Front sm

dogyellow583

Branch: Ekaterina

Lol, anyone have any opinions on this? Something I've been thinking about lately.

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Christy ~  currently trying to figure out what’s wrong with me 

Front sm

whitetiger1202

Branch: Janus

Pros: If your work is torn apart, then you don't have to worry about having a bad rep.

Con: No one will know it's you.

I personally use a pen name, because it's easier for me, but it's not for everyone. There's a few websites about the pros and cons, I'd check them out.

• Posted at:

➳ Sphinx ➳

Forum Guardian

Recipient of Mickey's Respect.

#Sphinoki (And Prince Sidon too!)

#FreaksLikeMe<3

#MarySuePride

ϟ Vine: Forum Twin ϟ

Check out my story that I'm writing on the 39CMB! /263177

Front sm

dogyellow583

Also: I've written a book and my parents want a professional editor to look at it. I feel like the work isn't good enough to waste the time and or money on... Is that just me being too hard on myself, or should I pay attention to those feelings?

• Posted at:

Front sm

whitetiger1202

Branch: Janus

Well, I can't tell you how to live life, but if you personally don't feel it's good enough, then I wouldn't publish. It could just be your feelings, but it could also be your subconscious trying to tell you something.

That's just me though. I've published a few books myself. I wasn't super comfortable with it at first, mainly because I have an inferority complex, but I did it.

• Posted at:

➳ Sphinx ➳

Forum Guardian

Recipient of Mickey's Respect.

#Sphinoki (And Prince Sidon too!)

#FreaksLikeMe<3

#MarySuePride

ϟ Vine: Forum Twin ϟ

Check out my story that I'm writing on the 39CMB! /263177

Front sm

rainbowkitten175

Branch: Lucian

You should ask someone to read it that's close to you, but will tell you the truth for sure. If they, and your parents think it's good, you should feel proud of yourself for writing it!

• Posted at:

~Oreo~

The 39 Clues/Spirit Animals/Wings of Fire/Percy Jackson /Magnus Chase/Kane Chronicles/Matched/THE LUNAR CHRONICHLES!

I am

SHER

#FreaksLikeMe

#I'mNotClay

#WeAreFamily

#RemeberClev

Front sm

analyzingwizard7

aka CapitalCelebrating1

I'm writing a book too, but I'm still on the 1st Draft. I know that it'll take at least 5-6 more years before it's even Agent-worthy, let alone Editor-worthy. Is that how you feel? Or is it that you think it's rubbish? If so, do you think you can improve it?

• Posted at:

Chai @^@

2010-2016 : 6 years as a Cahill

The Lord of the Books!

The Inventor of the Gavinometer!

King of the 39 Clues Fandom!

Horizoner, Greencloak, SQ, Madrigal, Amulet Keeper, Shadow House Special

Since the very start!

ChaiHam or ChaiJavi

Front sm

hydraposeidon162

aka DetectiveClub11

Nobody knows it's you. No cons.

~S.L.

• Posted at:

Is me.

Javi.

Front sm

dogyellow583

Quite honestly, I feel like it needs entirely rewritten. The plot is messed up due to writing this during NaNoWriMo... I had to throw in some extra things to meet my word count and those extra plot points, I feel, don't really fit.

Plus, there's the fact that I feel like I wrote it from the wrong person's point of view... I should have used the female twin to actually tell the story. I didn't realize this until I was finishing it.

I think that I could improve in time (lots of it), I just am not sure at this point if I really want to spend my time on this or on any of the other novels that I have planned to write. Plus, I don't have time-- my parents said I have to send this novel to an editor as soon as possible. I've barely even edited this one myself.

• Posted at:

Front sm

spyunicorn1

aka FieryLucian3

*disclaimer - I don't actually know a lot about this stuff :D

Okay so if I were you  I would ignore my parents because quality over quantity.

Anyways, I'd say edit the entire thing until you think it's good enough. (And you have to focus on your thing. If you really want to publish, then you'll have to prioritize it and think about all your other books later.) You are your first editor and before you show it to anyone else you have to make sure you are absolutely pleased with the draft.

Then for free editing, I'd say ask a few people you know. Teachers, friends, MBers, try to get as much input from others as possible. They'll see the draft differently and give you suggestions.

Then you could use their suggestions and edit some more, or you can skip to finding an actual editor. NaNoWriMo has lots of affiliates and I'm pretty sure some of them offer free editing from editors, or a free copy of your book but idk you'll have to check.

Sometimes you can even contact actual authors through social media. I know Cassandra Clare has a Tumblr and sometimes she answers questions from her audience. I once saw a really informative post about how she gets her money fro books and publishing process, so yeah you can try that too.

Also about pen names, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide. There's a bunch of sites out there that could help you. I know JK Rowling used JK because she thought that if people saw it was written by a woman, they wouldn't read it (boys), and I know she also writes under Robert Galbraith so yeah :P

• Posted at:

ChuCahill & MBer siπce '12

professional craftinator.

#NeverAgain | #SayNoToRacism | #MeToo

"In 2022, who was best man at Dan and Phil's wedding?"

"A terrifying hybrid of of Chris and PJ."

"Correct!"

#It's A Chain Reaction of Compassion

Front sm

shyrainbow5

aka SapphireLadybug7

I also think you should wait. You have given several legitimate reasons for not wanting it sent to a professional editor. Even authors who have written for T39C and lots of other books usually say that they have to edit a book many times before submitting it, and they generally have an author friend or other trusted person read it for their POV, which is usually very helpful to the book being a success.

If your parents don't listen to your reasons and jump the gun, you might get criticism and a rejection that would be hard for you to take since this would be the first time doing this. (Having a pen name would protect your identity, but not help you with your feelings.) Also, just having written it during NaNoWriMo is actually reason enough to not want a pro editor to look at it because people usually rush to get to the word limit and know that it's not their best writing even though it COULD be with more work.

George =)

• Posted at:

ⓖⓔⓞⓡⓖⓔ

#Christian

"Fight the good fight

of the faith. Take hold

of the eternal life to which you were called

when you made the good confession

before many witnesses." 

I Timothy 6:12