Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Branch: Janus

A long time ago when this board was first merged with the Infinity Rings board, I alongside other MBers thought up of a story concept we all wanted to work on. Now that they're gone and it seems like I'm the only one who remembers, I wanted to write the story as a tribute for them.

The year is 0089 of the Halcyon Tempus (HT) period. Humanity is under attack by destructive and grotesque monstrosities named Angels due to the appearance of the very first monster who ascended from the sky with white wings.

Our only hope lies in the hands of the Guardian Angels, a newly established military organization that created the only weapons that could give humanity a fighting chance.

I hope you enjoy!

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Chapter 1: Codename MESSIAH

"Today is the day I die," she told the horde of Angels in front of her, "but you'll have to entertain me before I do!"

She walks forward, Gauntlet in hand and a confident smirk on her face. The monsters gathered together and prepared to unleash their judgment, a final resort all too common with these Providence Class Angels. This monster of a lady stands strong, slowly changing her strut to a jog, then her jog to a rush. Her gauntlet glowed a black aura so bright it devours the holy light.

The black aura envelops her arm into a giant blade of violet steel. The broad width of the blade was only rivaled by its intense length, far exceeding the entire height of the woman alone. It was a weapon forged from the very cells in her body. Her Gauntlet firmly grasped the handle.

It was humanity's first creation to kill those monstrosities. It was humanity's first creation to be wielded by their Messiah. 

She was the first Messiah.

Her blade slashed and pierced the horde one by one. Wings of white tinted with the red of her enemies fell down from the sky one by one. The Gauntlet she holds occasionally transformed into a giant, gaping claw which ate the entirety of whatever was unfortunate to have been devoured by her. She fed on their deaths, and grew stronger for it.

Hours passed, she still stood strong, fighting for the people she loved. She became tired and weak as this battle drew on longer and longer.

In a last ditch effort, the Angels prepared one final attack to kill the predator in front of them. Without fear or hesitation, she ran in, prepared to take the full brunt of the attack in order to kill the last few.

She slayed them.

But it was too late for her.

The lady collapsed on top of the pile rubble amassed from her destruction, her blade stabbed into the last Angel there.

"I may fall here, but humanity will prevail over you monsters one day. I'm no longer their messiah, I never was."

She reached out to the sky, the darkened veins in her hand swollen and convulsing. Her lips spread into one final smile.

"I know you will be the one to guide humanity. Never falter. And remember... I love you."

Sixteen years later...

"Director, the doctors believe to have found a possible candidate among the list of volunteers."

With pristine dexterity he skims through the file his secretary hands him, only to abruptly stop the moment he saw the face of the candidate. He laughs to himself then looks up to his diligent secretary.

"Call him in for the procedure. And inform the doctors that I will be observing and participating through it as well," he orders her. She bows gracefully, takes the file, and leaves without a sound. The director stands from his seat, walks towards the gilded Gauntlet resting inside a glass case. He gently caresses the case with his finger. Thoughts forming in his head give way to chaotic visions of the future he strives for.

"It must run in the family," he says to himself.

I was scared. Could they blame me? I volunteered because I wanted to support our Guardians from the back of the vanguard, but suddenly they tell me that I'm compatible for a Gauntlet. I have no choice in whether or not I want to undergo the procedure to connect myself to the Gauntlet.

In all honesty, I don't mind being chosen for the front lines. It's understandable, they need people out there to protect the masses.

What scared me was the fact that less than 11% of those who undergo procedure actually come out alive.

I was scared.

"Doe, John. The preparations are ready. Please come to Procedure Room 1."

With hesitation in my heart, I stand up, legs shaking and palms sweating. I walk through the lobby of the base and enter the central elevator. The automated system brings me down, far down to where the infirmary and procedure rooms are. As I exit, I see a girl sitting down outside one of the rooms. She notices me looking at her and I immediately turn away.

"Hey, is ignoring her REALLY what you do when you see a cute girl?" she asks me. I stop and glance back at her, a little embarrassed about not acknowledging her.

"Speechless? I can't blame you, my beauty is one of a kind after all!" she says with a smile. I'm not sure how to answer that.

"I'm just messing with you. Are you John Doe? They called for you earlier. Procedure Room 1 is farthest down the hall."

"Thank you miss-" 

"Woah," she interrupts me and puts her hand up to stop me, "I'm no 'Miss', okay? I'm still sixteen! My name is Lailah. Nice too meet you John."

I shake her hand slowly. The door behind her opens.

"Looks like it's my turn. Good luck with your procedure! And hey, let's go out somewhere when we're done. The city at night is beautiful, even if it's still ruined."

She turns away and walks inside, waving to me with a smirk on her face. I wave back. I was sure she noticed me blush.

I'm still scared.

The long hallway seemed to stretch for infinity. It was dimly lit, with lights above the doors that flicker every now and then. Now that I think about it, the entire base seemed to be poorly lit.

Right now I am currently in the Ark, mankind's first base established to house Guardian Angels. This base is also known as the true front lines of the Guardian Angels. The Guardians here are constantly busy with fighting as the enemy Angels congregate around this area the most.

I know it's confusing. Establishing "Guardian Angels" and the monster "Angels" is kind of difficult to do. Normally the soldiers are just referred to as Guardians. 

The Guardians here are all courageous and brave. Around the Ark are settlements for people to live in, surrounded by the wall we call Aegis. It's pretty poetic. Humanity is protected by the Wall of Aegis, and the Guardians serve as the Scythe of Harpe.

Eventually I reach the end of the hallway. Large white doors stand tall in front of me. A small plate next to the handle reads "1: MESSIAH".

I steel my heart and open the doors.

I'm so scared.

A voice echoes out through the white room I find myself in.

"Welcome Mr. Doe. Or do you prefer John? You're fairly young, but in light of your courageous choice to join the front lines, I'm obliged to refer to you with a proper title."

I look up to see people behind a glass window. That must be some sort of observation room. I gulp down my fears, straighten my back, and hold my head up high. There was one man that I could see behind that glass. He wears a large white coat adorned with what seemed to be emblems. He has long, black hair that barely trailed past his neck. That was all I could perceive from this distance. His voice was deep, but imposing.

He was clearly an important man.

I look forward and see a table with a gold gauntlet sitting on top of it. This was what's known as a Devil's Gauntlet, the weapons made to kill Angels. No one knows how they were made, except for the few scientists who developed it and the first person to ever use one. They were known as the Messiah, and she was an outstanding Guardian who outperformed all others despite the advances made In Gauntlets. She was an idol to all. Even after death, we humans cling to the hope of a Messiah. Although ever since she died, we've been desperately searching for a new one.

"I'm sure you know what to do. Go put on the Gauntlet. You're right-handed, so we chose one for your dominant hand."

I approach the Gauntlet and stare at it.

I'm scared. 

"Once you put it on the Gauntlet will attempt to bind to your hand by fusing with your blood. If this goes successfully, the Gauntlet will serve as your new hand."

I'm scared.

"With the powers of the Gauntlet you will gain the ability to fight Angels. You most likely know about how it works. The Gauntlet will take form of a weapon made to kill Angels by utilizing the cells of your body."

I'm scared.

"It will be a painful process, but if you manage to prevail you will become humanity's Guardian. A shield and sword of mankind to eliminate and eradicate our oppressors. Focus on your will to live, and you will surely endure the pain."

I'm scared...

But I have no choice. They won't let me back away from this.

I reach out towards the Gauntlet. Fear spreads from my fingers to my heart. It beats faster and faster, trying to burst from my chest and stop me from doing this.

I'm scared... Of dying.

I'm not scared to fight.

I thrust my hand into the Gauntlet and brace myself. I felt the inside pierce my hand in multiple spots. It felt like my hand was covered in a cage of spikes.

But... It didn't hurt.

"Ah, one more thing," the voice from the observation room says, "that Gauntlet is a special one. It's the Gauntlet of the first Messiah."

What? The first Messiah?!

"We've injected cells known as the Messiah Gene into it, so those cells will soon start to bind to your blood."

Wait, a new type of cell?! Then that means-

"AGH!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

"GRGK! GAAUGH! AAAAAAAAH!"

My body would do anything to force out and expel the foreign matter. That's why people die during these processes, the injection of foreign matter into the body is naturally repelled by the body.

I could feel the Gauntlet fusing to my hand, literally becoming one with my skin. For a moment I couldn't tell which nerves were mine, and I lost feeling in my hand. But the excruciating pain came soon after, overwhelming my arm and spreading to the rest of my body. I fell over to the side, screaming and crying, losing control of my own body. I struggle to look at my hand and see the Gauntlet losing control, expanding larger and larger. I've seen that form before, the Gauntlet's devouring mode. I lost control and was flooded with waves of pain one after the other.

But inside my mind was a voice that spoke to me.

I couldn't hear what it said. Or maybe I just couldn't understand what it said. But there was something about it that calmed me and beckoned me to endure the pain.

I want to live.

I want to live!

I want to...

The pain subsides. I looked at the Gauntlet. It emitted a soft glow that rhythmically dimmed and lit. I noticed it matched my breathing.

"Congratualtions," I hear around me, "from now on, you will be known as our Messiah. I guess there's no need to decide on how I should be addressing you, my Messiah."

... I'm still scared.

Even if I have the Gauntlet of the first Messiah, I'm not a fighter. I'll be killed for sure by those Angels. And because I'm the Messiah now, everyone will be expecting so much from me.

... I heard the voice in my head once again.

I'll be okay. I know it.

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

Branch: Lucian

It's amazing. kinda creepy, but cool! did you make up the characters, or did you ask for characters? if you asked for characters from the forums, did you put my character in it? Amber. if you did put her in, the last name is Dubios. just telling you. Ohh... I just realised, Dubios means "From the Woods." so she's Amber from the Woods! I had no idea until I just googled it! but if you made them up, can you put my character in it anyway? not evil though please! if you do. I just like being in stories.

• Posted at:

I am so cool, not realy, lol

please talk to me everyone who reads my posts

I love MiraculouLadybug and Cat Noir!

Whovian!

Would like to be known as Amber. Daughter of Ackithump01

leave a message at the beep, unless it's bad news BEEP

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Thanks for the compliments!

No, all my characters are made up. But I can put yours in the story. After all, it was made as tribute for the MBers of the past. It'd be a shame not to have characters from MBers currently active.

Although I can't guarantee the best outcome for Amber of course. 

:) 

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

I understand. just so you know, Amber's hair is brown with a ginger tinge, she has blue eyes, very amazing humour, and loves hoodies, so she's wearing one almost every day.

• Posted at:

Whovian!

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Chapter 2: The Woman With The Machine Gun (Part 1)

"Our little savior is a sleepy boy, now is he?"

The woman gently runs her fingers through the sleeping Messiah's hair. Beside her was the director, simply observing his new soldier. After the procedure the boy had slipped into a coma, his eyes turned cold and blank. What was more upsetting was the fact that the boy had managed to bond to his Gauntlet, yet it hadn't manifested into any sort of weapon yet. There was surely no mistaking in the fusion of his body and the Gauntlet. So what was the issue here? Was this boy simply not meant for the MG cells?

The director shook his head. This boy had been able to manifest the Devour Mode, one at such a scale that was unprecedented. That was proof enough that he had succeeded. I will simply have to wait, the director thinks to himself.

"Aww, who's a cute little soldier?"

"Captain Mira, I'd appreciate it if you don't patronize the new Messiah while he's in a vulnerable state," the director says to the woman. She laughs and continues to stroke the boy.

"But this is the only chance I'll get to coddle this boy before he goes to fight! He's still so young after all. Just please don't tell him about this moment once he wakes up. Could you do that for me, director?"

He sighs in disappointment. This woman is our finest captain, he reminds himself, she's more than meets the eye. Just keep telling yourself that and everything will be okay. Eventually.

"Is this boy's name really John Doe? Such a boorish name for someone who looks so striking!" the captain says.

She wasn't wrong. Both of them were taken aback by this Messiah's looks. Semi-long white hair tinted in a light blue color, complimented by skin as white as snow. His face had a feminine shape, yet his body was well toned for a boy his age. Yet even amongst all such features were those glassy, yellow eyes of his. The captain had yet to see them, but the director had the time to take a good look at them in the photo.

He held back the urge to smile.

This boy was the spitting image of the last Messiah.

I woke up to blinding lights above me. My eyes reel from the intense brightness, so much so that I found it difficult to simply open my eyes. There wasn't a place this bright when I first walked around the Ark. Where was I?

"You awake?"

I turn to the direction that the voice came from, and found myself squinting at a person sitting close to my bed. They reach out to me.

"Someone's got a bad case of bed hair," they gently teased, "makes me want to pet it."

My eyes slowly opened up as it adjusted to the brightness. In front of me was a woman who intensely gazed at me with dull, brown eyes, only complimented by the chestnut color of her hair. She wore a crop top with a crudely attached hood that exposed her midriff to show off a tattoo of a sword surrounded by three pairs of wings, the all-too recognizable emblem of the Guardian Angels. Slung around from her neck to underneath her arm was a loose fabric with cloth that trailed down her hips. I could see the insignia embroidered onto it.

She was ranked as a Captain. I look at the arm she reaches out to me with to see a silver Gauntlet. Instinctively, and fearfully, I slap it away. A loud metallic noise caused by my hand hitting hers away causes me to look at my hand and realize what was there.

The familiar glint and shine of the Devil's Gauntlet. My Gauntlet. The Gauntlet of the Messiah.

"Hey! Is that how you're going to act to your superior?! Some Messiah you turned out to be..."

I look down, guilt slowly filling up and pinching my heart. The feeling fades quickly as this captain suddenly wraps her arm around my shoulder and pulls me in. She smiles deviously and winks.

"Don't worry," she says with reassurance in her voice, "I know you're scared. But you can trust me. Just remember that before I am your captain, I'm your friend, Mira." Mira's hold on me was captivating. Her motherly aura almost makes me want to fall back into a deep sleep.

She helped me out of bed and slung my arm around her shoulder, insisting that I was still weak and needed to adjust to the after effects of the fusion. I knew what to expect had I succeeded, but I never imagined it would have affected me at such a high degree. Yes, right now I feel weak, but every single sense and nerve in my body feels more precise, more "powerful" for lack of a better term. As we walked back to the lobby of the Ark, everything around me seemed brighter than it was before the procedure. Mira tells me that the fusion of the Devil Gauntlet to my body improves all aspects of my body's performance. The reason the lights seemed so dim before was because it was bright enough for us who own Gauntlets to see through, in fact, it seemed to be too bright for us.

"Did you notice that you're not wearing your glasses? How's your eyesight?" Mira asks me. I hadn't even noticed I wasn't wearing my glasses because my vision seemed so clear that I honestly wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it seemed perfect.

"It's a lot to adjust to," Mira says to me, "especially when you've got that Messiah Gene inside you now. It probably improved you to a state better than my own."

It suddenly dawned on me just who this woman was. Captain Mira of the Ark's Predator Unit. She leads the Guardian Angels who go outside of the Aegis to hunt down Angels for their powers. They are the true front line, the vanguard that fights for humanity.

And yet there are only three people who are a part of the Predator Unit. Captain Mira Esperanza, Vice Captain Lucius Hathaway, and Medic Hana Yayoi. Three Guardians renowned for their ability to slay countless hordes of Angels alone, if they must. If I recall correctly, Captain Mira has gained over 30,000 confirmed kills over the span of four years. Even just slaying twenty Angels in one day, everyday for four years, you'd get a solid total of 29,200 kills. Mira MUST have days where she gets time off, right? So just how many Angels had she truly slain in a single day over the span of four years in order to amass such a record?

That hadn't even scratched the surface on how capable this woman is. She's known for her exceptional skills as Captain of the Predator Unit, with a 100% survival rate. Rookies who have passed the Gauntlet procedure are usually sent to train under her before being sent off into different branches around the world because of how successful she is at keeping her men alive.

A woman like that telling me that I've surpassed her simply by having this Gauntlet makes me shudder in fear. What was I getting myself into?

"Hey rook, snap out of it. We're at the elevator now."

As we approached the doors, one of the procedure rooms next to us opened. Out came a white stretcher with someone on it. I couldn't tell who they were because they were completely covered by a white cloth, though I could see that they were a woman.

Then the realization came.

This was the room that Lailah was waiting to go into. This was the room where she underwent her own procedure.

That body was...

"Captain..."

"Yes?"

I think I'm going to puke.

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Chapter 2: The Woman With The Machine Gun (Part 2)

"Sorry Director, he's having an... Episode," Mira reports in embarrassment. The Director sighs in disappointment. It wasn't something he had expected, but realistically, it was something he shouldn't be surprised about. Maybe this was the boy's first time seeing a dead body. If that was the case, then what happened is a natural reaction. However this boy came from the slums around the Ark, and in this world he must have seen his share of death. Angels have been reported to break through the Aegis, and there have been deaths as a consequence. Death is now, essentially, more common than ever.

The worst-case scenario would be that the new Messiah is weak at heart. That would be absolutely unacceptable.

"I will go process his first field operation now. Captain, your orders are to observe him and keep him alive while-"

"Hold on!" Mira interrupts, "You're sending him out to fight before giving him training? He's still trying to adjust to his senses, and-"

The director stops her by raising his hand. "Training will be useless for a Guardian Angel who hasn't formed their weapon yet. Besides, a Messiah requires no training, Captain. Just make sure he doesn't die out there."

Mira watches as the cold-hearted director walked past her. She clenches her fists in anger.

"Yeah... A Messiah is the only one who can save us, huh? Just because he's got some gold Gauntlet..."

Means he has to suffer for my sake? 

I stared at my Gauntlet. This thing has seen and killed countless of Angels. Just how powerful was it?

I've heard stories of the Messiah before me. A woman of demonic strength. A true devil of the battlefield. She may have been recognized and praised as a savior, but most would have called her a monster. People say she had no regard for her own safety, coming back from battles heavily wounded. Yet she never stopped. It was because of her fury that the wall of Aegis was completed in the first place.

The Devour Mode of the Devil Gauntlets is a mode that, as the name suggests, allows the user to devour Angels. The aura from the Gauntlets coalesce to form a gaping claw which can quite literally "eat" its target. This is possible through the use of the cells in the Gauntlet that are fused to the user's body during the procedure.

This is the difference between the Gauntlet of the Messiah and regular Devil Gauntlets. My Gauntlet has the Messiah Gene cells, whereas regular Gauntlets have Devil cells. That's why they're called Devil Gauntlets in the first place. There does, however, exist an immense difference in power between MG cells and D cells. Regular Gauntlets are normally able to form a Devour Mode large enough to devour parts of Angels.

The Gauntlet of the Messiah can devour Angels whole. All the power absorbed by the Messiah was used to improve the technology we have now, including the Aegis. 

So even though she's dead, the last Messiah still protects us. Symbolically.

... I can't let myself be this weak if I'm to be her successor.

Still feeling dizzy, I walk out of the restroom and see Captain Mira waiting for me. However, she had her back turned away from me and was muttering to herself. She stopped once she noticed that I was there.

"Hey! If you're gonna be this vulnerable before the fight has even started, then how do you expect to live up to your title?"

I gaze at my hand once more and clench it tightly. It felt like the Gauntlet wasn't even there anymore.

"Sorry..." was all I could muster up as a reply.

"... Hey, no worries. C'mon, while you were in there we received orders to get you some training out on the field."

Already? I suppose even the Messiah can't afford to rest even a little bit. Captain Mira takes my arm, once again wrapping it around her neck and guiding me to the lobby.

Once there, she sat me down on one of the couches, telling me to wait as she'll go confirm the mission with our Operator. I took the time to rest for a bit and tilted my head back into the cushion.

"Hi there!"

I look forward to see the face of a woman staring intently at me with a smile. I recoil and fall back in surprise, which only served to humor her.

"Cute! Didn't know that the Messiah is scared of women!"

The white-haired woman laughs at me as I stare at her in confusion. It lasted for a while until she eventually came to a stop, wiping her eyes and smiling uncontrollably. That was when Captain Mira appeared behind the woman and gave her a harsh jab.

"Hey, we want the Messiah to feel welcomed, not picked on!" she says to the woman aggressively.

"Sorry, sorry! But he stumbled so easily that I just couldn't take it!"

"You take some sick pleasure out of doing stuff like that, don't you, Hana?"

Hana?

This woman was the Medic of the Predator Unit? She's just as legendary as Captain Mira! Hana is known for her proficiency at healing wounds during battle with the power of her Gauntlet, for her impeccable tenacity on the field, and for her ability to balance both priorities in the heat of the moment. Her Gauntlet somehow allows her to siphon the energy of Angels simply by striking them with her weapon, and with that energy she can heal herself and others around her.

I have two legendary Guardian Angels standing in front of me right now.

And yet... All I am to them is a Messiah. A Messiah who's yet to have done anything deserving of the title.

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

Incredible! amazing! I can't wait for the next part!

• Posted at:

Whovian!

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Thank you! I'm glad to know that there's someone who follows this series.

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

Even if I am your only reader, This is great! maybe you could publish it someday. just fixing off a few rough ends when you publish it, though. I hear writer critics are really critical of the plot, the synonyms, the similes, the this, the that, you get my idea.

• Posted at:

Whovian!

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Thank you, maybe I will publish it one day. But for now, I want this to be here for the friends I used to have on this board. And when I'm finished with it, I'll be content.

And thank you for saying it's great, I know that there's a lot that needs to be worked on. 

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\

Front sm

amberdolphin1210

When you gonna do the next bit?

• Posted at:

Whovian!

Front sm

dawnhydra3

aka AgentWise50

Ah! Sorry. Truth be told, I've been lazing around a bit, watching shows and reading up about stuff for inspiration. Recently I had the opportunity to learn about what it's like to be a real author, albeit with short stories and Japanese light novels

• Posted at:

Riku

Hey

Hey you

Make a contract with me.

Yeah.

Be a Magical Girl/Boy.

/人 ◕‿‿ ◕ 人\