Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Branch: Janus

Hello, hello! Welcome, my friends, to the one and only official rewrite of Gold Digger *cheers and applause*! For those that haven't heard, yes, I am back on the MB for a limited time only to finish the story that I started writing several years ago. I have explained my reason as to why I am back in a previous post, so if you wanna check that out, feel free to do so. 

The reason why I am rewriting this story and not continuing it is simple - being out in the world the last couple of years has greatly altered my view on many, many things, and to properly do you justice, I feel like I should start over and tell this tale in better, more genuine sort of way. That said, the basis of the story will still remain the same, but a few details will change or be omitted entirely. Also, the story does NOT follow the books completely, as I have only read up to the third book in the second series, and that was such a long time ago, that I don't fully remember everything. 

My goal is to finish writing this story by September 1st, because after that I'll start being busy again and won't be around as much. 

A quick shout out to all the old MBers out there - thank you for your continuous support, I appreciate you so much. Anyway, that being said, let's get this party started!

Summary

After successfully escaping the family business and working day and night to make her dreams a reality, 27-year-old Amy Cahill finally had everything she could have ever wanted - a beautiful apartment in New York, two illustrious careers, and one loving boyfriend by the name of Jake Rosenbloom with whom she shares her whole life with. But with the sudden announcement of her younger brother's fast approaching nuptials, Amy's world seemingly turns upside down overnight. Yet, time proves to be an unlikely ally, as our heroine finds that she is not the only one affected by this sudden development, as many others (even the bride and groom themselves) have problems and secrets of their own, more relatable than she could have ever imagined.

The first chapter is scheduled to be released on Tuesday!! I hope you guys enjoy!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

Please tell us why you'd like to report this post

dawndancer15 aka ButterflyActress33

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Who died and made her a Hallmark card? - Amy Cahill

Third chapter released Tuesday the 25th! 

Read the new and improved rewrite at: forums/topics/287662

Front sm

ravenfairy187

Branch: Lucian

I'm excited!

• Posted at:

Lani

#Team: Naidia Mira Leon 

#FreaksLikeMe<3

#WEAREFAMILY

#ICHOOSEHAPPY

#I'MNOTCLAY

#IAMTITANIUM

#REMEMBERCLEV

#NEVERFORGETSPHINX

#CALLONME

Lyric of the week: What do you want from me? I'm not America's Sweetheart

i

#Josmia

#Glizabeth

Front sm

writerbookworm21

Looking forward to it.

• Posted at:

Veronica

Catholic  bookworm Titaniac Swiftie Twain  

I've had the time of my life fighting dragons with you.

~Long Live (Taylor Swift)

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

*squeals* I am so excited to share this with you guys! Before I jump right into this, I wanted to say thanks so much for reading, it really means a lot. My apologies if the story doesn't exactly follow the books, or if it isn't completely canon - its been a while. Anyway, here is the first chapter! Enjoy!

Chapter 1: Another Day 

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." - Albert Cammus 

***

It was just another day . . .

***

“And that is why one must always create characters who are real, and flawed, and not always perfect. Perfection is boring, and most importantly, it is misleading to readers everywhere. It is a lie subscribing to our own societal standards - barriers that we as humans fight every day to break down. So, don’t be a fraud, be genuine, and you can be guaranteed success.” Silence.

Ding, ding, ding!

Amy Cahill faced the senior class students as they hurriedly rose out of their chairs, and grabbed their backpacks as their teacher - Mrs. Olsen - shouted, “Well, I think that wraps up class for today. Don’t forget, you have an essay due tomorrow morning, and we will be discussing The Stranger and it’s stance on existentialism on Friday, so be prepared - I will not be taking in late work!”

She turned to her guest lecturer and smiled. “Thank you so much, Amy, honestly, I don’t know what we would do without you coming in from time to time, but you know kids, sometimes they just need a little push towards greatness.”

Amy smiled back at the elderly woman. “I'm happy to help, truly Mrs. Olsen. You've got a talented bunch, so no need to worry about them.”

“Oh, you are just the sweetest, dear. Riverbridge High appreciates you nonetheless. It's always good to have a successful writer around to teach us amateurs a couple of things!” laughed the elderly woman. “I won't keep you waiting, dear. I'm sure you must be aching to get home.”

Packing up her own stuff as quickly as her hands would allow her, Amy shot Mrs. Olsen another grin and waved goodbye. Well, at least they weren't completely awful today, she thought as she made her way down the halls of the high school and out of brick and mortar building. It was a chilly January afternoon in New York City, and the streets were packed with busy people rushing through their busy lives, determined to get to their final destination.Yellow cabs lined the roads, honking at others to get out of the way, or to simply move faster. After all, time was of the essence in The Big Apple - if you can't do it fast enough, you're simply not good enough.

Amy waved her hands and yelled, “Taxi!” and after about a minute, one pulled over and she got in. “Manhattan, please.”

Looking out the window at the city that had become her home, she thought about her day. Being a guest lecturer at various schools wasn’t always the most “fun” job, but it was rewarding in its own right. After she had her short story published in The New York Times, she found that she was more popular with the intellectual crowd than she originally thought, and was requested by many eager teachers throughout New York to come to speak at their high schools, and sometimes even colleges. And well, she couldn’t just say no, after all, there could be a William Shakespeare sitting among the young pupils, or a Jane Austen, and maybe she could inspire them in one way or another. It was her duty to help out, if she could.

“Thanks,” she said as she got out of the cab and made her way to her apartment. Well, her and her boyfriend’s apartment, that is. It really was a nice place. A trendy, modern type home, in a good neighborhood at the heart of the city. They both moved out to New York for college, thinking that it would be a good change after all that happened with Cahills, and the Vespers, and such. Anyway, it was good to escape the drama for a while, and after they graduated, they thought that maybe it was good to escape the drama indefinitely. It wasn’t running away, per say, more like . . . turning over a new leaf. A fresh start.

“Jake, I’m home!” Silence.

She sighed, and glanced at her watch. Five o’clock. Jake Rosenbloom worked long hours at the Murphy & Sons Law Firm, so she really shouldn’t have been surprised that he wasn’t home yet. At twenty-nine, he was a rising star, zooming through the ranks, much faster than anyone would have ever expected, and was on his way to becoming one of the greatest lawyers in the state, perhaps even the country. Amy walked over to the dresser and picked up a picture of the both of them in Central Park, right before the start of their first semester at NYU. She let out a small smile. It’s been eleven years since they started dating. A bumpy road, but one that she wouldn’t change for anything. Sometimes she wondered where their future was heading, whether they were still on the same track, but those doubts were expelled from her head the moment they entered it. He was her “epic love” after all, and doubting never served anyone’s purpose well.

Shrugging off her worries, Amy put the photograph back in its place and headed to the kitchen to make some coffee. Lots of coffee. It was going to be a long night, and she wasn’t particularly looking forward to banging her head against the wall repeatedly, hoping to clear up her writer’s block. Yet, it was a necessary evil. Yes, she was a writer, but few knew of how far her writing abilities actually extended to. True, she did publish some cool pieces in several magazines and notable newspapers, but her true passion has always lied in books. So, she published a few of those as well. Five best-sellers, to be exact. Of course, no one besides Dan, Nellie, and her publisher actually knew of her little side hobby, but she kind of liked it that way.

Regina Devlin was a strong, beautiful, independent young woman, who was unafraid of what others thought, after all. She wrote the most beautiful and touching stories of far off adventures, life long friendships, and poignant romances. She was confident, smart, and witty, and in short, she was everything Amy had always wanted to be. She was good enough. In a way, she was the greatest character Amy had ever created. She was the mask Amy put on when she needed a little confidence boost. Regina helped her strive to become a better writer with every word she put on paper. She was the new and improved Amy Cahill.

Filling her teacup to the brim, Amy plopped down into her chair and glanced warily at her computer keyboard and then at the clock. Five thirty.

Here goes nothing.

***

Dan Cahill wouldn’t exactly consider himself shy or unconfident or even lost for words. No, those traits were usually associated with his overachieving and sometimes overbearing stuttering sister. Tonight, however, was really making him reassess himself completely.  

One does not simply create multi-million dollar video games and be nervous for dates, he thought to himself. The sweat stains around his arm pit area were adamant on proving him otherwise. Get a grip, and some dignity, while you're at it!

He ran a hand through his sandy blonde hair and drew in a long breath. This wasn’t going to work. It simply wouldn’t do. He must be sick or something, there was no way that he was having an actual fashion emergency. What was he, a Kabra clone?

He needed to calm down. It was just Veronica. His Veronica. And he was sure about this, he was really sure about this. In every man’s life, there comes a point like this one, where he must make a big decision - the right choice! - or simply walk away. All or nothing. So why was he so . . . nervous? It was pathetic really. Like, come on, he was a billionaire, living in the new and improved Cahill mansion, with his best friend - his cat. Who doesn’t want that?

He just needed to get through those four little words. Will you . . . will you . . . will you . . .

“GOD, CHEESES, SALADIN, FUUUUUU - “

***

Ian Kabra never really knew exactly what he was painting, all he really knew was that it had to be perfect. Today was proving to be the most odd day - work was easy, nobody dared to question him, there was some actual free time . . . Something wasn't right, and he was going to get to the bottom of it. He never did like being out of the loop.

“Bernard, some water, if you please, I'm parched!” he called to his favorite butler.

“Certainly, Mr. Kabra.” It sure paid off being fabulously wealthy.

At twenty-seven he still couldn't believe his luck. Not only did he survive all of his crazy family's antics, but he - against all odds - actually thrived in the aftermath. Taking over his family's art dealership, leading the Lucian branch, tripling his wealth so that now eight generations of the Kabra line would never had to work again if they didn't want to . . . It took some fire, but he did it. He made himself proud. Well, prouder.

And now, he was left to enjoy the fruits of his labour. Peace, that is.

Ever since he was a child, he relied heavily on drawing and painting because it helped him think. He wouldn't ever admit it though - wouldn't want to get mistaken for some mindless bloody Janus. The prodigal son of Vikram and Isabel Kabra could do better than that, after all. But now that neither were there to constantly criticize his life choices, he could allow himself to enjoy from time to time. It was his salvation.

And today he was thinking about how wrong everything seemed. How there was something missing from his perfect little bubble. He couldn’t put a finger on it, but he could take a wild guess. Could it possibly be - no, he shall not think about that bloody idea.

He sighed, dejected. It's a phase. I'm just lon -

“Blast!” His hand had slipped, and his perfect picture was ruined.

***

“For God’s sake, Stephanie! You do not mix my line with Gucci! It gives people the wrong impression, don’t you know anything?!”

Natalie Kabra was not a patient woman, nor was she a woman that handled idiotic mishaps well. She did not go through all that very expensive, time consuming education to have her subordinates - that are getting paid handsomely to do their jobs, mind you - muck up her hard work.

“Lisa, DON’T YOU DARE put that red dress on her! She’ll look like a tomato! Honestly, is anyone here in their right mind today, or do you all have your heads shoved so far up your - ”

“Ms. Kabra!” rang the voice of her assistant. Just in the nick of time.

Natalie let out a deep breath and rubbed her temples. “What Julie, and make it snappy, today is not a good day for testing the limits of my patience.”  

The mousy woman cowered a little under her glare. “Um, well, Milan called, and they said they can’t have the pieces in by tomorrow, but they can get them to you the day after. One of the models has gotten sick, so we’re short. Oh, and your brother called with a reminder to make sure that you eat lunch, he even sent some over - isn’t that sweet?”

The bejeweled Kabra woman looked distastefully at the brown paper take-out bag before snatching it out of her assistant’s hands.

“Tell Milan, that my fashion show is tomorrow, so if they want to get paid - no, no, if they want to LIVE they better find a way to get those pieces to me. Grab Meghan from the first floor, the pretty, skinny, not-to-bright blonde one, and say that she’s walking the runway tomorrow, offer her my congratulations. If she refuses, tell her that she’s walking, or she’s fired. As for my brother, call him back immediately and tell him to never send me peasant food again, I’m a grown woman with a very successful fashion line and magazine, I even have my own building to prove it. I can manage to buy my own lunch, thank you,” she said, as she took a bite out of her garlic bread. “Ugh, the carbs.” Turning on her heel, she took another bite and headed down one of the immaculate white hallways.

“Wait, Ms. Kabra! One more thing!” Julie piped up.

“I don’t care!” Natalie called.

“But it’s important! Mr. Beckett called and wanted to confirm your date tonight!” Natalie stopped abruptly. She closed her eyes, let out a deep sigh, and turned around to face her assistant.

“Send my apologies and cancel that,” she said. “I'm bored with him.”

It wasn't just him that she was bored with.

***

It was 11:55 PM in New York when the phone rang.

“You won't believe it but . . . I'm getting married, Ames.”

And Jake came home to a shattered teacup.

***

It was just another day . . .

Oh, the drama!!! What do you guys think? Let me know, and look out for the next chapter on Friday!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Branch: Ekaterina

ooh, I like it! Even Natalie is still alive!

• Posted at:

SHADIA HERE!

read,read,read!Books are amazing.They take where ever you want to go,you meet new friends, YOU HAVE SO MUCH FUN! ReadingisfunandIloveit.Don't stop reading,it'llmakeyourmindsmarter.Pickupabooktoday. 

Like I say,"Just Read It!!":)

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@FairyMermaid5258: I'm so glad! :)

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

tsunamidragon1384

YESS NATALIE IS ALIVE IN THIS SHE IS MY 2ND FAVORITE CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted at:

#I'M 

Jano

Lucian

Metahuman

Greencloak

Jedi

Avenger

Demigod

Shadow Child

Witch

Teen Titan 

THE BEST EVER!

Jesus LIVES!!! 

#AhsokaLives!

Front sm

aquacalm659

That was exciting , what  Jake did was rude.

Bravo!!!!!!!!

#LUCIAN

• Posted at:

My name is agent aqua calm 659.

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

TsunamiDragon1384: I know, she's one of my favorites too! I honestly was crushed when I heard about her death in Day of Doom, it was awful, she deserved so much better . . . which is one of the reasons as to why I made her character essential in this story, she's just too important. 

AquaCalm659: I'm glad you liked it, thank you! And yeah, I totally agree, but what can I say, that's Jake for you!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

snakedancing13

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I read this story ages ago, when I was doing some research! I am so glad you have decided to complete it! I am so excited!!!

~Krista~

• Posted at:

Recipient of Mickey's Respect

Krista the Key

Somewhere beyond the barricade

Is there a world you long to see?

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Krista: Oh my gosh, I actually remember you, you were always so nice and sweet! I'm so glad that you've decided to read this rewrite! XD Enjoy, girlie, and thank you so much!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

snakedancing13

Vvanessa: O__O But.... I don't think we ever met..... There was another Krista a loooooooong ways back, but I'm pretty sure we never met...

~Krista~

• Posted at:

Recipient of Mickey's Respect

Krista the Key

Somewhere beyond the barricade

Is there a world you long to see?

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Krista: Oh lololololol, I'm probably thinking about that Krista then cause I remember talking to a Janus Krista on one of my threads once, I thought it was you haha. My bad!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

spyunicorn1

aka FieryLucian3

VANESSA OH MY GOODNESS YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH I WISHED YOU'D CONTINUE THIS STORY AND NOW YOU ARE AND LIKE WHAT IS LYFE OMG

Not sure if you remember me, but I'm Chu and I was on the MB about a year before you left, methinks. Gold Digger was one of my favorite Amians back then and like ahhhhhhhhhhhh this is so amazing *falls over*

• Posted at:

Chu |child of lyzzy + keir :D

professional craftinator.

hi Im train Im aceflux and I cannot lie

"In 2022, who was best man at Dan and Phil's wedding?"

"A terrifying hybrid of of Chris and PJ."

"Correct!"

#It's A Chain Reaction of Compassion

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Chu: FIERYLUCIAN3!!! I DO REMEMBER YOU!!! Oh my god, you are too sweet!! This means so much that you are reading this story again, you have no idea. Thank you for your constant support, honestly it means so much!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

oh my gosh! i am so excited for the next chapter. i look at calendar everyday and i am like, darn it , not today. But i can't believe friday is tomorrow!!

• Posted at:

SHADIA HERE!

read,read,read!Books are amazing.They take where ever you want to go,you meet new friends, YOU HAVE SO MUCH FUN! ReadingisfunandIloveit.Don't stop reading,it'llmakeyourmindsmarter.Pickupabooktoday. 

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: Awwww, thank you!! I hope you will like the next chapter, it sure was interesting writing it haha!!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Well, it's time for another chapter! A quick thank you to all my readers right now - you guys are the best! Without further ado, here is the next chapter!

Chapter 2: Powers of Persuasion

“Nothing is so painful to the human spirit as a great and sudden change.” - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Though a lot, A LOT of unfortunate things have been said about her boyfriend - mostly by those who have spectacularly failed in one or more areas of their miserable lives, and were looking for an outlet - Amy has never heard the adjective “slow” being used by any of his many critics. Too serious, sure, poor at time management, sure, overly handsome, most definitely. But those were just the regular things normal jealous people would say, and the couple has learned not to pay that type of talk too much attention. Slow . . . why, no one would dare insult Jake Rosenbloom like that.

It was with great sadness - to say the least - that today Amy was tempted to make history with that one four-letter word. 

“Come again?”

She sighed, and ran her pale hands through her hair. Oh, please don’t make me repeat it again, I swear I will be sick this time. “Dan’s getting married.”

Jake blinked several times as if in a trance. Nope, it still didn’t seem like that reality was setting in for him. “But like, to a real person?”

“Yeah, go figure.” Of all the things that could have possibly happened ever, an asteroid hitting Earth would have caused less chaos in Amy’s brain than the foreboding news of her restless, immature, twenty-four year old brother getting hitched out of the blue, and before her. But mostly just getting hitched in general.

Jake started raising his hand as if to ask a question, but never really reached “peak arm height” before starting to laugh hysterically. He grabbed hold of the nearest arm chair to steady himself before he fell flat on his face, and Amy rolled her eyes. Well, I’m glad somebody finds my brother’s recklessness downright hilarious.

“Jake, seriously!” she yelled. “This isn’t funny!” But Jake only laughed harder.

“I can’t breathe,” he wheezed. “Who was stupid enough to agree to this insane plan?”

Crossing her arms, Amy slid down to the floor and sighed, blowing some strands of auburn hair out of her face in the process. “Veronica O’Malley. His girlfriend.”

Jake stopped his momentary childish outburst to frown at the mention of Dan’s fiancee’s name, and Amy spared a glance at him. Even in her foul mood, she couldn’t help but admire that though his face was scrunched up like a paper bag, he was still devastatingly handsome. “Who?”

“Exactly.”

Her boyfriend chuckled, plopping down into the previously mentioned armchair as she crawled closer to him and lay her head in his lap, pouting. “I met her once, a while ago, I don’t even remember what she looks like, to be completely honest. But they’ve been dating for only a year, and I just don’t know why they’re rushing into this! It’s not like there’s some deadline they have to meet, why not just keep dating and getting to know each other?”

“You mean like us?” he said with a lazy half smile.

“Yeah,” Amy grimaced. “Like us.”

Oh, if only that were true. After all, when one has been dating their significant other for eleven years, well, then that’s a different story completely. Maybe “not exactly like us” should have been the right thing to say.

God no, don’t think like that! she silently scolded herself.

She should honestly consider herself luckier than most in the love department and be grateful for what she has now. Yeah, maybe Jake hasn’t popped the question yet, and yeah, maybe it was a little disappointing for Little Miss Cahill who just wanted to glide down the aisle in her white dress and settle into her predetermined and peaceful future. But after a stern talking to, Little Miss Cahill got some sense knocked into her, and remembered that she is a feminist rockstar who doesn’t need a ring to solidify her relationship status. Heaven help her if she becomes “that girl” who sends women back a couple of decades when their primal usage extended to finding a husband and popping out a few babies. Yes, she decided that she was quite good with her current situation, happy even. Maybe it wasn’t ideal, and maybe it wasn’t what she wanted, but it was enough. She had what she needed.

And yet . . .

“I’m just wondering what made him rush into this,” she whispered. “You know Dan. He’s not the settling down type.”

Jake stroked her hair absentmindedly and nodded. There was a hint of a smile in his voice when he said, “Well, people change, Ames, and love is a great motivator.”

Though she disagreed with that sentiment, believing that no one actually changed, they just evolved, Amy kept quiet, not wanting to start an argument this late at night - well, early in the morning technically. Instead she just snuggled further into Jake and inhaled his scent. Pinewood, like always. She liked that he was attempting to make her feel better, but she couldn’t help but worry. Dan was her baby brother, and as his big sister it was her responsibility to forever question his actions so that they wouldn’t result in consequences with the potential to ruin his life. And throughout her own life, she honestly did try her best to keep him safe and sound, away from the big bad world.

She let out a long breath. Too bad it wasn’t meant to be.

“He wants me to be maid-of-honor, you know.”

Jake raised a quizzical brow and met Amy’s eyes. “Really now?”

“I know, right?” she scoffed and played with his hands. “Apparently Veronica doesn’t have any siblings or close girl friends, and since Dan wanted me to play a big part in his big day, he suggested that I should fill in the role. It’s just that . . . “  

“What?”

Pause.

“It would involve me going back to Attleboro until the wedding is over.”

And that’s where she expected the conversation to end - with a firm no and some solid squibbling from both parties. However, even though she could practically feel Jake forming his signature scowl at the mere thought of his girl not in New York by his side, all she got was silence. Amy didn’t quite like it.

“. . . Which is why I said no, of course,” she reassured, stroking his arms gently for extra effect. “I mean, pausing my life for some wedding? That’s ridiculous, and it’s not going to happen.”

Still no response. “Jake?”

“I think you should go,” he stated abruptly. “Yeah. I think that would be a good idea.”

I definitely just hallucinated.

“What?” He couldn’t be serious. There’s no way can’t-take-a-minute-away-from-my-love-even-just-to-breathe Jake would let her go away for months at a time. They never spent that much time apart, even during the Vespers situation. “Jake, do you remember why we left Massachussetts, or more specifically, how we left Massachusetts?” Like, with the promise to never return?

Tensing suddenly, Jake closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “How could I ever forget.” Amy felt his dismay at the thought of their haggard past, and it pained her to see him mentally reliving it within the span of five seconds. She couldn’t help him though, all she could do was be there. And how was she supposed to do that from Attleboro?

Suddenly, Jake said, “But Ames, that was over a decade ago, and we went back, remember?”

“Yeah, for two days tops, every other year during Christmas - “

“And it was good!” he exclaimed. “It was better than good.” He sighed again and scratched his head. “I know we left because of the family business, but Amy, this isn’t that type of family business that you would want to miss out on, I can guarantee it. If you miss this - this huge thing, I don’t think you’ll be able to come back from that. You’ll be regretting it for the rest of your life, and I don’t want that for you.”

It was really her stubbornness that was coming back to bite her in her behind right now. Logically speaking, he had a point, but Amy’s brain just wasn’t willing to admit defeat yet. “But what about you? The firm won’t even let you go for a couple of days, let alone a couple of months. I can do my work from anywhere, but you will have to stay here! I just - “ She let out an unsatisfied harrumph.

Jake laughed softly. “Hon, I love that you love me, and want to be with me - trust me, the sentiment is returned in full, but this will be good for you! Think of it as another Cahill adventure . . . just with a lot less explosions and secret serums.” She felt his hand run through her hair, and although unwillingly, she let herself relax. Damn him and his powers of persuasion. “Trust me, this will be fun. You’ll spend more time with Dan, Veronica, and Nellie, and by the end of it, you won’t even want to go back to New York.”

Amy scoffed once more. “I highly doubt that.”

She felt Jake getting frustrated at her lack of cooperation. “Amy, look at me.” Grudgingly, she obliged. “You won’t even miss me.”

He believed it - well, he wanted to believe it, she could tell. But oh, how wrong he was. Amy shot him a shy grin and moved a stray hair out of his warm, brown eyes. “I can’t even imagine a world where that could possibly be true.”

In that tender moment, Jake leaned down and captured her lips with his. The couple relished the contact, however brief it was. It was always good to know that even during a disagreement actions of love prevailed.

And he will be giving up all of this! Amy thought. What an idiot.

“Fine!” she exclaimed, coming up for some air. “You win! But only because your powers of persuasion are impossible to resist.”

Jake squealed - yes, actually squealed - and showered Amy with more kisses around her face.

“Oh, stop it!” she laughed. “And hand me my phone!”

Jake made a faux sad face, but did as he was told, however, not without placing more kisses on his girlfriend as she rang up her brother.

“Yo yo, ma, this is King Dan Cahill, inventor of everything fun and awesome, and you’ve reached my voicemail, suckaaaahhhhhh! Leave a short message - I repeat, make it short, I am too busy living my life to deal with this. Better yet, text me that ish, we are in the twenty-first century after all. Peace, brah!”

Amy rolled her eyes, still not believing that this was the same guy who is about to pledge to be a faithful and responsible husband for the rest of his life. “I’ve made up my mind, your majesty. How soon can you get me a flight back home?”

Well, writing this chapter was definitely a trip! I'm not used to writing Jamy, but for the sake of the story it was a necessary evil. What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments below!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Chapter 2 is amazing, Vanessa, when will chapter 3 come out? 'crosses fingers and starts whispering please be tomorrow'

• Posted at:

SHADIA HERE!

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: Thank you, lovey!! Oh, I totally forgot to say, but I think the next chapter will be out either Monday or Tuesday. I wanna keep it consistent, so I can really have time to edit, and present my best work rather than just showing a piece I threw together the night before. I'll probably be sticking with the Tuesday and Friday days to update, but if I get a sudden breakthrough and my writing speeds up, the updates will be more frequent, and I'll let everyone know if that happens. In the mean time, I'll probably just post an excerpt to kind of tie everyone over between the updates. Anyway, thank you so much for reading!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

well, I will be waiting!

• Posted at:

SHADIA HERE!

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

BUMP!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

Here comes chapter three! I gotta admit, this is definitely one of my favorites, just because we kind of get a bit more background on Dan - he's always fun to write. Anyway, here it is!

Chapter 3: Homecoming

“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” - Leo Tolstoy 

Surreal, was the first thought to enter her head when she spotted the overwhelming glare of the mansion. It was just like stepping back in time. She blinked a couple of times to check that she wasn’t dreaming.

In all her years, Amy never thought that the hardest thing she would have to do was to walk back through the double oak doors of her replicated childhood home. Yet there she was, determined expression on her face, one small fist raised in the air on the verge of knocking, on the verge of announcing to the world that their once great Cahill leader was back - for a little while, at least.

She sighed, and started to lower her hand. Who was she kidding? It seemed like that Madrigal bravery had decided run out on her yet again, for Amy couldn’t find that little something within her to push her toward the past she spent so long running from.  

Maybe this wasn’t the best idea after all. With a quick glance and a dejected pout, she turned her back to the ivory exterior of the mansion, ready to make a quick and clean exit. She’d just have to make up some stupid lie to Dan as to why she couldn’t be there for him. Again. Yeah, she could already see how well he was going to take it.

“Going somewhere?” Speak of the devil.

“Dweeb, you scared me!” Amy jumped, holding a hand to her chest dramatically. Dan just raised an eyebrow, as if to say, “Really?”

It was then that Amy took a really good look at her little brother. It’s been so long since they have actually seen each other in person, that she felt tears prickling her eyes, just by looking at him and seeing how much he physically changed.  

Dan ran a hand through his sandy blonde hair and tapped his foot impatiently. He was so tall, Amy needed to look up at him just examine him properly. Aside from his soft, green eyes, everything about him seemed sharper. Heck, he even dressed sharper, actually sporting a button down shirt, and a pair of what seemed like very expensive shoes. Granted, the shirt did already have a stain on it and the shoes were covered in mud - after all, some things never change - but it was good to see him growing up a bit, and growing into his own person. And yeah, that did make her a little emotional.

“Are you done staring yet?” said the little nuisance, and Amy just rolled her eyes, and hugged him close despite his protests of sister germs.

“I’ve missed you,” she whispered, and unwillingly Dan relaxed.

“Yeah,” he responded. “I’ve missed you too.”   

The two siblings shook their heads while laughing at their sentimentalism, and proceeded to head inside. As they made their way down the luxurious halls, they struck up a conversation circling around their lives in the past couple of years. It’s been around two years, and so much has changed - to put it simply, there was a lot to talk about.

“And how is our mutual ‘friend’ Regina Devlin doing?” Dan asked. “Anything new we should expect? Well, not me personally, I don’t read her mushy-gushy love stories.”

“You don’t read, period,” Amy quickly retorted. “And their not mushy-gushy, and also they’re not always love stories.”

“Whatever you say, nerd,” Dan shrugged. “Have you told Jake yet?”

Ah.

“It doesn’t matter,” she said. “What’s it to him anyway?”

Dan let out an exasperated sigh. “You can’t be serious.”

Amy slumped her shoulders and slowed her pace. Okay, maybe he was right. However . . . “You know I can’t, Dan. The less people that know, the better.”

“Maybe the less strangers!” Dan exclaimed. “But you and Jake are practically married.”

Emphasis on practically, she thought.

“Look, I’m just saying that if my girlfriend has been a secret best-selling author for the past eight years, I’d wanna know.”

Amy sighed. “Well, then thank god you don’t have that problem, right?”

Dan just made a face and continued to walk on. As the two made their way through the grand ballroom in silence, Amy decided to try on another conversation topic for size. “So, how’d you do it?”

Dan frowned. “Do what?”

“Propose, duh.”

“Oh, that!” he exclaimed. “It was pretty ingenious actually. I almost set the mansion on fire.”

“You what?!”

“Relax, we’ve got insurance!”

“Not for burning down your own house, you don’t!”

“Well, thank god there was a fire extinguisher nearby then!” he exclaimed. “Anyway, what I did was I picked her up at her home, then I brought her over here, and we had a romantic, candlelit dinner outside, and I was like, dropping hints and it was super cute, if I do say so myself. Then I took her on a walk around the grounds, and I was making this super romantic long speech about how she’s my world, yada yada . . . and then we reached the back of the house, and this is where the almost fire happened - damn that sudden gust of wind. Veronica has this thing for candles, so what I did was arrange a bunch of candles in a ‘will you marry me’ formation, then I had a friend take a photo of us with their drone, and then send it to me. Once I got the picture, I showed it to her, and she was like, ‘oh my gosh!’ and yeah, that was basically it.”

Amy was speechless. Was this really her brother or an alien possessing her brother?

“This is all so . . .” Pause. “Extra.”

Dan rolled his eyes, and waved her comment away. “Whatever, hater. It wasn’t extra when she said yes and decided to marry me. So, I win.”

Amy smiled. What else could she do? Extra or not, the jealousy at her brother’s thoughtfulness towards his girlfriend was creeping in. Of course, she was happy for Dan. If this is what he truly wanted, then she was glad that her little brother finally got something that made him happy. Disappointment for the siblings came too easily, and when things like this happened, it was nothing short of a miracle. However, there was a small part of her that wished her own boyfriend could provide her the safety and stability Dan had just acquired, and soon. She knew it was dumb to have these types of irrational thoughts wandering around in her head, but she couldn’t help it. She blamed it on petty jealousy. After all, what else could it be?

“Yo, space cadet,” called her annoying brother. “I know you must wanna get settled and everything, but there’s someone I’d like you to meet first. Well, re-meet, actually.”

Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere and perfectly on queue, a high heel attached to a slender leg started to make it’s way out of the shadows, and stepped onto the spiral staircase. Amy’s mouth dropped open. The woman was nothing short of exquisite. Her clean cut lavender dress accented her light blue eyes and ended just below the knee, as her manicured hand gently held onto the railing. She smiled amiably showing off her dimples, brushed her chestnut hair back, and gently descended down the wooden steps. At a closer look, her entrance was similar to a goddess coming down from heaven above to greet her mortal subjects.    

Amy spared a glance at Dan and saw that his eyes were lit with mischief, and something sweet, something that almost resembled adoration. “Oh sister dear, allow me to introduce my fiance, Veronica O’Malley.”

The brunette took Amy’s hand and grinned. “I know you probably don’t remember me - we only met briefly before - but I’m so glad that you’re here today! Having my future sister-in-law as my maid-of-honor is a dream come true, honestly!”

Who died and made her a Hallmark card?

Despite her quiet sentiment regarding Veronica’s eagerness, Amy returned her smile and said, “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.” Ha ha, yeah, okay.

Veronica squealed, and quickly led Amy to the dining room while Dan waved a mocking goodbye and mouthed, good luck. “Oh, there’s just so many things to discuss! I know you must be exhausted from you flight, but we simply must cover some things before you rest, there’s so much to be done and so little time!”

Amy frowned. “I’m sorry?”

“You’re going to help me plan the wedding, silly!” Veronica laughed.

“But isn’t the wedding planner supposed to do that?”

“Only the details! You’re going to help me with the big picture. Kind of like my second-in-command!” the bride-to-be shrieked.

“Oh,” Amy said. “How . . . fun.”

“I know, right?” Veronica yelled enthusiastically. “First things first, we have to get started on the guest list for the engagement party, which I plan on having in three weeks, tops. The wedding is less than five months away, and I don’t want to push the party down further. We have to give everyone a good amount of time to make it. Also, at the party, I want to announce my bridesmaids and Dan will announce his groomsmen - very important, I am so going to need your help on choosing the people to accompany me on the big day! And we have to get the invites for the party out as soon as possible, I know you guys have a few friends and family members overseas . . . “

As Veronica ranted on, Amy’s head was spinning. So much information was being thrown at her, and she didn’t know how she was possibly going to remember it all.

I guess I’m just gonna have to wing this maid-of-honor thing, she thought, as she listened to the excitable girl babble on about the seating chart. Oh boy.

She had five months to get everything together and make this the best day of Dan’s life, no matter her feelings on the subject. He was her baby brother, after all, and she owed him a happy day.

“Okay,” Amy said. “Let’s start on those invitations then, shall we?”

And that's a wrap for today! Look out for the next chapter on Friday, and trust me, you won't wanna miss this one! Also, a shoutout to Shadia, a loyal reader and commenter - thanks so much for motivating me to keep going!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

fairymermaid5258

Aww!!! Thanks Vanessa! I just really like the story!!!

• Posted at:

SHADIA HERE!

Front sm

breezehawk40

Oh! How Exciting!  This story is so amazing. One of my favorites on here!

I can't wait! c:

Love mimi

• Posted at:

I ponder of something terrifying

'Cause this time there's no sound to hide behind

I find over the course of our human existence

One thing consists of consistence

And it's that we're all battling fear

Oh dear, I don't know if we know why we're here

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Shadia: I'm so glad! :)

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Mimi: Aw, thanks girl! That means the world!

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

writerbookworm21

Really enjoying this (and not just because Dan's fiance has the same name as me).

That Tolstoy quote though. I hated the book that's from.

• Posted at:

Veronica

Front sm

dawndancer15

aka ButterflyActress33

@Veronica: Thank you, and yeah, I had to read Anna Karenina for school, and it was honestly so long and complicated, so I feel your pain. 

~Vanessa~

• Posted at:

~Vanessa~ 

Gold Digger  

Front sm

writerbookworm21

I tried to read Anna Karenina on my own because I'd heard about it so much about it. All of that just for Anna to throw herself under a train? And then there's still 100 pages? I wasn't a fan.

• Posted at:

Veronica