Front sm

agentclue77

Branch: Ekaterina

*Takes a deep breath* Okay, this is an insanely unpopular opinion: I don't like YA very much.

I like some of it, such as THE HUNGER GAMES or DIVERGENT or THE MAZE RUNNER, but a lot of it irritates me.

One of the main things is the love triangles. Oh the love triangles, I. CAN'T. STAND. LOVE. TRIANGLES.

I think maybe that's why once the Katniss love triangle got introduced I guess I just lost interest?

/_____\

Peeta    Gale

Same thing with the Thomas love triangle.

/______\

Brenda    Teresa

Thank goodness that DIVERGENT doesn't have one.

Anyway, then it's the world building.

YA novels have gotten really lazy with their world building. It's really paper world like (do not hit me with the Well it is on paper because that's just a dumb comeback.

And last but most definitely not least the characters.

YA main characters that are narrating are normally whiners. (Katniss and Tris aren't examples of this.) And then the boy love interests (whether they end up with them or not) are a lot of times bad boys with sad pasts. (Yes, I know there are some out there that aren't.)

I was questioning whether or not I was losing my love of reading. And then, I found the middle grade genre.

The middle grade genre is that one middle that isn't MICKEY LOSES HIS GLOVE, but isn't THE HUNGER GAMES either.

My top 5 favorite books came from that section.

There are (usually) no love triangles in these *glares at CAHILL'S VS. VESPERS*.

The world building in most of these is amazing, and the characters in them rarely cease to amaze me. But, no one ever pays attention to them, just categorizing them as little kid books.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Something to believe in for even a night

Front sm

emeraldcelebration43

Branch: Lucian

I totally agree with you.

• Posted at:

Cassie!!

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

Fangirl, Writer, Bookworm, and History Geek

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is a reality - John Lennon

Front sm

agentclue77

Thank you, Cassie! Every time I try to tell someone this, they always tell me it's just because I'm not in that age yet, and that I'll like it when I'm 16.

I'll be 16 this year...

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

whitetiger1202

Branch: Janus

See, I like love triangles, but agree otherwise!

• Posted at:

➳ Sphinx ➳

Forum Guardian

Recipient of Mickey's Respect.

#Sphinoki (And Prince Sidon too!)

#FreaksLikeMe<3

#MarySuePride

ϟ Vine: Forum Twin ϟ

Check out my story that I'm writing on the 39CMB! /263177

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

I don't like love triangles or mushy romance. The person (also Sarah) in our library who orders kids/MG/YA books also buys mostly dark books for YA and that genre is NOT my favorite! So, I asked for her help and she steered me to the middle grade books. I have a lot that I like - even though I'll be 16 this year as well.

So, what are the rest of your top five favorites?

Other than the original 39C series, I like the City of Ember series, the Mr. Lemoncello's Library series, The Book Scavenger series, and Wild Robot for my top five.

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12

Front sm

agentclue77

George-

They actually are all middle grade...

1) MASTERMINDS by Gordon Korman

2) SPY SCHOOL by Stuart Gibbs

3) STORY THIEVES by James Riley

4) SPACE CASE by Stuart Gibbs

5) THE 39 CLUES (the originals) by Various Authors

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

I LOVE Spy School! And I like Space Case, too. The library system doesn't have the new books for these. Also, one of my very favorite books, which I almost didn't read because the title was weird, is "The War that Saved My Life" by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. Other books that are more on the serious side is Wonder, which I think all kids should have to read, One for the Murphys, I am Regina, and Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine.

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

writerbookworm21

There are a lot of really good middle grade books, which I find disapointing.

Let me explain. When I go to the library, I feel like I get judged for immediately going to the kids section (I'm 15). Then, no one cares about middle school books so I never have anyone to discuss my books with, especially the 39 Clues and no one will take my book suggestions because "they're little kid books" or the high school library won't carry them. I've also have teachers be disappointed in me or get mad at me, because even though I read lot, I don't read at my level (technically I sometimes read over my level too though). It just really bothers me.

I gotta agree with you about YA, somewhat. Sometimes it's enjoyable, other times it just seems like recycled plots and/or characters, which is annoying.

Also, while I also disliked Cahills vs. Vespers, it was for different reasons.  

• Posted at:

Veronica bookworm Titaniac Swiftie

I've had the time of my life fighting dragons with you.

~Long Live (Taylor Swift)

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

I do school online. I still read grade level books for school projects, I'm just careful about what I choose. The kids/MG/YA librarian knows my tastes and helps me find those kind of books. I haven't had too many people look down on me because I read middle grade books. When I do, I just tell them that I'm considering becoming a children's author and that means I have to keep up on the latest books. Then I remind them that librarians (kids/MG/YA) have to read kids books to know what to buy and suggest. Then they think I'm kind of smart, actually!

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

I was just thinking about this the other day. There are YA books that I enjoyed, but in the long run JF is my favorite. They have better world building, more likable characters. A lot of YA is either too dark for my taste, or edgy, or are trying too hard to be poetic. I'm reading a great YA book called Seraphina, which I would recommend (you should in my opinion be at least fifteen to read it). I feel like a lot of YA writers try too hard to be 'cool.' While middle school writers focus on characters and plot. Also so many YA books have horribly written romance with shallow characters. I don't mind love triangles, but usually they're so bad. Also I think that the way middle school books tackle tough issues is great.

Some great JF books I would recommend are (there's so many great ones but I'll try to be diverse in my list):

OCDaniel

Some Kind of Happiness

Behind the Canvas

The Charmed Children of Rookskill Castle

The Keeper of the Lost Cities (there is a love triangle, but also kinda a love square, but it's still great)

The Underland Chronicles

The Books of Beginning

A Series of Unfortunate Events

When You Reach Me

Witherwood Academy

I would also recommend the YA book The Last Cherry Blossom. It gives me hope for the YA genre. Not all YA is bad, just a lot of it. So don't feel ashamed that you don't really like YA. And don't let people make any of you think that you're mentally immature because you prefer the middle grade genre to YA! It just means that you have great taste, and don't need shocking or dark things to happen to be entertained. 

• Posted at:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

~Monica Cahill~                 1 John 4:10 

"Fantasy reveals what reality obscures."

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

Hi Monica,

Surprisingly I haven't heard of most of those books or series. I'm on Amazon all the time looking for books, but I get frustrated when they just recommend the same books over and over again when I'm looking for some thing new. I'll have to check out your suggestions.

I didn't think when I posted before, but I read a lot of children's books along with middle grade. I'm in charge of choosing books for my nieces and nephews (2-11yo) for Christmas and birthdays. I read lots of books to find something I hope they will enjoy. And to make sure that everything inside the books are appropriate. So, if people think I'm weird for borrowing picture books, etc. from the library, that's their problem. My nieces and nephews are worth me checking them out!

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

before many witnesses." 

Front sm

dreamtimeheroine2

aka CatFlying11

@George

Hi! I'm glad that you'll look into them! After submitting my first message I thought that I should add another series to my list short list, which is called "The Secret Series" by Pseudonymous Bosch. 

Goodreads is a great website to find books and book reviews. That's awesome that you help out your nieces and nephews by choosing books for them! I got my brother and sister into reading for fun and it's awesome to think how your interest in reading can spark an interest in reading in someone else's life, which then they spark an interest in reading by reaching out to someone else. 

@Everyone

Have any of you read the YA book series "The Lunar Chronicles"? I'm on the fence about reading (I'm leaning towards yes) it since I've read bad reviews about it. Is it worth it?

• Posted at:

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." ~ C.S. Lewis 

~Monica Cahill~                 1 John 4:10 

"Fantasy reveals what reality obscures."

#ENDSLAVERY

Front sm

agentclue77

Monica-

I agree with you 100%. And thank you, I've been embracing my love for middle grade more! Also, as for LUNAR CRONICLES, I haven't read it, I've read good reviews as well as bad ones...

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

ravenfairy187

Yep. Middle grade is really good. 

Have you tried reading The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas?? It's really good. 

• Posted at:

Lani

I'd Rather Be Me Then Be With You

Also, I miss Newsies(Hannah)

And Mary Poppins(Bird Woman)

And Annie(July)

Front sm

agentclue77

Lani-

No, but I have heard of it, its on my TBR pile!

• Posted at:

Lucy

Mastermind

Wonder

Disnerd

Pegasister

Hunter

Story Thief

Child of Exile

Recruit

Jedi

Avenger

Shadow Child

#FreaksLikeMe

#WeAreFamily

#NeverForgetAnyone

#Keep39Alive

#Greyromantic

#Asexual

Front sm

tsunamininja5

Branch: Tomas

The kind of YA I read is Young Samurai. Nothing else. The kind of YA I write is martial arts action, not the stuff you usually see. Because martial arts action isn't a very large genre, and it needs more writers. (You see martial arts more in movies than in books.)

But to be honest, most of what I read now is nonfiction martial arts stuff.

• Posted at:

- Lahash -

Also known as Samurai

Est. January 2014

Author of the Path of Legends series - coming 2020!

"Fear not in this Time of Chaos, this War of Darkness. For on the horizon, there shines a light, a light brighter than any before . . ."

Front sm

moonlightsunrise37

I'm not allowed to rad ya books until im like 15-16

• Posted at:

The butterfly’s end

is 

the caterpillar’s beginning