozy, and I was laughing so hard writing a part of it. Definitely one of my favorites so far. I hope you like it!

Chapter 7: Baby

“Could a scar be like the rings of a tree, reopened with each emotional season?” - Magenta Periwinkle

Lover.

Lover.

Lover.

Seems like someone had graduated onto more scandalous nicknames. Amy wasn’t sure if she should still attempt to make a run for it and humiliate herself further, however, she did know that she should probably say something to keep that awful silence from getting any more awkward. Anything, really; a clever anecdote, or perhaps a comment about the weather - ooh, maybe even a humorous catchphrase!

But no, the only response that came to her lips was a bewildered, “Ian.” How eloquent.

The man in question raised a perfectly groomed brow and cocked his head to one side, as if to say, “That’s it?”

But the green-eyed woman didn’t know what else there was to say. The pair’s extensively shared history made words useless in these types of situations - situations that she never expected to face in reality, to be perfectly honest.

How long has it even been since she last uttered a word to the eldest Kabra sibling? Oh yes, five years.

Truthfully, she didn’t think that she would still care by now. Didn’t think that the mere sight of him would still have the capacity to render her totally speechless. But then again, Ian was always good on that front.

My life just got a thousand times more complicated.

“Amy darling, Nellie was wondering - oh, dear.” It was at the sound of Natalie’s voice that Amy realized that she was still completely spread all over the girl’s brother, and she hastily scrambled off of him with an ugly scarlet flush consuming her face. Ian got up with a bit more dignity, but unless she was mistaken, he also had a little rosy pink coloring staining his cheeks.

Natalie just stared at both of them with pity and a hint of mirth, like this was a laughable situation, god forbid. “Did I interrupt something?”

“No!” the two yelled.

“Everything is fine,” Amy added quickly, her face still looking like the envy of every tomato in town.

Natalie didn’t even attempt to look convinced. “Yes, I can see that.”

“Ian!” a sweet female voice called, immediately capturing the attention of the trio.

Amy didn’t recognize the woman, but she couldn’t deny that she was beyond stunning. Ethereal, tall, leggy, blonde, and sporting a tight orange dress that would have looked hideous on anybody else, the woman used the ballroom as her own personal runway, making any man nearby openly gawk at her beauty. She looped her arm through Ian’s and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Hi, gorgeous!”

Ian flashed her a tight lipped smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Hey.”

It was then that the blonde took notice of the women in her presence, one looking completely stupefied and the other just really annoyed. She quickly turned her attention to Natalie.

“Nat!” the woman screeched, flashing the younger Kabra a sickeningly sweet, yet somehow feral grin. “It’s been so long! You look great, whatever you’ve done with your skin is such an improvement, girlie!”

It took all of Amy’s strength to not drop her jaw to the floor. She quickly glanced at Natalie and saw a glimpse of murder in the girl’s eyes. Oh no.

“Aries,” Natalie managed to grind out after a long pause. “I’m so . . . happy to see you.”

The two girls exchanged air kisses, Aries looking blissfully content and Natalie looking like she would rather be anywhere in the world but Attleboro right now. Both pulled away with equally fake expressions on their pretty faces.

Finally, Aries turned to acknowledge Amy, though to her it seemed less like an acknowledgement and more like an evaluation of some sort. Amy had to admit that she felt a little bit . . . well, small under the woman’s gaze, and it wasn’t just because she towered over her like a giant.

“Aries,” Natalie started. “May I introduce you to one of my greatest friends, Miss Amy Cahill - ”

“Oh!” Aries interrupted. “You’re one of the hosts, right? Ian told me a little bit about you!”

Amy glanced at the dark haired man to find him suddenly really interested in his shoes. Strange, what did he say exactly?

“Yeah, that would be me.”

The blonde flashed a brilliant smile. “I’m so glad to finally meet you!” Aries leaned closer to her and mock whispered, “Oh, and congratulations.”

Amy frowned in response. What? Aries didn’t know about Jake, so it couldn’t have been another one of those ridiculous “I knew he had it in him!” sort of congratulations.

“I’m sorry?” she asked, confusion written all over her face.

Aries giggled, and Natalie rolled her eyes. “What are you talking about, Aries?” the brunette snapped.

Aries looked like she was going to burst, the poor girl was almost jumping up and down in excitement. Finally, it seemed like she couldn’t contain her secret any longer.

Amy would look back on this moment and wish that she had.

“Congratulations on the baby!” Aries screamed. Very loudly.

Heads turned. Natalie’s champagne flute shattered on the floor. Ian looked nothing short of horrified. And Amy just wished that the ground could swallow her whole.

“W-what baby?” she finally managed to let out after a long pause.

“Your baby, silly! This is what the party is for, after all!” exclaimed Aries, clueless as ever. “You must be what, five months along now? I have a knack for knowing these things, you know - maternal instincts. So, who’s the daddy? When’s the due date? Ooh, can I rub your belly, I hear it bring good lu - ”

“Aries,” Ian barked so sharply Amy and Natalie both flinched. He looked positively livid, but sadly, neither his tone nor obviously pissed off facial expression had the desired effect on his own date. Taking a couple of deep breaths, he said in the calmest voice possible, “Why don’t you go get us a couple of drinks?”

Aries smiled that vacant smile of hers, thankfully forgetting all about Amy’s non-existent baby. “Okay.” She gave Ian’s hand a squeeze. “See you soon, love.”

Ian couldn’t even manage to grace her with a semi-polite response.

“. . . What just happened?” Natalie asked, shock still written all over her face.

Amy couldn’t blame her. She also didn’t factor in a stranger barging into her old house and insisting that her outfit made her look so fat, the only explanation to it was that she must be carrying a child. She had to admit, that did sting a little, especially since she actually kind of felt a little bit pretty in that dress. Emphasis on felt. No matter, she couldn’t let it get to her. So, with a deep breath, Amy gathered her senses and quietly said, “I think Ian’s girlfriend here just told me I look five months pregnant.”

She walked away to the sound of Natalie’s feminine hand hitting the back of her brother’s thick skull.

***

“Ow!” Ian shouted, clutching his head in obvious pain. “What the bloody hell was that for?”

“Oh, don’t play dumb, Ian! It was never one of your more attractive looks,” Natalie retorted aggressively, arms folding in front of her chest in the process. “What were you thinking, you fool? Bringing her here? Her, out of literally any other girl on the planet?”

“Relax, Natalie,” Ian attempted to soothe. Unfortunately, his words had the opposite effect as his sister turned to give him another smack. Thankfully, he was prepared for it this time. “I couldn’t get a date on time, and she was the only girl in the area who was available - ow, stop it!”

“Go single then, you moron! You know that American ninny has no filter!” Natalie yelled. “Or brain!” The brunette took a deep, cleansing breath and rubbed her temples. “I cannot believe she said that to Amy.”

Ian sighed. Truthfully, he shouldn’t have put it past Aries Scott to say something so utterly thoughtless and rude - and untrue, for that matter. It was so in the female’s character, and Ian berated himself for not seeing something like that coming. The guilt and embarrassment he felt when thinking back to the image of Amy’s face deflating by the second at Aries’ “observation” was little too strong for his liking.

How in the world did she even come up with that? Ian thought to himself.  

In his honest and completely unbiased opinion, Ian believed that Amy Cahill looked nothing short of radiant, and not at all in the maternal way that his date had suggested. Her auburn hair in waves, and her green eyes holding that mysterious sparkle, and that dress - oh, the dress! - pooling around her feet like some sort of lake of gray tulle . . . well, she looked like a bloody princess, anyone could see that.

“Looking for someone?” Natalie said, breaking him out of his reverie. Ian glanced at his sister and found her slyly smirking at him, clearly letting him know that she saw him scanning the crowds eagerly for the female Cahill sibling.

Ian just rolled his eyes in return, but said nothing as Natalie grinned in triumph. “You know, there’s this revolutionary concept called talking about the past. You two love birds should try it, maybe it could resolve some of your deep rooted issues.”

“Do shut up,” Ian grumbled. “And there’s nothing to resolve. Amy and I are fine.”

“Oh, I could see that from the way you two were clearly able to converse indifferently, and go on your merry way. Heaven forbid if you weren’t able to string two words together and just kept staring at each other like you were from different planets, now that would give people a whole different impression.” Natalie raised an eyebrow. “Let’s not tell lies, Ian.”

“I’m not - ”

“And let’s not forget that the last time you saw her, she ran away to New York forever without so much as a goodbye. An evening not too unlike this one, if I am correct. Suit and tie, fancy dress, Cahill mansion . . . history sure likes to repeat itself, doesn’t it? Must hurt.”

He didn’t have a witty retort against her statement this time - in classic Natalie fashion, she had struck way below the belt. Ian scowled deeply - he sure didn’t need a reminder of that blasted night. “I’m going to go find Aries.”

“Yes, you go do that,” Natalie said. “With any luck, maybe she’ll turn up in a body bag.”

“Natalie!”

“Only kidding!” she called as he started walking away from his pest of a little sister. “Gosh, some people are just too serious.”

***

As Natalie strolled through the ballroom, she contemplated what she was just bared witness to five minutes earlier.

Amy and Ian . . . Ian and Amy . . . A tale spanning over a decade with seemingly no positive conclusion anywhere in sight. Or at least, that’s what the sceptics believed.

Natalie, however, couldn’t agree any less. She still had hope that one day - and maybe one day soon - the two would work out their differences, accept their similarities, and build a life together, like they were always supposed to do. Natalie smirked to herself. She knew that her brother was still not as immune to Amy Cahill’s charms as he’d like to believe, just like she knew that with the glances the Cahill threw his way, Amy cared a little more than she would have liked to let on. It was absolutely insufferable the way their pride and distrust took priority over their own hearts. They could save so much time if they’d just stop taking those dumb little detours of theirs.  

But what do I know? she thought sarcastically. It’s not like she understood even a little bit about love and loss herself, right?

God, how she wished that were true.

“Excuse me,” she said stiffly as she bumped into someone. Honestly, who’s bright idea was it to stuff so many people into one room anyway?

“Natalie?” The brunette looked up and met the eyes of one Dan Cahill. Wonderful, just what she needed.

She scoffed snootily. “I take it back - excuse you, not me, I nearly forgot that I don’t apologize to plebs.”   

“Well, I see you’re just a ray of sunshine like always,” Dan responded in a monotone voice, sporting a very annoyed expression. Natalie rolled her eyes in response. Alright, so maybe Dan wasn’t as awful as he used to be - and not nearly as bad to look at, if she was truly being honest - but he was still Dan and she was still herself, so harmless banter back and forth was a given.

“Nellie’s looking for you, though I can’t imagine why,” she said scanning him up and down. “From where I’m standing, there’s not much to see.”  

“Maybe you should change your point of view then,” he retorted.

“Touché,” she acknowledged. “Someone’s gotten a bit feisty.”

“Someone’s still feisty.”

Natalie sniffed. “I like to keep my tongue as sharp as my claws. Anybody with a brain knows that.” She looked at him with mock pity. “But then again . . . where did your’s run off to this time? It’s so hard to keep track these days.”

Dan rolled his eyes dramatically. “Well, this was enlightening. Bye, Natalie, I’m going to go find my f - ” He stopped himself suddenly.

Natalie narrowed her eyes in suspicion. “Do go on, this is just getting interesting.”

“Girlfriend,” Dan quickly said. “I’m going to go find my girlfriend.”

“Daniel, you do realize that you cannot actually date imaginary people - ”

“She’s real, Nat,” Dan growled.

“Oh, really?” Natalie challenged.

“Yes, you devil incarnate,” Dan huffed. “Her name’s Veronica.”

And at the sound of that name, Natalie felt a chill creep up her spine. She briefly considered throwing up, right then and there. But then again, she was a lady, and a British one at that, and proper women of high stature did not make a scene, that was a rule she lived by.

It’s only a coincidence, she thought, attempting to calm down her racing pulse.

“Hey,” Dan’s voice called, actually sounding mildly concerned for her wellbeing. “Are you okay? You look kind of pale.”

Natalie straightened up right away at his comment. It’s only a coincidence. “I’m fine, I just . . .” She cleared her throat. “This was delightful, but I sadly, I have to go. You know, things to do, people to see . . .”

“Okay,” Dan responded, suspicion thoroughly laced in his voice. “Well, bye then.”

“Yes, farewell,” Natalie called as she rushed away from the incredibly confused Cahill man.

I have nothing to worry about, she thought. Veronica is a very common name.

Right?

SO MANY REVEALS! SO MANY SECRETS! Thoughts on Aries? What about Dan and Natalie? What about Natalie and Veronica? What happened there? Stay tuned faithful readers, the next chapter is going to be up on Friday, and it brings our love birds to a whole other level.

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

BUMP!!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Ooh very exciting, I can't stand it, I need to know what happens!!! That was a great chapter. I love it Vanessa! Can't wait until Friday!

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: Thank you, I'm very excited for you to read it!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

agentclue77

OOOOOOOOOOO great story!

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Something to believe in for even a night

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Lucy: Thank you, I'm glad you like it! :)

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Vanessa, I can't wait for today's chapter, it is Friday, right?

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

It's that time again! TBH, I'm so sorry about this chapter, it was a bit rushed, I've just had a crazy week with school prep with very little writing time in between. But here it is! Let me know how y'all like it!

Chapter 8: Guys and Dolls

“You realize that our mistrust of the future makes it hard to give up the past.” - Chuck Palahniuk

“She said that?” Nellie yelled, her brown eyes widening with outrage. “Oh my god, that bi - ”

“Nellie!”

“ - ig nincompoop!” Nellie finished. She looked at Amy with an amused expression. “What? What did you think I was going to say?”

Amy laughed. Her former au pair’s humor was just the medicine she needed to take her mind off of the presently occurring and also one of the most disastrous evenings of her life. She frowned slightly. Still, it could only do so much.

Aries was . . . well, problematic, at best. Problematic - and not evil - because Amy didn’t really think that the blonde had any malicious intent to brashly and publically offend others. Heck, Amy even wondered if she was even aware of how hurtful and rude her comments were. She had no doubt that the statuesque woman did that to several people in her life, however harmless she intended her criticism and assumptions to be. Amy even felt a little bad for the girl who presented obvious symptoms of general cluelessness and word vomit, but she didn’t allow herself to feel too poorly though. A seemingly highbred, beautiful adult woman like her should know better. Ignorance may be bliss, but willful ignorance is just stupidity.

Just then, Amy spotted Natalie hurrying to the beverage table where she and Nellie had taken up residence. “Hey Nat - whoa, are you okay?”

The young, pale Kabra woman ignored Amy’s question, and shakily reached for the first drink she saw and downed it in one gulp. Amy’s eyes doubled their size.

“Um, I don’t think that’s water - ” Nellie started, but Natalie just waved her off.

“What’s going on?” Amy asked worriedly. She hadn’t seen Natalie this distressed in a very long time, which was a cause for concern in its own right.

“It’s nothing, everything’s fine, I’m fine, just peachy,” Natalie rambled, attempting to reassure the women, but failing miserably. “I just . . . I think I might be getting sick or something.”

Amy and Nellie exchanged a dubious glance. It was obvious that Natalie was lying, and though Amy was dying to know what it was that had the fearless female so shook, she knew that now was not the time for an interrogation. Perhaps later, when they weren’t surrounded by eavesdroppers and and curious bystanders.

“But how are you though?” Natalie said, changing the subject briskly. “That was rough, I’m so sorry.”

Amy chuckled. “Don’t worry about it, it only stung for a second.”

“Well, you took it like a champ,” Natalie congratulated.

“Unlike you!” Amy exclaimed. “You looked like you were going to vaporize Aries when she made that comment about your skin!”

“I would pay good money to see that,” Nellie added.

Natalie took a sip of her drink. “I’ve been planning her murder for ages, but Ian won’t let me go through with it. God knows why, he hates the woman.” Amy cleared her throat uncomfortably. “Speaking of my dear, demented brother . . . ”

Amy shut her eyes in dread. If given the chance, she would have gladly recited all of her most embarrassing moments to CNN rather than gossip about Ian Kabra’s role in the evening’s shenanigans with her small group of girl friends.    

Finally, she allowed herself to say something. “His tastes have certainly changed.”

“Well, the bar was set pretty high,” Natalie commented. “And no girl could exceed the impossible standards you imposed on his love life.”

Amy swallowed painfully, a memory popping into her head that could prove Natalie otherwise. If only that were true.   

She caught the watchful eye of Nellie, who threw a compassionate glance in her direction. The older woman was the only one who knew what Amy was going through at that moment. After all, she was there to witness her meltdown after it all fell apart, and therefore was the only one that understood the precariousness of Amy’s secret dilemma, and the reason as to why it was a secret.

Amy hated herself for it. She hated herself for the people she had almost hurt, for the people she had hurt, and for the ones who didn’t even know that she had hurt them. She hated herself for her stupid emotions, and she despised herself for the aftermath she cunningly deserted. But most of all, she hated herself for believing that her blind recklessness could be possible, even for a minute.

“Amy?” Natalie said, calling her back from her reverie.

That’s when it hit her that she hadn’t given a proper reply yet. “I - ”

Ding, ding, ding!

Saved by the bell.

“Dinner is served,” announced the butler, and Amy swore that she hadn’t heard such good news in a very long time.

***

Thump, thump.

Amy sighed dramatically as she made herself look up from her delicious food, only to find her brother struggling to work a microphone in front of oh, three hundred or so people. She would have burst out laughing at the vision of Dan Cahill tripping over an aux cord if her mouth wasn’t so completely stuffed.

“Oh, Daniel,” Natalie commented wryly while going back to her salad. “Is there anything he can’t do except literally everything?”

Nellie snickered at her comment, and even Amy allowed herself to let out a guilty chortle at the girl’s remark. Finally, her little brother managed to get the hang of it, and cleared his throat in order to gain the room’s attention . . . even though everyone’s eyes were already on him.

“Uh, yeah, um, sorry about that! Technical difficulties.” He paused, unsure of what to say next. Amy threw him an encouraging smile. This was his big moment, and however many her doubts were, she needed Dan to know that she would always be behind him. He returned her smile hesitantly. “So, something remarkable happened a couple of days ago, and for once, it had nothing to do with building a whole fictional world and making billions off of it.”

Natalie rolled her eyes. “Bragging, of course. Stay classy, Daniel.”  

Amy shushed her.

“Actually, it has a little bit more to do with building a new life, in a real world. Our world. And when someone decides to start over, and grow up, they usually come to realize that it is best to start over with somebody else. Somebody who is cute, fun, smart, and who gives them hope when all hope is lost. Somebody who makes them happy.”

Amy was intent to believe it was a coincidence that her eyes found Ian’s amber ones at that moment. She looked away, trying to pretend that their shared gaze didn’t happen.

“Is this going where I think it’s going?” Nellie whispered, hanging on to Dan’s every word.

“Oh my god, pigs can fly,” Natalie said, looking dumbstruck. Amy smirked.

“With that mushy gushy nonsense, it is my greatest pleasure to announce my engagement -  ” Loud whispers began to erupt. “ - to a most brilliant and wonderful woman. Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to introduce you to my fiancé, Veronica O’Malley.”

Cheers, catcalls, and applause rang out as the smiling, beautiful, chestnut-haired woman made her way over to Dan and planted a chaste kiss on his lips.

But among the celebratory clinking of glasses, Amy noticed that there were two people in the room who did not seem at all happy with this sudden development. In fact, Ian and Natalie Kabra looked nothing short of ashen.

It was then that Natalie got up from her seat abruptly, almost knocking her chair down in the process. “Excuse me, I seem to have forgotten - ”

Amy had enough.

“Natalie, what is going on?” she pressed, tired of the games now. Something was seriously wrong, and Amy was left with the impression that it might have had something to do with Dan’s announcement.

“Yeah, kiddo, I don’t like this. You gotta spill, so we can at least try to help you,” Nellie said, backing Amy up. The woman also wore a puzzled and concerned expression on her face, but Natalie was having none of it.

“N-nothing is wrong,” the brunette shakily responded. “I’m just going to go to the bathroom really quickly, alright?” With that, she rapidly left the table, looking as if she were close to tears.

Nellie shook her head and sighed. “This gives me all sorts of weird juju.”

Amy couldn’t agree more. As she watched her friend go, she remembered the last time she saw her in such a state. It had been years, and the situation back then was as serious as the plague. To get such a reaction out of Natalie, her current predicament had to be as bad as that unfortunate incident . . . maybe even worse.  Amy narrowed her eyes when the woman in question passed Ian’s seat. The man grabbed his sister’s wrist and said something Amy couldn’t quite make out. She watched with great interest as Natalie angrily wrestled her hand away from his grasp, and stomped off despite the eldest Kabra’s calls of her name. If her eyes were to be trusted, Ian looked . . . troubled. Maybe even a bit frightened, too.

Amy frowned. She wasn’t usually the type to stick her nose into other people’s business, but this called for some serious interference.

I am going to get to the bottom of this, so help me god.

***    

Ian glared viciously at Veronica O’Malley, hoping to burn holes into her vile little head.

He couldn’t believe his luck. First, Amy Cahill practically runs over him, and it goes just as well as one could expect, with his lovely date making things oh-so-much better. Not. And then, just to put a cherry on top of that fantastic cake, his friend, the one and only Dan Cahill, announces that he is to be married to the world’s most deceiving and all round horrible living being. One who had single handedly attempted to ruin his sister’s life, cost him a small fortune in legal bills, and nearly tore apart his family’s rebuilt good reputation.

And after all that . . . evilness, one would think karma would do something about that. But no, her big punishment was marrying into one of the most powerful and influential families on the planet. Life really wasn’t fair.

“Hi, everybody!” Veronica said, smiling brightly. Ian just scowled and went back to stabbing his steak, imagining it was the bride-to-be. “May I just say that I am so honored and excited to have you here, and for those on Dan’s side of the family, if I haven’t met you yet, I cannot wait to do so. After all, we’ll be spending a lot more time together in the next couple of years!”

Oh yeah, I really cannot wait to see you at those family reunions, V, Ian thought to himself sarcastically. Why, I’m practically jumping up and down with joy!

He rolled his eyes. Could Dan’s tastes get any worse?

“Before I let you get back to your dinners and conversations, I wanted to let my maid-of-honor, Amy, and Dan’s best man, Atticus, quickly announce the bridesmaid and groomsmen arrangements. I know it’s all happening so fast, so you don’t have to give us an official answer tonight, but please think about it! It would mean a whole lot to the both of us to have you there to help us prepare for our big day.”

The better Rosenbloom brother - in Ian’s opinion - stepped forward to the sound of polite applause, and took the mic from Veronica. “Hey everyone, I’m Atticus, for those who don’t know. I don’t really have a speech prepared, but um . . . ” He looked at the happy couple. “Congrats to you guys, I’m really glad that you chose me to be there for you on your road to blissful matrimony.” There was some faint laughter. “Tonight, I will be announcing the ladies of Veronica’s fabulous court. When announced, please step up by me, and everyone, give them a nice round of applause. Without further ado, let’s give a warm welcome to to Ashley Farwell, Emma Stafford, Keira Martinez, and Nellie Maslow!”

The ladies made their way towards Atticus and lined themselves up in order to be in full view. Ian didn’t recognize any of them, except of course, the married former au pair. Nellie looked particularly happy to be chosen, and she kept throwing Dan cheeky winks and smiles. Ian smirked slightly. Too bad she didn’t know what her former ward was about to get himself into.

“Now, to announce the groomsmen, please welcome the maid-of-honor, Miss Amy Cahill!”

Though Ian hated himself for it, he sat up a bit straighter in his seat. Amy glided up to the front, gave Atticus a short but tight hug, and took a piece of paper - probably the list of bridesmaids and groomsmen - from his hand. For once, Ian was very glad that Aries was off chatting up some old millionaire with a heart defect at the next table, otherwise, she might have noticed his sudden interest in wedding planning, and made some sort of loud and inappropriate comment about it. It seemed like God was on his side this time.

Ian noticed how Amy frowned when she glanced at the paper, and he wondered what that was about. But then, as if she flipped a switch, she was back to smiling.

“Uh, hi guys, it’s great to see you all, new faces and old,” she said, scanning the crowds. She turned to her sibling. “To my dear brother Dan, I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you, and happy that your life is turning out just the way you wanted it to. You have grown into an impeccable human being, and I cannot wait for you to further your growth with someone you love - my future sister, Veronica. You two really are a match made in heaven.”

There was collective awwing through the masses of people at Amy’s sweet sentimentality. Even Ian couldn’t help but melt a little at her words. Even after everything that happened to her, she never changed, never lost that general sweetness that made her so wonderfully her. He admired that optimistic air she had about her - it was incredibly refreshing.

“Well, excuse my over dramatic self, but I think it’s time to announce our groomsmen. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Hamilton Holt, Jonah Wizard, Abe Donoghue, and um, Ian Kabra.”

His eyes snapped up to meet a pair of equally confused and uncertain jade orbs. Ian gulped as he stood up, and made his way towards the front, never once breaking his staring contest with Amy.

The applause was ringing in his ears, and he dutifully squeezed out the fakest smile he could manage. But as his stomach filled up with dread, he looked at the girl he once dared to love and knew that everything was about to change.

Amy and Ian, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G . . . First comes utter hatred, then comes a bit of acceptance, and then there's - 

Okay, there's too many steps. Well, I hope you guys liked this chapter! I definitely had a little trouble with it. Sorry for the late in the day post, my internet was out. :/ Please, please, PLEASE comment and like, I love hearing from you! Next update on Tuesday!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

That chapter was full of so much drama, I loved it, It left so many questions in my head, why do the kabras hate Veronica?, Why did Ian have Aries be his date?, Will Ian and amy become Amian once again?, and what will happen next? i can't wait for tuesday! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! I can't wait! *jumps up and down and starts screaming*

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: I am so glad that you are enjoying this! Again, so sorry for the delay, no internet - it sucked. :( But all your questions will be answered in due time. In fact, I think next week's chapter might shed some light on a few things. But . . . will it leave you with more questions than answers? AHHHH I'M SO EXCITED!!! Thank you for all your lovely reviews, my friend!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

@Vannessa :)  I can't wait! I have next week only left before school starts and then I will start reading 2 chapters every saturday. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!!!! can't wait! *jumps up and down again*

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: XD! I'm so glad that you'll continue reading this fic! Thank you so much for all your reviews they've been so encouraging!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

@vannessa :)

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Good morning, everyone! I know I usually do the intro in the same post as the chapter, however, the next chapter is so long, I don't know if I'll have enough room! So, with that said, I'd just like to say that the next chapter has been my favorite to write so far, and is also partially inspired by some events in my life. May I recommend some soundtrack choices while you read? "Another Love" by Tom Odell for the first part, or "Dumbledore's Farewell" by Nicholas Hooper, if you're more of an instrumental type, "We Keep In Touch, Okay? by Ralf Wengenmayer for the second part, "Sunday Candy" by Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment for the third part (definitely give this a listen before you read the third part), and "Can't Pretend" by Tom Odell for the fourth part. Have fun, my friends, and I hope you enjoy the next chapter! Make sure to like and review, and tell me all your thoughts!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Um, mods? Where is my chapter?

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

I don't understand . . .

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

where is the chapter?

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Mods: Um, yeah, thanks, but where is part one? If there's something wrong with it, just tell me, and I'll fix it.

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: I literally have no idea and I'm about to cry. I've been trying to post it three time now, I even cut it up into two because I was like, "Maybe they think it's too long . . . ", but the mods haven't posted it yet, and I do not understand cause there is literally no bad word there, it's age appropriate, I just don't get it, and it's making me sad, cause I literally slaved over that chapter, and I love it so much. 

Sorry about my rant, I just really have to get in contact with the mods, cause I don't know what is wrong. I'll update you when they respond!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

It is fine vannessa, I'll wait

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Vannessa, I just read the chapter and it sounds whole to me, I love the chapter though, so good, it tells what happened between Ian and Amy! I can't wait for next chapter or the rest of the chapter, whichever it is.

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal

a daughter of Athena

a user of the mist

a daughter of Thor

a princess

a spy

a READER

Front sm

livelyfire22

Omg, I love it your so , stinking good! It's awesome man! 

Btw, yes, ham is gay. (Sry if that goes against anyone's religion) but they asked so....

like I said, it's stinking awesome!  

~Sally 

• Posted at:

Sally

HAMMOCFLAVORED DRINK FAMILY

I have loved you all for years, and I will never stop.

My friends, my family, stay awesome.

#fluffeh

#rememberthelost

*you know you're missed when

someone puts you in their sig*

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Sally: Thank you for the encouragement! I'm glad that you like everything so far. :)

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: Thank you! I'm still upset with the mods to be honest for not posting the first part (especially since it had nothing wrong with it), but I'm gonna try to rewrite it, and see if it goes through tomorrow or the day after. However, I am kind of planning to move this story over to another website in a couple of months (maybe even sooner) so I could start writing without having to worry about censorship. I do want to finish it on the MB, since this is where it started, but I am thinking of putting an unabridged version out there too. 

Thank you for your continuous support, it means the world!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Chapter 9; Part 1: You, Me, and Our Baggage

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” - Søren Kierkegaard

~

Eleven Years Prior

~

She couldn’t even remember a day when she was this hysterical about anything, however horrible it was, and maybe that was the problem. Grief demanded an outlet, but when one suppresses it for such a long time, it’s bound to come out at the most inconvenient hour.

She just couldn’t believe that it was her best friend’s trial that finally broke her.

“Sinead Starling, you are charged with being an accessory to the murders of Erasmus Yilmaz, Alastair Oh, Evan Tolliver, and Isabel Kabra, the attempted murder of Natalie Kabra, multiple counts of kidnapping of adults and minors, theft, conspiracy, fraud, obstruction of justice, frame up, assault, cyber terrorism, treason . . . ”

She threw up again, letting out a choked sob in the process. How could she have allowed for this to happen? She was supposed to be an example, a leader, somebody people looked up to for guidance. But no, she just had to be reckless and immature, and prove all those that doubted her right - she just wasn’t good enough, and wasn’t ready for such responsibility. After all, look what happened under her reign so far - an innocent that loved her got brutally killed after she pretty much cheated on him, her friends and family were taken hostage - four of which were under the age of eighteen, a talented young scientist was being escorted out of the country by US Marshals to lifelong isolation on a deserted island, and the people that helped her probably now have many deep rooted emotional issues that they will spend the rest of their lives battling to overcome.

Some great leader she turned out to be. Grace would be so proud.

Bang, bang, bang!

“Amy, please, please let us in!” her brother yelled on the other side of the bathroom door.

She just cried harder and louder. They probably blamed themselves for not seeing the signs of her imminent breakdown earlier, and only being suspicious after noticing that she had been in the bathroom for about an hour. Now it was too late, and they were locked out, and she was clearly off her rocker. It was not a good combination.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed herself away from the toilet, and clawed her way to the sink. She heard her new boyfriend begging and bargaining with her to let him in. She wondered, would he end up just like the old one? The thought almost made her laugh. This was crazy.

No matter, she needed to straighten up, get it together . . . That plan went out the window when one look in the mirror made her wails intensify tenfold. She looked like those monsters parents warned their children about with her sunken eyes, pale face, and overall frail yet slightly insane disposition.

A monster.

That’s what his parents called her. Well, what’s inside comes out eventually, so she guessed that they were right.

“AMELIA, OPEN THE DOOR!” roared a familiar British voice. Poor, poor Ian. After all that time, and they were still on opposite ends with something standing in between them. It was almost poetic, really.

She sunk down to the floor and buried her head in her knees. I’m not cut out for this, she thought, hiccups erupting from her small, shaking body as she sobbed. Sad, but true. The crown was too heavy to rest on her head alone, and soon enough she was going to be crushed by the mountains of burdens placed upon her shoulders.

Bang!

She didn’t look up as someone kicked down the door.

“Amy,” she heard Ian say quietly as he tentatively moved towards her. She wanted to tell him to go away, for all of them to just leave her alone, but no word could be compelled to come out of her mouth.

He seemed to understand her predicament, and she heard him sit down in front of her.

After an eternity of a pause, she heard him say, “I know you feel like you’re drowning, but if you just extend me your hand, I promise I will pull you back up.”

She gulped. Call her sentimental, or a fool, or even a sucker for good phrasing, but it was that declaration that finally made her look up and acknowledge her surroundings.

Dan had his head in his hands, while Nellie stroked his sandy blonde hair, trying not to cry. Natalie was crying, which shocked her beyond words, and Jonah, Hamilton, and Phoenix were huddled together, drawing upon each other for comfort. Atticus looked uncomfortable, as he, Reagan, and Madison all had traces of pity laced in their eyes, and Jake leaned against a wall, a mix of concern, confusion, and helplessness present on his handsome face. Fiske looked tired, like he’d seen that scene before, and like he knew he would see it again.

And Ian . . . Ian looked determined, though she had no idea why. Her eyes filled with tears, as she softly shook her head and whispered, “I can’t anymore, Ian.”

Just by looking into his eyes, she could see that he was thinking the exact same thing. If she kept going down the path she was currently on, she wouldn’t last the next time around. She wasn’t like him, her Pandora’s box just refused to stay shut. But Ian Kabra’s demons didn’t surprise him out of the blue, he was too good for that. He was smart, brave, resourceful, and most of all, prepared. He kept himself in check, and never let his emotions run his life. Ian was a good leader. A better leader, really.

Just extend me your hand . . .

All she had to do was ask.

He looked down at their entwined fingers, and let out a sad smile. “I’ll help you.”

A small squeeze grazed her fingertips. “I will help you.”

And with that, Ian Kabra sold his soul to the devil, and became a Madrigal leader.

~

Nine Years Prior

~

While she couldn’t wait to start over in a big city like New York with Jake, there was something so uniquely upsetting about leaving one’s childhood home. Well, maybe not upsetting, exactly, melancholy might be the right word. Because while starting over meant a new beginning, undamaged by the labors of the past, it also meant letting go of the said past, and that was no easy feat.

She laughed as Dan failed to do a cartwheel over her suitcase in order to “baptize the precious cargo”, and nearly keeled over when Natalie, Reagan, Madison, and Nellie all yelled at him to cut it out, and that he was ruining “precious memories”.

To her, there was no possible way today’s memories could ever be ruined. They were perfectly imperfect, just like her family and friends, and that’s just the way she liked them.

“Whoa!” Ian yelled, almost crashing down on the grass with her mini fridge in tow. She hurried over to him to give a helping hand. “Bloody hell, can’t you buy this stuff there?”

“Why waste the money? I already have it,” she replied.

He rolled his eyes. “Americans.”

“Rich people.”

“You’re also part of the one percent!”

“Just barely!”

Ian laughed. “Only you can think that’s an insult.”

She stuck her tongue out at him playfully, and he gladly returned the gesture. The two leaned back against the car after loading the heavy item into the back. “So, how is college going to work with our ‘duties’?” he asked.

She sighed. It was going to be a difficult balancing act, that was a guarantee, but she was determined to make it possible. This was her one shot and normalcy and she wasn’t going to throw it away. “Well, I guess we’ll have to split up the work half and half, like always, and try to make the best of it. It’s been kind of quiet lately, so I hope that there won’t be too much we would have to change in our routine.” She paused. “It’s been good these last couple of years.” Thank you for making it that way, was the obvious undertone of her message. She knew she wouldn’t have survived if she hadn’t shared her rule of the Cahill clan with Ian. Two heads really were better than one, and sharing the burden might have possibly saved her life.

“It’s been good,” he agreed, smiling slightly. He turned his head to her and examined her with a look she couldn’t really comprehend. “You’re going to have a great time at NYU, you know.”

She felt something warm stir at the pit of her stomach. “And you at Oxford. All those English girls at your beck and call . . . ”

“Jealous?” he teased.

“Incredibly.”

He just kept looking at her with those hypnotizing orbs of his. “Amy?”

“Yeah?”

“I’ll miss you.”

She swallowed nervously. “I-I’ll miss you, too, Ian.”

She felt the palms of their hands slowly connect, drawn each to each other as if they were magnets. Despite herself, her heart did a little flip at his gentle touch. She knew that she should have broken their subtle contact, but looking up at his handsome face that was looking down so intensely at her . . . well, she just couldn’t find a single reason to pull away.

Beep! Beep!

“Amy, Jake’s here! Are you ready to leave?”

Reason number one.

She swallowed. “We’ll keep in touch, okay?”

Ian nodded. “Okay.”

Okay.  

And then she was off.

Okay, so here is the edited, rewritten version of the chapter. I hope it goes through!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Chapter 9; Part 2: You, Me, and Our Baggage

"The past can't hurt you anymore, not unless you let it." - Alan Moore

~

Six Years Prior

~

“Okay, so explain to me what sane eighteen-year-old cannot drive himself over to the grocery store to get ice cream near the end of a most freezing December, and instead settles on threats, bribery, and temper tantrums for us to go and do it for him?”

She shrugged in response. “Well, Dan’s argument was that you have a nicer car.”

Ian scoffed. “Exactly! This darling’s worth a fortune, and the weather report says that it’s going to hail!” He pouted, attempting to sway her by acting childishly himself.

But she just laughed merrily, and pushed him behind the wheel lightly. “Oh, stop being so dramatic, I know you’re just dying to catch up with me.”

He smirked. “Sure of ourselves, are we?”

“Positive, actually,” she replied with a smile, sliding into the passenger seat.

He laughed, a sound that made her grin widen. “Alright, alright, you got me. But first - ” He whipped out his phone and started scrolling through the images on the screen rapidly. “Frank Ocean or Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment?”

She looked at him in surprise. Seems like Ian Kabra’s good taste extended to music as well. “And here I thought you were more of a Beethoven kind of guy.”

He rolled his eyes at her dig at him. “Sunday Candy it is then.”

She had heard the song before, but never truly appreciated it’s artistic arrangement until the day Ian Kabra sang it to her.

Her jaw fell on the floor and she felt as if she was seeing her co-leader for the first time. And my, my, what a sight for sore eyes he was.

“She can say in her voice, in her way that she love me,” he sang, throwing her a wink when saying the last part.

She blushed. “Ian!”

“With her eyes, with her smile, with her hands, with her money,” he continued. “I am the thesis of her prayers, her nieces and her nephews are just pieces of the layers, only ones she love as much as me are Jesus Christ and Taylor . . . I got a feature, so I’m singing for my grandma - okay, join me on this part!”

She laughed, covering her mouth slightly. “You singing too,” they yelled. “BUT YOUR GRANDMA AIN’T MY GRANDMA!”

She watched with great amusement as Ian went on freely belting out words about “his grandma” and her superiority. Her smile widened at the content and pure bliss so obviously present in his eyes, and she found herself fiercely hoping that he would show this side of himself more often in the future.

“You gotta move it slowly, hold my body like it’s holy,” he grabbed her hand and grinned at her. “I’ve been waiting for you for the whole week, I’ve been praying for you, you’re my Sunday candy.”

“You gotta move slowly,” she joined in. “Hold my body like it’s holy . . . I’ve been waiting for you for this whole week, I’ve been praying for you, you’re my Sunday candy.”

God, she loved winter break.

~

Five Years Prior

~

She really shouldn’t have expected anything else from him, but when it all came down to it, it was her fault in the end. After all, she was the one who managed to read all the signs wrong. Correction - she paid attention to the signs, which was her first and worst mistake.

Now all she was left with was smudged mascara and a broken heart. Again.

Of course she wasn’t the one! How could she have even allowed herself to hope for more when she already had everything she wanted? It was probably just her incessant need for attention that drove her to this. Yeah, that was definitely it. She and Jake were having a bit of a rough time, after all, and Ian’s surprise semester abroad in New York just threw her off guard, and allowed her mind to wander to perilous “what if” territory.

“What if” he came for her?

“What if” he cared for her?

“What if” he loved her?

She remembered the last time she went down that road well enough. Somebody ended up dead, so maybe it was best that Ian didn’t reciprocate her feelings.

She cringed as she thought back to what she was about to do.

“Meet me in the garden at nine,” she said, with a shy smile. “I have something I need to tell you.”

Well, he sure met somebody in the garden, but it wasn’t her.

She quickened her pace towards the mansion, wiping away a stray tear.

How could have she been so stupid! What was it that he had said on one of their last walks together around Central Park?

“There is this one girl that caught my eye a while ago, still can’t get her out of my head.”

And she thought he was talking about her, that this was his subtle way of confirming all of her suspicions. How self-centered was that? Why was she unable to put two and two together, pick up on years worth of hints, and shared looks, and not-so-accidental touching? It was so obvious, for god’s sake, the woman came as his date, after all! So, it shouldn’t have come as a shock to find the two mid-makeout five minutes before she was supposed to meet him. Thank god that he didn’t see her, she didn’t think that she would have been able to handle humiliation on top of disappointment.

“Hey kiddo, I was just looking for you - hey, are you okay, sweetie?”

Nellie. She hastily wiped at her tearstained cheeks, but the bride’s jubilant expression was quickly transforming into one of great concern.

“Hey!” she said, trying to sound happy and hoping that her sniffling wouldn’t give her away. “Sorry, I was just - just walking around, getting some fresh air - it really is a beautiful wedding, I love what you and Andrew did with the place, everything is just so perfect - ”

“Hon - ”

“But, um, I actually have to go. Yeah, I re-scheduled my flight, I’m actually going to leave tonight - gotta get back to the city, you know, so many deadlines, plus Jake, I’m so sorry about this - ”

“Amy, stop,” Nellie commanded, shutting her up immediately. “What’s wrong?”

It was like an emotional dam had broke, and she told her friend everything, clutching on to her for support and ugly crying like her life depended on it. She told her about her fights with Jake, and about Ian swooping in at the right time, and about their walks, which turned into lunches, which turned into dinners. She spilled about how nice he was, and funny, and most importantly, there, how he made her feel so special, she couldn’t help but fall harder and harder every day. And then she told her how she was about to leave Jake for him. How she was going to follow her heart this time, just take a chance and see what happens.

But then she found him in the arms of a certain familiar blonde and that plan turned to dust.  

“Oh, Amy,” Nellie said as she hugged the crying girl close.

She sniffed. “You can’t tell anybody about this, Nell. I feel so guilty for what I almost did to Jake, you have no idea - ”

“But you didn’t do anything, you didn’t cheat - ”

“I know, but I feel like I . . . emotionally cheated, if you get what I mean. Just, please, don’t tell anybody, I just wanna put this mess behind me.”

Nellie sighed, and gave her one last hug. “Call me, girlie, I’m here if you need me.”

So, that night she boarded a plane, and went back home. She gave her sleeping boyfriend a kiss on the head, and the next morning, she wrote her long overdue resignation from leadership and a declaration of inactivity as a Cahill agent.

***

Gasp!

Amy sat up suddenly in her bed, manically rubbing her eyes forcefully awake. She quickly glanced down at her alarm clock. Five o’clock. Taking a deep, shuddering breath, she forced herself to relax and to dispel the tears threatening to make their way down her cheeks. She was in her room, she was safe, and it was just a dream, probably just triggered by the complete familiarity of her tiring evening.

She hastily wiped at her eyes. No, it was more than that. It was a nightmare, and once upon a time, she had to live through it.

Amy groaned, knowing that there was no way she would be falling back to sleep now.

Well, I guess a morning jog could always do me some good, she thought to herself. Maybe it would clear up her head, and help her forget all those traitorous memories she had just relived.      

One could hope, couldn't they?

Sorry for reposting this again, I just wanted the chapters to be in order. Disclaimer: I do NOT own the song (no matter how much I wish I did), but some lyrics have been changed for the sake of cleanliness. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, again, I am so sorry for the drama around posting it. Anyway, keep a lookout for the next chapter on Friday, where we return to the present with some of our favorite characters. Love you all, stay awesome!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

jadecat1391

Hey girl!

I read all the chapters and they are SO GOOD! A good way to have it go through is to have your parents read it. If they think it's fine, the admins will too. Also, Can you make a good epic reveal chapter soon? No offense, but you've been sort of vague with Ian and Amy. Otherwise, this is great! I have my own story going on, called "Gifted". Please check it out!

Love ya! 

~ Catte

• Posted at:

CATTE

AKA:

The pun master (more than you, LUCINA)

The cat lady

The undertale fangirl

Depressed

Atheist

BISEXUAL

KITTIIIIIIEEEEESSS

Sci-fi

Oreos

Alphdyne

- crisis

會 - opportunity 

They are one in the same. We are the future. We are leaders.

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Catte: Hey, thanks for the commentary! I had my parents read the chapter, and they thought nothing was wrong with it, but that is behind me now, since I've rewritten that part, and made it a little bit . . . lighter.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, however, I can't and won't speed up the story. It's a slowburn, and I believe that all good romances and dramas need to take their time and not rush to the main event - a pinnacle of a good story is the cherry on top of the cake, NOT the cake itself. You have to have a strong foundation first before you add any flourishes, and my aim is to make Ian and Amy's relationship a realistic one that people can relate to. Plus, right now we are only at the beginning, so there's no need to clear anything up (tip I learned from my writing instructor: having your readers at the edge of their seats is exactly where you want them to be), all will be revealed in time, and all loose ends will be tied up in the end. Plus, this isn't JUST a story about Amy and Ian, and we are going to see a lot more plot lines develop in the future. Don't worry, there will be plenty of drama to come, I can promise you that. 

Thanks again for reading, and I will make sure to check out your story today! Love ya, stay fabulous!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

you finally got the 1st part of the chapter to send! Yay! Yippy!

• Posted at:

Hi, I'm Shadia!

#Iluvtoread

#Shadiaisamamazing

#IamfromLibya

#proudmuslim

#proudtobeME!

I'm also

a cahill

an ekat

a madrigal