Front sm

risingqueen14

Branch: Janus

chapter one

I took a deep breath, standing on the path of 35 Portland Row.
"Okay, everyone. Be nice, remember that we need this agency."
"Our agency or theirs?"
"Both. But focus on theirs for now."
I rang the bell. A moment later, a girl seemingly a few years older than me appeared.
We looked over each other. She had clearly made an effort; you could tell by her pulled-back hair, smooth red skirt, and neatly-trimmed nails.
I, on the other hand, had obviously not put quite as much thought into my appearance. I'd focused more on what I'd say.
I suppose I should have looked nicer; what good are my words if they're transfixed on my frizzy hair and the dirt on my boots? Why would they accept my proposal if I can't even iron my t-shirt first?
"Are you the Ameara Agency?"
Nodding, I extended my hand. "Alexa Parker, founder and current leader. You are...?"
"Holly Monroe. I spoke to you on the phone yesterday."
Smiling, she shook my hand, glancing at the others.
Beside me was the youngest of us, 10 year old Hayden Summers. He was the happiest in the group, interested in too many things at once. Too excited to sit down and research anything, he mostly stuck to the field. His best Talent is his Touch.
Behind him was his 16 year old sister, Harper. She tried to keep her profile low and rarely made eye contact. Her Talent is Sight, though she researches more than she fights.
Behind me was Daniel Harrison. At 15 years old, his main Talent was Listening. Not to me, of course. He preferred to do his own thing, though he wasn't one for many risks. He used to be second-in-command, but lately he seems to be fighting me for first.
Then, of course, there was me. I'd founded my agency at 11 years old, but three years later, still hardly anyone knew me. We had enough small jobs to keep us going, of course, but we were overshadowed by every other agency in London. Fittes, Bunchurch...and most recently, A.J. Lockwood & Co. There was no doubt that they were an amazing group, which was why I decided that we couldn't do this case without them.
The case that we couldn't manage two nights prior, because Harper and Daniel decided we should leave immediately after the malaise set in. We hadn't even been there for four hours yet. We hadn't even seen anything yet. We had, however, heard and felt enough for them to quit.
"Come in, the others are waiting." Holly led us to their living room.
Two of them stood as I entered, my co-workers behind me.
"Hello, Ms. Parker." The boy standing smiled. "Please sit down."
He was Anthony Lockwood, the founder and head of Lockwood & Co. The photos I'd seen could not capture the radiance of his smile.
"Hello, sir." I sat across from him. Hayden sat next to me while Daniel and Harper stood by the doorway.
Harper stared at her shoes. Daniel cast furtive glances around the room, his arms crossed. When his green eyes landed on me, I saw a hint of anger before they tore away.
I turned my focus to Lockwood.
"What, exactly, did you want us for? You didn't quite make it clear yesterday." He said, smiling still.
I glanced at his teammates; Lucy Carlyle, Quill Kipps, and Holly Monroe. I wasn't sure where George Cubbins was, but I looked up to this group. How they built one of the most famous agencies with only five members, how they went from nothing to constantly being in the papers was astounding. Suddenly, as they all focused on me, everything I'd rehearsed the night before disappeared.
I was there. I was the one that wanted their help. I was why the others were there, and I was just going to blank, wasting all of our time?
Almost. I almost did. But then my stubbornness kicked in, reminding me that I couldn't just give the case up to anyone else. I couldn't give it to Fittes...
I cleared my throat, returning my gaze back to Lockwood.
"Well, my team and I have recently been given a case at Elysian Church, a few towns away."
"Elysian Church?" He frowned. "I'm afraid I haven't heard of that one."
"I'm not surprised, it's quite old and hardly used."
"What information do you have on there?"
I glanced at Harper, who had drawn closer to the hallway. She was the main researcher, and when I really needed her she went further into hiding. What was I supposed to do? I didn't know everything about the case, I don't focus on the history--
"Oh, hold on!"
I stared as Hayden reached into his backpack and pulled out a folder with the words "Elys. Info" stamped on the front.
He handed it to me, beaming.
"Thank you, Hayden." I gave him a quick smile, removing the first page. I skimmed it.
"Well?"
"We know that several people had passed away there," I started, looking up. "They were unidentifiable by the time a member found them on Sunday. No one had been reported missing that week, nothing had been scheduled there either. But we have reason to believe there was a secret wedding taking place."
Lockwood raised an eyebrow, leaning forward. "Why's that?"
"We attempted to spend the night before last there, to scope out the area and see what we could find before returning to seal anything. Two quarters past midnight, we heard a wedding march play. We did not hear anything else, nor did we see anything. It played for ten minutes straight. Then, silence. Another ten, fifteen minutes went by and heavy malaise came over us. I don't know what else happens at night, because Harper and Daniel thought we should leave and give this job to someone else."
I glanced at them. Harper started towards the front door. Daniel glared at me.
"As you can see, I agreed to leave. However, I am not turning this case over to you."
"You're asking for our help?"
I nodded.
"Yes."
"Hold on," Lucy Carlyle interjected. "Why are you asking us?"
I turned to her.
"I trust your agency the most. I have reason not to trust the Fittes Agency or DEPRAC, but no one else is as good as you all."
"Does your team agree with this?" Lockwood asked, glancing between the others.
I turned to find Hayden transfixed by some trinkets on the wall. Harper was, I assumed, waiting at the door.
My hazel eyes locked with Daniel's. They had not softened since we'd gotten there. Now, however, rather than slight anger I could almost see resentment. Towards me, towards the case, towards Lockwood & Co...I'm not sure. My hunch was it was towards me.
After a moment, I turned back.
"Doesn't matter." I said, in as cool a voice as I could manage. "I'm not giving up on this, though they are free to. It's just another reason why I need your help."
"I'm not giving up either," Hayden added quickly. "So you have half of us!"
I smiled back at him as Lockwood glanced at the others.
"Excuse us a moment," He said, leaving the room with the others close behind him.
I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.
"I think it's time to leave again." Harper reappeared in the doorway. "They're never going to agree to this. Half of us don't even agree to this."
Daniel nodded, turning to leave. "She's right. Why would this great agency help out the smallest one, whose leader won't listen to anyone else?"
"Daniel, don't--"
I stood up, crossing the room to meet him face-to-face.
"You know what, Daniel? Go ahead, leave. Leave the agency, if you want." I smiled. "Just remember that real leaders take the path that seems best. This is what I think is smart."
He leaned against the wall.
"You don't think it's smart, you just won't give up on this!" Shaking his head, he took a deep breath. "Real leaders don't let their pasts get in the way of their team's lives."

I stepped closer.
"It's not my fault if you're in danger. You knew what you were getting into when you chose to join an agency, when you chose to actually use your Talent!" My voice rose so much I bet the neighbors heard me. "You could have stayed home, you could have stayed as safe as possible, but you chose not to!"
"I know I chose to work with you, but you were actually smart three years ago. Now, I could be lying outside the chains, dying of ghost-touch, and you'd still want to stay on the case!"
"Oh, please. We both know you're too afraid to get close enough for a Visitor to get you." I scoffed. "By the way, if you hate me so much, why don't you just quit?"
"You know what, fine. I think I will."
"Fine, but I have a suggestion first."
He narrowed his eyes, watching me carefully.
"What?"
I smiled as sweetly as I could, taking my voice back to its regular volume.
"Go to--"
Someone cleared their throat loudly across the room.
Startled, I turned around to find Lockwood & Co. watching us. My smile disappeared without a trace.
"Well, that was quite the show." Quill Kipps leaned against the wall.
"Yes, it was..." Lockwood nodded. "Is now a bad time to answer you?"
I lowered my gaze, shaking my head.
"No, go...go ahead."
"We'll take it."
My eyes widened, darting back up.
"I-I'm sorry?"
He smiled.
"We'll help you."

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

Charity

"A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?"

she was looking for a sword

i'm stupid with love.

the sea doesn't like to be restrained.

Front sm

hydrahoneydew9

Branch: Ekaterina

:O amazing-!

• Posted at:

ocean 

your evil fandom reference queen

haunted by knee bruise goblins | nr's mb-sis

|probably playing miitopia | drowning in ships|

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

(thanks eris)

#Saveisaac2k18

#wafflesarefriends

Front sm

analyzingdragon106

aka CatchingBlue120

Bump!

• Posted at:

THE NAMES TAYLOR. GIRLS RULE! RP Queen!

I like Miraculous Ladybug!

I'm just a girl who likes to rp.

I also like to write stories.

Book Rp!

Front sm

risingqueen14

chapter two

Early Friday evening, Hayden and I walked to Elysian Church. Not long after, Lockwood & Co. pulled up in a taxi.

Dragging their presumably heavy duffel bags with them, they met us at the gate.

"So, this is the infamous Elysian Church." Lockwood turned to me. "Do you have the key?"

Nodding, I reached inside my jacket pocket, digging through loose salt and iron fragments. I handed it to him. He unlocked it, pushing it open slightly, as Hayden began chatting with the others.

Most of our cases started like this. I was quiet, cleansing my mind of fear and doubts. Hayden, however, was always excited. He was talkative until the night fell, knowing he couldn't go off on tangents then.

Harper and Daniel...well, they weren't there that night. How they start cases wasn't important.

I looked back at the decent-sized church. Two run-down buildings, connected by one long hallway. The hallway had glass walls.

For a second, I thought I saw someone there. Whatever it was left as quickly as they'd appeared. That concerned me, seeing as how the sun was still up. Visitors rarely appear before curfew.

"So, did you guys do any research?" I heard Hayden ask.

I glanced back as they kept talking.

"I found something." George Cubbins had made it tonight. As eager as I was to properly meet him, I couldn't stop to listen.

They were all engrossed in the conversation. No one was paying attention to me. Hand on my rapier, I slipped through the gate.

Cautiously, I made my way towards the glass hall. A dim glow flickered on the floor. A death-glow.

"So there was a wedding?" Someone asked.

"Yeah, not a pretty one--"

I blocked them out. Listening wasn't my talent, really, but it was worth a shot. As I drew closer, the death-glow became brighter, flickering much more than it had.

I made it to the hall. The death-glow was a few feet away, separated from me by only a layer of glass.

Taking a deep breath, I moved my hand from my rapier to the glass. It was colder than I'd expected, despite it being late August.

Almost immediately, the light shifted.

It was much darker now. Someone came from the main building, being chased by someone else who was holding something—a long, curved object. A dagger, I think.

The first person slipped on the floor, which was wet with...was that blood?

The chaser fell on top of his victim. He raised his hand, the dagger lifted high. He brought his arm down swiftly. His weapon went straight into--

Someone touched my shoulder.

The scene faded as I jerked my hand away, turning around.

Standing there, one eyebrow raised, was Lockwood.

"Alexa, what are you doing?"

"Oh, uh..." I stared at the ground.

The flashback was replaying in my mind. I could sense the victim's fear, and the attacker's anger. Was it anger at his prey, anger at something he'd done, or...was it anger directed at me, for being there? Had he died there too, was I trespassing on both of their graves?

Was there ever justice for his victim, or did he go undiscovered? Were there more deaths that night, at that wedding?

...Was I his next victim?

My mind reeled with many more similar questions. My heartbeat picked up its pace. It then almost felt as if I had been that man, running for his life, slipping and then--

"Alexa?"

Lockwood's voice snapped me back to the present. I stared at him, my back to the glass.

"What?"

"What are you doing?"

"I...I thought I saw someone, but it's not quite curfew yet so we shouldn't need to worry about it."

I flashed a shaky smile, turning. I walked back out the gate to the others, Lockwood following a moment after.

"Lex, where have you been?" Hayden asked, coming to stand by me.

"Just double-checking the grounds, seeing if we'd missed anything on Tuesday."

"Did we?"

I thought about the scene again.

"No...no, I don't think so."

We gathered our bags, leaving the gate unlocked, and walked to the main building.

The one the men ran from.

Hayden and George filled me in as we crossed the courtyard.

There had been a wedding there, about sixty years before. It was late one night, and the ceremony was underway. The bride and groom were from rival families.

They were about to exchange their vows when two groups of people crashed in, with daggers and swords. It was their families. The bride's family was attempting to assassinate the groom, and vice versa.

Neither group was too pleased about that. When they realized what was happening, they abandoned their plans and fought each other.

At least, that's what the papers said.

"What were their names?" I asked as we entered the building.

"Alyssa Smith and Julian Rodgers." George wiped his glasses on his shirt.

"It's a typical romance novel," Kipps said, setting his bag down. "Rich woman falls in love with poor guy, family doesn't approve..."

"Never struck you for a romance enthusiast, Kipps." Lockwood commented, checking his belt's contents.

"Yeah," George pulled out a notebook. "I didn't realize you could even read."

Kipps' response was drowned out by Hayden closing the double-door. He left them unlocked like you were supposed to, in case you needed a quick escape.

Lockwood and Lucy set up two iron circles on opposite sides of the door, splitting the bags between them.

The sun was starting to go down, its slowly dying light filtering through the stained-glass ceiling. Holly joined me in front of the door.

"Where did you hear the wedding march?" She asked.

"Well," I started walking to the office door. "We were right here, but it sounded like it was coming from the sanctuary. None of us were stationed in there."

"Did you go there at all?"

"Sort of. I was a few steps in when..." I glanced down. "Daniel called me back out."

A moment of silence passed. I adjusted my belt.

"They really disagree with you, huh?"

"Yes." I glanced at her. "But they're not the leaders."

I walked to the sanctuary. She followed.

The door creaked as I pushed it open. I could barely make out a shape by the alter. It turned its head and--

"Alexa, come on. We're regrouping."

It disappeared.

"Right. Sorry."

I followed Holly back to the entrance, casting one last glance behind me.

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

hydrahoneydew9

mmmMMMM darn you, cliff-hangers-!

• Posted at:

ocean 

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

(thanks eris)

#Saveisaac2k18

#wafflesarefriends

Front sm

risingqueen14

chapter three

After taking temperature readings and checking for early Psychic phenomena, we regrouped by the door again.
The coldest places in the building were the sanctuary and by the glass. We set up chains there and by the office.
"Lucy, Kipps, you're by the glass hall. George, Hayden, Holly, you take the office area." Lockwood turned to me. "Alexa, you and I will be by the sanctuary."
I nodded as the others picked up a bag for their group.
"It's almost eight-thirty, we'll regroup here at eleven-thirty and switch spots."
I shouldered my backpack and followed Lockwood to our iron circle. I glanced at the sanctuary doors warily.
We sat in the circle in silence for a few moments. We were right in front of each other, looking at anything else.
"So," He faced me. "What, exactly, did you see earlier?"
I fidgeted with my belt.
"Is that why you chose me?"
"Well...mostly. Would you tell me?"
I stared at him a moment, before sighing.
"…You saw the glow, I assume, since you followed me."
He nodded.
"You touched the glass."
"Yes..." I bit my lip as the vision replayed in my head again. "I saw...I saw one of the murders. I don't know which it was, though."
I told him exactly what I'd seen and felt, staring at my shoes all the while.
"Perhaps it was Julian," Lockwood said. "If he was as scared as you say, his chaser must have been Alyssa's--"
"Why was it so vivid?" I interrupted. It'd been bothering me every time I thought about it. "The sun was still up, it shouldn't have been so vivid, so..."
"Frightening?"
I nodded.
"It must be much stronger than you thought."
"Well, I knew it was strong already, that's why I came to you--" I paused. "Also...I think I saw someone else in the sanctuary."
"When?"
"Right before we took readings. Holly and I stepped in, and I saw someone standing at the altar. I couldn't make out much, but they were turning towards me and then...they disappeared."
He watched me for a moment.
"Well, we'll find out who it was soon enough."
I nodded, biting my lip.

By eleven-thirty, I'd started to doze off a couple times. Between the nightmares and arguments, I didn't get much sleep the night before. I’d be fine once the action started.
Rapiers out, Lockwood and I headed to the entrance. Hayden, George and Holly were already there. Lucy and Kipps arrived a few moments later.
"Has anyone gotten anything?" I asked.
"I could hear someone running," Hayden answered. "It was only for a few seconds though, then they stopped."
"Someone screamed," Lucy said. "Half past nine. It sounded like a man, but I couldn't tell where it came from."
I locked eyes with Lockwood for a moment. It seemed we were thinking the same thing. He nodded.
Taking a deep breath, I turned back to the others and told them everything from earlier.
"You think the scream was Julian?" George asked.
I nodded. "Yes. The running might have been, too. I think the figure I saw was Alyssa."
Hayden stepped slightly closer to one of the iron circles. I hadn't thought before about how this night could affect him.
"Interesting..."
"Hold on," Kipps faced me. "You saw all of this five hours ago, and you're only telling us now?"
I stuttered, glancing at the others.
"Well--yes, but I...um..."
I didn't know. I stared at the floor.
"What, were you going to tell us when a ghost was right behind us?"
I glared at him. "Maybe when it was behind you, yeah."
"Did anyone else get anything?" Holly asked.
No one answered. Kipps and I kept glaring.
"Alright...You three, take the office. We’ll meet here at two."
Lockwood grasped my arm, leading me out of the room.
"You two, take the sanctuary!" He called back.
"Wait, so we're going to--"
"The glass hall, yes."
I groaned as we hurried to the circle.
"Couldn't we have gone to the office first?"
"We could have," He set his rapier against the wall. "But it's almost midnight, so I need you here. You're the one that saw them."
I wasn’t happy, but I managed to keep a neutral expression as we sat side-by-side. The iron circle was by the wall that led to the glass hall.
As we waited, I had to make a conscious effort to keep my hands from shaking. Whether it was from new fear or the immediate chill, I don't know.
I almost hoped it was just fear.

As had happened on Tuesday, the wedding march played at two quarters past midnight. Tonight, however, it managed to scare me. Again, it went for ten minutes, the malaise setting in for me after five.
The temperature had dropped to forty-three degrees. It was much harder to keep still now.
My rapier was by the chains. I grabbed it, keeping a tight grip until my knuckles were white.
I laid it on my lap, pointing it away from Lockwood. I stuck my hands in my jacket pocket.
Five minutes passed. Ten minutes. Fifteen. Then the apparitions started.
It started with the ghost-fog; creeping in at ankle-height, swarming around the iron circle. That wasn't dangerous; the men that came running through it, however...they were a different story.
Immediately, I felt their anger and fear from the flashback. Except...now I couldn't tell who they were from.
The man in front, the one we'd thought was Julian before, was dressed in simple black slacks and a t-shirt. There was blood in his pale blonde hair; his dark eyes were fearful, his mouth opened as if he'd been screaming then.
Suddenly he ran even faster, disappearing into the glass hall. His chaser seemed to slow down for a second...and looked directly at me.
He wasn't much taller. His dark hair swept across his face, almost covering his malevolent eyes, one of which kept twitching. He was dressed in a regular black tuxedo--regular except for the blood splattered on the front. The dagger he held was dripping, almost slipping from his grasp. As he looked at me, his scowl quickly switched to a crooked smile.
He kept running. I kept staring. I felt Lockwood jump up, grabbing his rapier.
"Wait!" I jumped up, blocking his path. My rapier flew in front of the hall. "You know who that was?"
"Yes! It was Julian and his killer. We have to go!"
He stepped to the side, trying to run past me. I grabbed his sleeve.
"No, no!" My heart picked up speed. "Julian is the killer! The scream wasn't him, it was one of Alyssa's relatives!"
"How do you know that?"
"Oh, you know, most assassins don't wear tuxes to their target's wedding!"
"Well--we still need to go! We can't miss him!"
"That part," I let go of his sleeve. "I agree with!"
He ran towards the hall. I dove for my rapier. As my fingers grazed the floor, I realized just how cold it had gotten; it couldn't have been above twenty-five degrees.
I hurried into the hall. Lockwood was standing several feet away, facing Julian.
There was a heavy miasma. The floor was slick with blood.
"Has he made any moves?" I asked, carefully stepping closer to Lockwood.
"Not yet..." He glanced at me. "Go grab Lucy, hm?"
"...What?"
"Tell Lucy to come here. Wait with Kipps."
I turned to him, shaking my head.
"No."
"Alexa--"
"It's my case."
"Which you asked for help with--"
"That doesn't mean taking it over completely! My teammates did that already. Trust me, I don't need you doing it too."
He faced me.
"Alexa...Go get someone else. I'll hold him off until you get back."
"We don't need someone else to--"
Neither of us noticed Julian's pale arms reaching for us until it was almost too late. Luckily, someone had thrown a decent-sized salt-bomb from the other side. I glanced over as Julian flickered out.
"Thanks--...Daniel?"
"You know," He said, pushing his dark hair back. "You should really pay more attention, especially on your cases."

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

eagledragon13393

I can’t wait to read more!

• Posted at:

NR or Queen Bagel

Ocean’s Forum Sis

LeoCarForAnnieDrNeroSeaIndiCaul

❖ Puppy Killed Me ❖

All will be remembered. 

We’re all made of broken glass, Darkness seeping through our cracks... ~Hyps

#ReefCan’tRiverDance

Front sm

risingqueen14

Note: Holly's last name is Munro, not Monroe. Sorry. Next chapter is in progress.

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

risingqueen14

chapter four

Lockwood left to get the others, leaving me alone with Daniel.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, watching as he set up an iron circle by the wall.
"Well, I was thinking I'd go for a walk at two in the morning by an abandoned church." He rolled his eyes. "What do you think?"
"I think that sounds like something you'd do."
“No, it’s something you would do. I came to check on Hayden.”
Something flared inside me. Anger, relief, regret…I don’t know what it was. I don’t understand why. As I opened my mouth to speak again, Lockwood returned with Lucy in tow.
“Has he come back yet?” Lucy asked.
I shook my head, freezing as I heard faint footsteps. I knew what was coming.
“Get in the circle!” Lockwood insisted.
The four of us jumped in, back-to-back, shoulder-to-shoulder. I nudged a piece back into place with my foot as two figures came running in again.
“When he gets close,” Lockwood breathed. “Run to the next building. I’ll drive him back and meet you there.”
“What?”
“No.”
Lucy and I tried to face him, almost knocking Daniel out of the circle.
“You’re not doing this alone, Lockwood.” Lucy said, her voice cracking slightly.
“Luce, I know what I’m doing. I need you to get them out.”
She sighed. “…Fine.”
Daniel inched his head closer to mine. His warm, slow breathes hit my skin, a quick reprieve from the blistering cold.
“You’re crazy,” He murmured. “But I hope you’re not crazy enough to—”
The men rushed by. I shut my eyes as the dagger rose. Someone screamed; it might have been me.
Someone grabbed my arm, dragging me as they broke into a run. I forced my eyes to open. It was Daniel; we were heading down the hall, Lucy barely ahead of us. I heard someone curse behind me.
Breaking through Daniel’s grasp, I spun around in time to see Julian driving Lockwood towards the glass.
I had to do something…I looked at my belt, sighing as I picked out a metal canister.
It was almost too risky to do…almost.
Lockwood!” I cried. “Get over here!”

He glanced at me. I raised the canister so he could see it. I think he smiled, but at that moment I realized what I’d done.
By raising my voice, by getting his attention, I’d also sparked Julian’s interest in me.
He turned to me. His eye twitched more than earlier; that malicious smile crept onto his face again. I noticed a few holes in the middle of his chest.
So, he was shot. Stabbed? No, shot…those were definitely bullet holes…right?
Lockwood had used that moment to sprint past Julian, stopping by my side. He plucked the canister out of my hand. I stared at Julian. He stared back. Even if I tried, I couldn’t have looked away. He was so raggedy, so…destroyed, forgotten.
I actually felt sorry for him, until—
Alexa!
Daniel grabbed my hand, pulling me out of my thoughts and down the hall. I saw Lockwood throw the metal canister from the corner of my eye; he was running with us now. We were entering the other building. Lucy was waiting at the door, shaking her head.
The magnesium flare broke open behind us, salt and iron spilling over the broken glass walls.
We’d destroyed an integral part of the building. That was fine, because we made it to the end. Lucy and Daniel shut the heavy, iron-laced door behind us.
I turned around, examining the messy room.
There were a few cracks in the stained glass ceiling. Several desks were clumped together to create one. End tables were overturned, couch cushions and pillows scattered. By a boarded-up window stood a whiteboard, PROBLEM scribbled across it; whatever else was written had been wiped away. I glanced to the left, freezing.
Julian was hovering beside the whiteboard, watching me. I think I screamed. I don’t remember. I do remember the pale form lunging towards me; someone pushed me out of the way. I hit the wall. My vision blurred. For a moment, I could barely make out about six shapes moving. I blinked a few times; there were only four people, five including the ghost. Daniel, Lockwood, and Lucy were circling Julian.
No one else was there.

You know, I would love to say that I stood up, grabbed my rapier, and rejoined the fight. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. Something was holding me down; the fear, the cold, some invisible force…I don’t know what it was. I just know that while the others parried the Visitor’s arms, I was fumbling with my belt, trying to grasp something. Anything. A salt-bomb, loose iron…Another flare wouldn’t have been much use at this point, not that I had any more. Harper never trusted me with fire. I could understand why now. After all, the one I had I wasted in the hall; all that did was destroy the place. Yet…it didn’t do anything to Julian.
Why? Why could he resurface immediately? In the next building, no less. How was he so strong? So fast? What was that curved object laying by the whiteboard, glinting in the scattered moonlight?
…Oh.
I muttered a curse. How’d I not notice it before? Struggling to stand, I picked up my rapier.
They were too close to the dagger for me to seal it. If I could just get them away from it, if I could lead Julian away from it so someone else could get it…
Leaning on the wall, I drew a deep breath.
Hey!
The others stared at me, but more importantly, Julian spun around. His head cocked to the side as he slowly drew closer.
“Guys,” I managed a steady voice. “Look under the whiteboard.”
Julian picked up his pace, shuddering as I said that. Daniel hurried there; he seemed to be struggling with opening the silver-glass case.
The ghost-lock was setting in again. Even though he was almost upon me, I couldn’t do anything. Even if I could move, swinging my sword wouldn’t have done anything, would it…?
An iron fragment passed through Julian, landing at my feet. I kicked it off before the ectoplasm could burn a hole through my shoe.
Julian turned around. I’m guessing Lucy had thrown it, considering Daniel was still opening the case; Lockwood, rapier-drawn, was backing towards him. That piece of iron was just enough to get the attention off me, simultaneously breaking the ghost-lock.
Swinging my rapier would do something. It would give either Daniel or Lockwood enough time to seal the Source. It would keep him away from Lucy too; not that she couldn’t handle him. She shouldn’t have to, especially since he seemed so interested in me.
So, I did it. I swung my rapier straight through Julian’s torso. He flickered out for a moment, then disappeared as Lockwood snapped the rectangular case closed.
I slid down the wall, taking a deep breath.
“Well,” Lucy started. “That was fun. I never want to attend a wedding again, though.”
Lockwood grinned.
“It was fun, wasn’t it? Successful, too—”
DEPRAC sirens wailed directly outside. I groaned, dropping my rapier.
Someone pushed the door open. Kipps stepped in, whistling as he glanced around.
The room was the same mess as it had been, but he couldn’t have known that. It must have looked worse, what with me slumped against a wall, Lucy standing a few feet across. Lockwood and Daniel were still by the whiteboard.
“You certainly put up a fight.”
“Well,” Lockwood crossed the room, nodding. “Well, you know us.”

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

analyzingdragon106

aka CatchingBlue120

Bump!

• Posted at:

THE NAMES TAYLOR. GIRLS RULE! RP Queen!

I like Miraculous Ladybug!

I'm just a girl who likes to rp.

I also like to write stories.

Book Rp!

Front sm

hydrahoneydew9

Why is Julian so fascinated with Alexa-

• Posted at:

ocean 

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

(thanks eris)

#Saveisaac2k18

#wafflesarefriends

Front sm

risingqueen14

chapter five

While we were fighting Julian, the others were having a small adventure of their own.
First, they saw Alyssa’s spirit enter the sanctuary. They followed her. Unlike Julian, she was a simple Shade. Her Source was a faded wedding band, which had rolled under a broken pew.
Not long after, they heard the flare go off. We’d already made it past the door. Holly called DEPRAC immediately. Hayden had twisted his ankle, though no one would say how or when.
Two DEPRAC vans had arrived, several UPRA (United Psychic Research Agency) kids with them.
I sat by a van, taking in the new scene. Lockwood and Daniel spoke to a man—Inspector Barnes, I think. I’d only seen him in the papers, but he seemed grumpier than I’d expected…then again, we did destroy part of the church, so I can’t blame him.
A medic checked on Hayden. George, Holly, Kipps and Lucy chatted a few feet away from him.
Honestly, I was glad no one needed me yet. It gave me some time to reflect on what had happened.
Well, I’d gotten my role model to help on a case. We blew up part of the building, which I gotta say was a first for the Ameara Agency. I’d had ghost-lock worse than I could remember. I hit a wall. Then…
There weren’t six people there. There were four...who were those two shapes? It wasn’t just my vision doubling; there would have been eight shapes then. There weren’t any other ghosts there—
…Were there? It might have been—no, it couldn’t have—well, maybe—
“Hey.”
Daniel sat by me. A bandage had been wrapped around his right hand.
“What’s that for?” I pointed to it.
“Oh, that stupid silver-glass case…Slipped, cut me when it fell. It’s not that deep, though.”
“Harper’s gonna freak,” I flashed him a smile. “What with your hand, Hayden’s ankle…”
“For once, you don’t have any injuries.” He glanced at me, smirking. “How’s that feel?”
That might not have been true; I’d had a dull headache since the fight. I didn’t want to talk about anything that happened during the case, though.
“Weird,” I stared at my hands. “But I’ll help Harper scold you later.”
“What are you thinking about, Alexa?”
“What?”
“You’re never this quiet. I wasn’t even there for the entire case, and I know it was hard for you.”
My mouth went dry as he faced me.
“So…what happened?”
Staring into his eyes, there was no trace of the resentment I’d seen the day before. Instead…I don’t know what was there.
I guess I did want to talk about the case…I just wasn’t sure I could yet. I shook my head.
“Okay.” He looked away.
We sat in silence, watching supervisors telling their agents where to spread salt, what could be other Sources. They didn’t believe us that there were only two, maybe three ghosts. Lockwood talked to reporters; he’d asked for us to contribute, but I didn’t feel like it. I knew why Daniel didn’t. We watched Hayden meet Inspector Barnes, probably annoying him.
“So,” I took a deep breath. “It’s been a weird night.”
Without looking up, I told him everything. Touching the glass, momentarily seeing Alyssa, Julian’s apparent interest in me, and…yes, the other two shapes.
He thought for a moment.
“Maybe it was your parents.”
Something flared inside me again—this time, I knew what it was. It was anger and pain.
“That’s not reasonable,” I crossed my arms. “My parents have been dead for six years.”
“I know that. Julian and Alyssa have been dead for sixty years yet here we are.”
“What are you saying?”
“I’m saying that I think your parents are still here. They’ve been haunting you this whole time, you just never realized. Or, you didn’t want to realize.”
“They have no reason to. It’s not them.”
He sighed.
“Alexa, you’ve told me about the nightmares. It’s been…what, every other night for five years? That’s not normal.”
Maybe it wasn’t, but that didn’t mean I wanted him to say it. He couldn’t even wait until we were home; we were still sitting by the DEPRAC van. Everyone else was talking, several feet away. It’s possible that they heard it, and…look, having nightmares about your parents’ deaths isn’t exactly something you want other agents or government officials to hear about.
It makes me sound crazy. In this business, the crazy ones are dead.
“I’m not insane, Daniel.”
“I didn’t say you were, but what’s happening to you is.”
“What’s happening to me is a part of me.”
“You’re not your situation—”
A night-cab pulled up by the gate. A tall, blonde girl practically fell out; immediately, she ran to us.
“Where’s Hayden?” It was Harper, of course.
I gestured lazily in his direction.
“What’s wrong with his ankle?”
“Go ask him.”
“What she means,” Daniel interjected. “is why don’t you—calmly, preferably—go check on him?”
I shook my head.
“No, that’s not what I meant. I meant don’t bother me when you could just ask him.”
“What, you don’t even care?” She brushed her hair back.
“Oh, I care. Since you do too, I’m not sure why you’re still standing here.”
Harper stared at me for a moment, before sighing and running to Hayden.
I know, I know. Not my proudest nor my nicest moment, but c’mon. You’ve read about the night I had; I didn’t have the energy left to calm her endless concerns.
Sighing, I stood up.
“I’m going home.”
Daniel didn’t respond. I didn’t look back. Instead I walked to Ameara Agency HQ—which is also our house.
It wasn’t my smartest choice. It was a good twenty, twenty-five minutes away. As horrible as that case had been, the journey home was almost worse.
Every corner I turned, I always thought I saw someone; turning in front of me, walking in the street, looking out the window. There was never anyone else there. I was just paranoid…at least, I hope.
I didn’t realize I didn’t have my keys with me until I made it to the front porch. Luckily, my bedroom window was unlocked. I clambered through it. Shutting it behind me, I tossed my backpack to the floor.
After changing into shorts and a different t-shirt, I went to the kitchen and made a pot of decaf coffee. Despite how great every other agent says it is, tea isn’t that amazing; on or off a case.
I took my cup to my room, setting it on the nightstand as I layed on my bed. A few minutes passed before the others arrived. I didn’t say hi; I let sleep take over instead.
I finally let the nightmares return.

At first, I wasn’t sure what was happening; everything was dark and blurry. Then, with the ding of an elevator, the dark was replaced with the dull white walls of the hospital. I was running down the hall to Room B117. I crashed through the door, my vision blurring again. Salty tears poured down my face; I could barely make out a woman on the hospital bed. One pale hand hung off the bed. Her deep-brown curls were spread out behind her, her amber eyes staring up at the ceiling…She was my mother. She’d flat-lined a few minutes before. I don’t remember what caused it. I remember I screamed.
Someone spoke behind me; their voice was calm and far away.
Next I was shuffling to Room C141. My father was in there. He’d been sick a while, I think. His dark hair had grown so that it almost covered his eyes. The last thing he did was smile weakly at me, his brown eyes meeting my hazel. His smile faded. I didn’t scream. I was too numb to do anything except stand there, staring at his limp body.
Suddenly I was out of the hospital. It was a while after curfew, but I walked calmly down the street. I saw a night-watch crew from Fittes Agency, so I went to them. Their backs were turned to me. I barely said hello before one of them spun around, wild-eyed, impaling me with their rapier.
In the dream, I fell. In reality, I jumped up with tears streaming down my face, breathing shakily.
It was fine. I was fine. I was still in my bed, the covers thrown to the floor like usual, but…there was something glimmering faintly outside my window, though the sun hadn’t risen quite yet. I didn’t check what it was. Instead, I left the room, gently shutting the door behind me.
As quietly as I could, tears still spilling, I walked down the hall. The last door was opened a crack; a lamp was on inside.
I pushed the door open. Daniel was sitting on his bed, reading a torn-up novel.
“Dan?” He looked up. “…You might be right.”

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

risingqueen14

songs:

chapter one - Done by Beth Crowley

two - Castle by Halsey

three - The Dark by Beth Crowley

four - Time-Bomb by All Time Low

five - Gasoline by Halsey

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.

Front sm

hydrahoneydew9

Woah! That's really good.

• Posted at:

ocean 

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

(thanks eris)

#Saveisaac2k18

#wafflesarefriends

Front sm

risingqueen14

chapter six

"Alexa?"
Daniel shook me awake, literally. I was still in his room; I'd slept on his floor, since neither of us thought I should be alone yet.
"What time is it?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.
"Almost three. Lockwood's on the phone, he wants you."
Sighing, I stood and hurried to the living room. Hayden was sitting by the phone, smiling and chatting quickly.
I waited in the doorway for him to notice me.
"Even if she doesn't, I'd--oh, she's here!" He grinned at me, moving the phone from his ear. "Alexa, Lockwood wants your help!"
"Wait, what?"
"He said there's a case tonight that he--"
"Hayden, let me talk to him, okay?" I crossed the room.
"Okay!"
He handed me the phone, running to the kitchen.
"Hello?"
"Hi, Lockwood."
"Alexa! Could you come over?"
"Is this about the case?"
"Oh, Hayden told you already?"
"Yeah, he seems excited about it. I think we already have one tonight, though."
"Well, that's alright. I was really just hoping for you and Daniel, so if it's not a big one..."
"It's not." Excluding last night, it never was. "We'll be there in half an hour or so."
"Fantastic, we'll see you then."
He hung up, giving me a chance to process what was happening.
I was going to help my role model's agency with a case, the night after they helped mine. No matter how small the case was (chances are, it wasn't, with how popular they are), that was too good an opportunity to pass up.
"Daniel!"
He poked his head out from the kitchen. "What?"
"Grab your coat, we're going to Lockwood's for a meeting."
He raised an eyebrow.
"You asked for them again?"
I smiled.
"No...he asked for us."

Standing again at 35 Portland Row, I rang the bell. The door opened a minute later, Quill Kipps stepping out.
"You're late."
"By what, five minutes?" Daniel scoffed.
"Eight, actually. Come in."
We followed him to the main room, where the others were waiting.
"Ah, here they are!" Lockwood stood. "Did you sleep well?"
I smiled politely as Daniel and I sat across from him.
"I suppose--" Daniel started.
"What case is it?"
Lockwood leaned forward, smiling. "You want to skip the small talk, I see."
"I do." I nodded, my face flushing suddenly.
"Very well." He motioned to George.
He readjusted his glasses, glancing down at a stack of papers.
"We'll be going to Tacenda Hospital, established almost 40 years--"
"Just the case, George."
Reluctantly, he set the papers on the table.
"A few doctors decided recently they want to reopen it, though given the history they shouldn't. They want us to check it out."
"How many Visitors do you expect?" Daniel asked.
"Oh, quite a few. Many more than last night."
"Why do you only want us?"
"You clearly have more training and control than Hayden--"
"Also his ankle," Kipps added.
"His sister didn't seem too thrilled to meet us either."
"So, will you do it or not?"
Daniel and I glanced at each other.
"We'll do it." I smiled.
"Great! Kipps, go call the girls." Lockwood turned to me. "Meet us back here at four, we'll have two night-cabs ready."
He walked us to the door. Daniel stepped out, waving as he headed home.
"Oh, Alexa?" He grinned. "Maybe bring two flares this time, hm?"
I gave a thumbs-up, face flushing again. I hurried to catch up to Daniel.

"I can't believe you agreed to this!" Harper cried, nearly dropping a glass. "Hayden was hurt last night, none of you slept for more than a few hours--"
"We have to do it," I interrupted. "Look, they just want me and Daniel. Hayden won't be anywhere near the case, and not sleeping is why I have coffee."
Daniel looked up from last week's newspaper.
"Harper, the only case we have tonight is a Shade by an old tree. You handle that, then come back and watch Hayden. Alexa and I are going. Okay? Okay."
He stood up, pulling me with him.
"We need to get our supplies."
So, we did. We attached our rapiers to our belts, filled our backpacks with a few thermoses, silver-glass cases, as many iron chains and salt-bombs as we could, and a few flashlights. Yes, I made sure to slip an extra flare into mine. Daniel didn’t seem to mind; he glanced at it and shrugged, but didn’t question it.
I ran to Hayden's room to say goodbye. He was sitting on his bed, his hurt ankle propped up on the nightstand.
"Hey, kid." I stood in the doorway. "Dan and I are going. You, uh...be careful, I guess?"
He nodded, glancing at me before turning back to his ankle.
"You know...I have some comic books in my closet, if you get bored glaring at your foot."
"Which ones?" He spun around, his leg almost falling off the stand.
"Mostly Justice League. They're in a box on the middle shelf, you should be able to reach it."
He smiled. "Thanks, Alexa."
"No problem. I'll see you later, okay?" I smiled, waving as I left the hall.
Daniel was waiting outside the door.
"Ready?"
"Ready."
We walked back to Lockwood's.

By the time we got there, the others were waiting by the night-cabs.
Lockwood was talking to Lucy. He waved us over.
"If tonight goes well, I'll--hello, you two." He flashed a smile. "Ready to go?"
I nodded.
"Great, why don't you two ride with us? We'll catch you up on the way."
"Sounds--Daniel?"
He was heading to the other cab, which I thought was strange.
"Uh...I guess you just get me." I smiled nervously.
Lucy and I sat in the backseat, our bags stacked in between us. Lockwood sat in the front seat, immediately chatting with the driver. I think his name was Jake.
A few minutes passed, filled with glances and awkward smiles between me and Lucy. I pushed the divider open.
"So, are you going to catch me up yet?"
He did. It took about half the ride.
The Tacenda Hospital had been established some years ago, by a few...less than professional doctors. The word "tacenda" means something better left unsaid, and that's exactly what this story is.
The doctors weren't just doctors; they were murderers, all but two. When they saw what was happening, they were killed too.
What the staff did was promise relief from whatever--migraines, broken bones, even heartbreak. Well, they technically did do that...by overdosing some of them on medication or performing surgeries and “slipping up”. A few of the victims were simply struck on the head.
This went on for five years (why people still went there, I’ll never understand), until doctors Richard Pillar and Jennifer Wiseman were hired. After a few days, Richard and Jennifer teamed up, going to the authorities. There was supposed to be a trial, but they both suddenly died. It couldn't have been an accident, despite what the authorities and articles said. They were found right outside the hospital, blood seeping through their clothes the day before the trial.
The place was shut down a few weeks later. No one knows how many victims there were. We'd find out soon enough how many of them remained.
"We should be there in ten minutes," Lockwood glanced at us in the mirror. "Are you two ready?"
"Ready to cleanse a haunted hospital?" Lucy asked. "Sure, why not."

• Posted at:

Charity

i'm stupid with love.